Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Growlers
09-01-2010, 01:58 AM
Growlers
Anybody heard of these? A local brewery (J. Rhodells) sells growlers, which are essentially large jugs. Think moonshine. So you get it for a certain price, full of beer. Then you can take it back and have it re-filled (well, I think they swap you out a new one each time so they can steam clean it) with whatever brew you'd like. They sell a few national brands at the brewery, but also sell their own artisan beers - a few stable lines, then a few seasonal flavors, and even a line that changes the recipe slightly each month. Pretty cool and the price on refills is very reasonable. If I drank a lot of beer, I'd be all over it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2010, 09:41 PM
RE: Growlers
Most brewerys sell those, some only at the brewery itself, others do sell them through regular liquor stores (or whatever the equivalent is around the country)
I've collected a bunch of them here and there, and actually reuse them 9when I don't get them refilled at the brewery) for my homebrewing.
Easier to put a bunch in big half-gallon jugs than in small 12-oz bottles... or even the 22-oz ones I normally use.
04-05-2011, 03:01 PM
I first heard of those when I went to a place called Du Claw in Maryland, they're a pub and restaurant but they brew their own beer and bring out a new one every so often. I managed to time it right for the introduction of their Scotch Ale called <drumroll>....Twisted Kilt...lol! But I have to say, when I first heard them use the term "Growler" I just about fell off my bar stool!

There's a lot of it about.
04-05-2011, 03:53 PM
(04-05-2011 03:01 PM)Scottish_lass Wrote:  I first heard of those when I went to a place called Du Claw in Maryland, they're a pub and restaurant but they brew their own beer and bring out a new one every so often. I managed to time it right for the introduction of their Scotch Ale called <drumroll>....Twisted Kilt...lol! But I have to say, when I first heard them use the term "Growler" I just about fell off my bar stool!

I have heard the term used in the UK for an ugly woman out on the town. Growler that is.....

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Also a term for a very difficult moment in the bathroom.... (via Dennis Miller) I'll let you deduct the rest.

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
04-06-2011, 11:45 AM
In the immortal words of my long lost brother in law who passed away 14 years ago....."Come on ICE SCREAM!!!"

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user