Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cooking (and cleaning) as an act of love
09-24-2010, 04:01 PM
RE: Cooking (and cleaning) as an act of love
I have an ex-sister in law from there. She pronounced it: Lon-Giland. That right?

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2010, 08:22 PM
Heck I'd go just to see what Long Island is REALLY like. I have really only seen NYC, and the rest of Long Island only thru a periscope. Kinda hard find things thru a periscope ya know!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-24-2010, 08:44 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2010 09:00 PM by VincentUlyssis.)
Yeah, that's not even a thought but I'd sip The Macallan with him though I'm not really a scotch man. It'd have to be so laid back man; no gawking fools, just good food and random interesting conversation. So why would he when he could have that with his lovely wife and baby girl sleeping nearby.
(09-24-2010 04:01 PM)Mufasa Wrote:  I have an ex-sister in law from there. She pronounced it: Lon-Giland. That right?

Totally!
(09-24-2010 08:22 PM)boomer Wrote:  Heck I'd go just to see what Long Island is REALLY like. I have really only seen NYC, and the rest of Long Island only thru a periscope. Kinda hard find things thru a periscope ya know!

It's very nice, especially on the north and south shores, especially north of 25A and south of 27A. It's like New England with a cultured NY edge. of course along with that comes stereotypes but those people are part of the scenery as well.
So tomorrow is Saturday, so what are we cooking to show some love?
09-24-2010, 09:08 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2010 09:09 PM by Mufasa.)
"Of course along with that comes stereotypes but those people are part of the scenery as well."

Stereotypes? I'm from the southeast corner of Georgia... you really wanna discuss stereotypes?

09-24-2010, 09:23 PM
That's funny!
09-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Oh great. Mufasa knows where Kings Bay is I'll bet. Prolly grills gator meat on an open Bubba Q?

09-25-2010, 08:08 AM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2010 08:10 AM by Mufasa.)
I do indeed Boomeski. I tried to get them to let me scour the area for Carcharodon Megalodon fossil teeth - but I was denied.
Evidently I missed the application deadline and they were soon to flood the area again.
I have always found fossils fascinating, but there's something about holding a tooth in your hand that covers your entire hand up beyond your wrist. Great spans of time have always interested me as well. Holding one of those in your hand is like having a "TIME MACHINE".

HAAAA! Get it??? Time Machine!!! I crack myself up....

09-25-2010, 08:41 AM
I spent 3 months there in the navy just before I got married. I had heard they opened up some area of the bay, but I thought they were looking for an old Confederate navy ship lost in 1862, but apparently that may have only been a rumor. While I was there the enlisted man club served these awesome frozen strawberry margaritas that were superb, especially after spending 12 hours walking topside on a BLACK nuclear sub.

Can we get a rimshot for Mr Mufasa PLEASE!

09-25-2010, 02:26 PM
There is a beauty about that area (low country) that never leaves me. I grew up there, watching the tides - the seasons change (there really was a noticeable difference). Salt marshes - mirror-smooth inlets, the wind moving over the rivers.
I told Dawn years ago that the only sound that was more soothing to me than her voice when I am in pain, or just down - is waves on a shoreline. I truly miss that.
They will dig a hole here, fill it with rain water and sell it for "waterfront property". They have no idea...
As a kid, my Summer days were timed by tides. I haven't thought of that in years. <sigh>

09-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Here I thought I was the only one!

That area was pristine when I was there. Lots of birdwatchers and other naturalists. But - lets move in the guvinmint and destroy this here area and then sell it off for development. Typical if you ask me.

One of our most favorite places is on the Oregon Coast where I spenta ton of time watching the tides, walking the beach, contemplating love and life....called Haystack Rock. Bageleth knows about it as well, but I sure can relate to missing the tides. I HATE being landlocked thats fer sure!