Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cooking (and cleaning) as an act of love
02-10-2012, 05:07 AM
RE: Cooking (and cleaning) as an act of love
Will work for good company and laughs!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2012, 02:09 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2012 02:09 AM by Scythe Matters.)
(02-10-2012 05:07 AM)VincentUlyssis Wrote:  Will work for good company and laughs!

[Image: diapo52ebd23e1de56bc22719806dd56723.gif]

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
Find all posts by this user
02-11-2012, 10:59 PM
VincentUlyssis...when I think of your BnG name/handle I think of Vincent Vega, John Travolta's character in Pulp Fiction and Ulyssis, the dense thick novel by James Joyce.

"One ounce perception...One pound obscure"
Find all posts by this user
02-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Wasn't that character a killer? Gee thanks.Confused

Ulyssis is my "stage name" for D'Ulisse which literally means "of Ulysses" in Italian. My people left Greece during famine or war in ancient times to settle on the east coast of the Adriatic sea in the Appennine Mountains of Abruzzi (Torricella Peligna: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...Xyh28_ntA)

The natives of the italic peninsula must have named my people after the famous legend.

I too am sojourning in this life trying to reach my home...
08-06-2013, 09:03 AM
We are staying at Derek and Debbie's generational cabin in Otis, Massachusetts (see continually off thread).

Derek is such an example of the humble servant cooking for us every morning and evening. Although I've come a long way in my own culinary journey, he takes it to another level. As a couple they are so gentle and kind to one another, unlike Marisa and I who tend to at times be more sarcastic and less patient with one another. I feel challenged to be better (we have a great marriage but the stereotypical loud Italian thing surfaces more often than I'd like).

So in addition to cooking and cleaning as an act of love I really want to strive to be kinder and gentler even when it's not reciprocated. That can certainly be a challenge at times.
11-04-2013, 03:48 PM
This past September 2nd I made a commitment to myself to be COMPLETELY selfless as it pertains to my relationship. Since then I do all the shopping, cooking and KP everyday without exception. I have also committed myself to being a "yes" man whenever my wife asks me for anything.

I don't know why I didn't do this from the start.

As some here have noticed I can be a slow learner-always learning the hard way.
11-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Last night I made a nice corned beef recipe from The Joy of Cooking withe the paprika rub finished in the oven. Served it along with scalloped potatoes in a bacon cheddar sauce(from a box-sorry), fresh sautéed spinach and sautéed onions and mushrooms. It wasn't half bad!
03-23-2014, 05:59 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2014 06:01 PM by VincentUlyssis.)
Today we celebrated Mom's birthday. She turned 68 on March 19th (also St. Joseph's day in the Italian tradition). My lovely wife made roasted chicken, steamed string beans, mixed greens with spinach with cranberries and feta salad with Italian dressing. She also served a potato meat pie that a friend of hers made. The red wine flowed and we finished it all off with a nice Carvel cake and coffee. After we all took a walk to watch the sunset on the Nissequogue River. It was a great day.

I'm thankful that she put forth that effort for my Mom! She wouldn't let me near the kitchen to help or clean up. I wanted to and kept trying, but she brushed me away. I know better than to push the issue.

It was truly an act if selfless giving on her part!