Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Murder on the Capsaicin Express
04-24-2010, 08:25 PM
RE: Murder on the Capsaicin Express
Brutus, that was Dave Barry funny! As a woman who enjoys cooking and spices I have to say that your story reminded me of a family gathering where all the men, old and young, were having a contest to see who could eat the most hot peppers without stopping or drinking in between bites...men/boys will be boys. I say add the magic ingredient, garlic whenever you can.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-25-2010, 04:48 PM
As much as a wonderful cook my hubby is-----he is banned for awhile from making Chili at our house via our two daughters. It all started when at his place of work they would have a chili cook-off contest. He got some jalapenos from my mom( she has a flower pot sized plant that maybe produces a 1/2 a dozen or so pods) some were green and some had gone to a nice rich red in color and then he had me buy him a can of adobe peppers. I had to leave the house to run one of the girls for Pep band at our local school and while I was out, chopped up all the peppers and added the whole can into his pot of simmering experiment.
He added seasonings and the usual chili ingredients :tomatoes, meat, onions, garlic , sweet peppers ie green,yellow,red, orange. When I returned back home about 1/2 hour latter with our daughter the smell that wafted thru the house was fantastic. As I was asking what he had done the girls decided to "Q-t" the product. Both had their air cut off began choking , red faced and tears streaming down their faces etc etc. I raised an eyebrow and thought well it can't be that hot. I do like things with a bit of heat. The girls were correct it was flaming hot and as I doused the heat with some milk asked huh? He did admit that the hot sauce bottles(green and red) did slip a bit and that maybe a bit too much got in. The batch was about 3 quarts in size. I was worried that the pregnant girls at his place of work might not fair well, so he typed up a disclaimer. However one of the guys was of Mexican heritage and when he tasted it said "oh this is like mild stuff my grandma made for the kids". My hubby said that Ben had a plastic container with scotch bonnets chopped up and sprinkled them on top of his bowl. He didn't win the big prize, but an honorable mention. The girls have deemed it "Dad's Deadly Concoction" and have vowed to not eat chili unless they know that their Dad wasn't the cook.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
04-26-2010, 01:25 PM
I can totally relate with this story. Every time I go on a trip, I pick up a new bottle of hot sauce for my husband as a souvenir (the bottles w/skulls that have x's as eyes are always a big hit). He says he can handle the heat, so I go out of my way to choose something he has not tried yet (definitely challenging his manhood). To me, there is a point where you gotta say something is not quite right when your taste buds go numb and you have lost the ability to actually taste the product Confused . Oh yeah, and I can already hear the great one liners from "H"..."Is it hot in here or is it just me Cool?"
04-26-2010, 01:35 PM
This reminds me of a little stunt my wife pulled on me to teach me something, although what I have no idea. I LOVE chicken wings as a good Friday night munchie with a tankard or two of my favorite brew. One night she asked me what I wanted on her way home, and I being the masculine gullible man beast of the house replied "Bring some WANGS home fer a starvin young lad". What I didnt know was there was a new sports bar in town that she had found out had some particularly hot wings. Normally most foods that are advertised as "hot" weren't even spicy to me. I have been known to devour whole jalapenos without so much as a tear in my eye. When my wife arrived home, I smelled something hot, spicey, and good as she brought me a plate of what looked like delish wings indeed. As she set them in front of me, she warned me that these were pretty hot according to the warning label at the front of the bar, but me being the macho know it all man slave dismissed it as another one of those spice flunky warnings. Was I EVER wrong!! The first bite, and it felt like someone had just poured Drano and boiling water down my throat. In just 30 seconds I was sobbing uncontrollably. I made it through about 5 wings before I finally gave up, the sensation of boiling lava searing my windpipe, and my lips turning purple. It took two hours before the burning sensation went away. Oh my wife got the biggest laugh out of the whole episode, but I will never play the macho card again. Hard telling what her next revenge might be!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-26-2010, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2010 03:20 PM by Nanobabe.)
I guess it's my turn to share. While living in Atlanta, GA, a friend of mine from Macon came to visit. After a fun trip to the aquarium, we decided we were hungry; neither of us wanted fast food or standard chain-restaurant fare, so we wound up in a Mexican restaurant on the NE side of town. My first clue should've been when the waitress greeted us in Spanish. We managed to order in mangled Spanish, and when the food arrived, there was a roasted jalapeno on my plate. So, not thinking anything of it, I bit in....!!!!!! I have eaten jalapenos before, but this one was...special....AND I have an interesting reaction to such heat: I turn RED. And sweat. And get the watery eyes & nose (note to self: not a good impression for a date). I had the waitress worried! Then...despite my obvious service as a warning to others, my friend decided she had to try it to. Yep, she learns the hard way too. Between gasping for air, laughing, and ordering mas cervesa, it turned into a bonding ritual. Now whenever we get together, there are always jokes about the "Jalapeno Incident". (I've also scared the waitress at my local Thai restaurant here in D.C. when I've ordered the dish prepared spicy.)

"Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm." - JFK
04-26-2010, 04:21 PM
(04-21-2010 06:52 AM)ENTREWHO Wrote:  Funny you mention Melinda's. I live in New Orleans and have sampled/used hundreds of sauces. Tabasco was always the staple wherever you went to eat and crystal was usually at the places that didn't want to pay for Tabasco. I stumbled across Melinda's at a hot sauce tasting about 15 years ago. The rep explained that Tabasco is basically vinegar based--just vinegar and pepper. Melinda's is carrot based so the flavor is delivered better--not just fire but also flavor. It also comes in various degrees of heat. I prefer xtra hot. I'll use the tabasco in a pinch or even crystal, but for my money melinda's just works better and is much better when used while cooking--especially red beans and rice.

EntreWho-Dat! It's so nice to see another New Orleanian here in this special group. Again, I'm humbled and honored to be included. But back to the sauce... Melindas is a good one for sure. After reading a few threads, I was reminded of my favourite sauce for sure: " 'Try Me' Tiger Sauce ". Using it in combination with some Italian Salad Dressing, worcheshtershire and lemon juice, it makes a great marinade and basting sauce for a Redfish filet, scales on, of course, for the grill, with charcoal, of course, on the Weber, of course, after you have brought it home from the fishing excursion. Even better is a shore lunch, using driftwood and whatever available things to light, cat-tails and folding chairs not included.
04-26-2010, 06:05 PM
(04-24-2010 08:25 PM)Kerry Wrote:  Brutus, that was Dave Barry funny! As a woman who enjoys cooking and spices I have to say that your story reminded me of a family gathering where all the men, old and young, were having a contest to see who could eat the most hot peppers without stopping or drinking in between bites...men/boys will be boys. I say add the magic ingredient, garlic whenever you can.

This should probably go under the Books thread, but you reminded me of "Chilidogs Only Bark At Night".
04-26-2010, 06:48 PM
(04-24-2010 05:23 AM)kolacky girl Wrote:  Anyone here watch Man vs. Food on the Travel Channel? Adam Richman travels the U.S. from city to city taking on some of the most outrageous eating challenges ...my favorite episodes are when his challenges involve something really, really hot.

That's the first thing I thought of when I read the article was Adam...that guy is a beast when it comes to hot food. I could never figure out what the "Ghost" chili was...that was the episode where when they cooked with it they actually wore gas masks because of the noxious fumes it gave off.
04-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Yes, I have seen the episode where he attempted to eat the ultra-spicy food, and smoke was coming out of his ears like an old Yosemite Sam cartoon. Actually, all day while enjoying this site and grill, I have been watching the Travel Channel Bizarre Foods show with the gone bald host Zimmern. He's no Anthony Bourdain, but what can I say. He said that the sardine lenten pizza nearly made him convert, and nearly made me snort-laugh the capsasin-free milk out of my nose.
04-26-2010, 10:32 PM
I make a mean vegetarian chili that I took to our chili cook off at work. The first year, I labeled it as vegetarian and Weight Watcher approved. It barely got any votes, even though those who did bother to try it labeled it as hottest. I work with mostly men, so they just passed it by. The second year, I just labeled it as "Tiffini's Tearjerker Chili" and it was the first batch gone, and won hottest chili and came in third on tastiest. So yeah, I get the whole 'dudes' thing. But fellas, meat and heat aren't the only reasons to love a good bowl of chili. Good reasons, yes, but not the only reasons.