Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Murder on the Capsaicin Express
08-07-2010, 04:03 PM
RE: Murder on the Capsaicin Express
I was wondering if you would find your way to this thread. Had a hunch you would. Welcome aboard Holly.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2010, 05:10 PM
(08-07-2010 04:03 PM)Brutus Wrote:  I was wondering if you would find your way to this thread. Had a hunch you would. Welcome aboard Holly.

Thanks for the invitation to the board! Tongue
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-27-2010, 05:39 AM
So speaking of too hot to handle: We had a family chili n chocolate cake n football thing a few weeks ago. It's an old family tradition for me to make chili and chocolate cake for a few football games a year. So, as usual I held WAY off on the spices in my chili, making two batches - one barely even hot enough to be called hot, and the other half as hot as I usually make it. We're talking, while I was eating batch #2, I was lamenting how mild it was and thinking about adding some raw cayenne to it, until I realized that would taste like crap.

But everyone else around me is sweating profusely and swearing and piling 'neutralizerzs' on the chili (cheese, crackers, milk). My brother in law even stated that his throat was swelling a little and was concerned about having to go to the ER.

I don't understand it. I'm not one of those 'hot' people, who's always bragging about my prowess of eating raw chili's or something. I like a nice spicy bowl of chili now and then, and a few extra hot wings, and I add that green stuff to my chips at the Mexican restaurant. But it seriously doesn't bother me to eat stuff like that. I don't sweat or even have to rush to my drink. Am I an undercover "foodie hottie?" I never smoked, or drank heavily or any of the things that kill off the taste buds. And I never really liked the hot stuff till a little later in life. Just trying to uncover the mystery of how this stuff doesn't bother me and I never really realized it before. Weird.
09-27-2010, 06:41 AM
Chili and chocolate cake. Around my house you start eating that way somebody is pregnant!

Couple years ago, I bought some habanero plants and put them in my garden, and planted them as far away from anything else as I could. One plant I let the peppers turn red, figuring the redder the pepper the hotter they would be. Being in a family that does not like hot food, my thought was to put them in the food dryer and make a habanero powder that I could put on my chili so it would be a bit spicy.

After letting the harvest dry I got an old coffee bean grinder, put the peppers in there to grind.Not realizing that grinders of this sort are not....airtight?, I began grinding the peppers into a powder. Only some of the powder was flying out of the grinder and into my face, and befroe I realized it I was being peppersprayed by my own hand. And there is simply no manly way out of that situation that does not involv sobbing crying screaming kicking eyes running eardrums on fire etc etc.

But - I did manage to get the peppers ground up, and the result was a wonderful, yet rather potent, powder that I used on omlettes, chili, and tacos! Now I go buy the peppers, and use a wet towel for grinding. Keeps the powder from flying in my face.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
09-28-2010, 01:25 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2010 01:28 AM by ePhilosopher9.)
Erudete vs. Crue'dete

er·u·dite (ry-dt, r-)
adj.
Characterized by erudition; learned. See Synonyms at learned.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VERSUS

Hors D’Oeuvres
(Appetizer Trays Available for Cocktail Parties)
(Each Tray Prepared for 25 Except Shrimp Cocktail)

~ Bruschetta Pomodoro ~
Grilled Italian Bread Topped with Fresh Diced Plum Tomatoes
and a Touch of Olive Oil and Fresh Basil
$20.00

~ Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail ~
Chilled Jumbo Shrimp Served with Cocktail Sauce and Fresh Lemon
$100.00

~ Gamberi Fritti ~
Shrimp Lightly Breaded with Japanese Bread Crumbs Fried until Golden Served
with a Spicy Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
$40.00

~ Funghi Ripien i~
Mushroom Caps Stuffed with Crabmeat and Baked to Perfection
$40.00

~ Fresh Spring Roll ~
Spring Rolls Served with Spicy Plum Sauce
$35.00

~ Antipasto Fritti ~
An Assortment of Finger Foods Lightly Battered and Fried:
Zucchini Sticks, Chicken Tenders and Spring Rolls
$50.00

~ Fried Zucchini ~
Breaded Zucchini Fried and Served with a Spicy Marinara Sauce
$30.00

~ Calamari Fritti ~
Crispy Calamari Served with a Spicy Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
$40.00

~ Spiedini Di Pollo ~
Skewers of Chicken, Peppers, Mushrooms and
Onion Grilled and Served with a Spicy Sweet & Sour Sauce
$30.00

~ Spiedini Di Conchighlies ~
Skewers made of Scallops Wrapped in Bacon with Fresh Tomatoes and Grilled
$45.00

~ Breaded Chicken Tenders ~
Chicken Strips Breaded and Served with Barbeque Sauce
$35.00

~ Portobello ~
Grilled Portobello Mushrooms Topped with Mozzarella Cheese and Roasted Peppers
$30.00

~ Mozzarella Fritti ~
Fried Mozzarella Served with a Marinara Sauce
$30.00

~ Cru d’ete ~
An Assortment of Fresh Vegetables Served with our House Dip
$25.00

~ Formaggi Assorti ~
An Assortment of Cheeses and Fresh Fruit
$40.00

~ Mini Hot Dog ~
Miniature Hot Dogs Wrapped in Puff Pastry and Baked
$40.00

[Middle English erudit, from Latin rudtus, past participle of rudre, to instruct : -, ex-, ex- + rudis, rough, untaught; see rude.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eru·ditely adv.
eru·diteness n.
Word History: One might like to be erudite but hesitate to be rude. This preference is supported by the etymological relationship between erudite and rude. Erudite comes from the Latin adjective rudtus, "well-instructed, learned," from the past participle of the verb rudre, "to educate, train." The verb is in turn formed from the prefix ex-, "out, out of," and the adjective rudis, "untaught, untrained," the source of our word rude. The English word erudite is first recorded in a work possibly written before 1425 with the senses "instructed, learned." Erudite meaning "learned" is supposed to have become rare except in sarcastic use during the latter part of the 19th century, but the word now seems to have been restored to favor.
but the word now seems to have been restored to favor.
[/quote]

er, flavour.
10-08-2010, 06:10 PM
It's a strange city, so I insisted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8_gk6Ry7ww

To rant.
10-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Sounds fabulous!

I know all about the "Oops, I peppersprayed myself again". It happens when I am frying up some habanero peppers and then add some water - whoosh - pepper spray in the face. I blame my short term memory [read: total wino] for letting that happen more than once.

Holly

(09-27-2010 06:41 AM)boomer Wrote:  Chili and chocolate cake. Around my house you start eating that way somebody is pregnant!

Couple years ago, I bought some habanero plants and put them in my garden, and planted them as far away from anything else as I could. One plant I let the peppers turn red, figuring the redder the pepper the hotter they would be. Being in a family that does not like hot food, my thought was to put them in the food dryer and make a habanero powder that I could put on my chili so it would be a bit spicy.

After letting the harvest dry I got an old coffee bean grinder, put the peppers in there to grind.Not realizing that grinders of this sort are not....airtight?, I began grinding the peppers into a powder. Only some of the powder was flying out of the grinder and into my face, and befroe I realized it I was being peppersprayed by my own hand. And there is simply no manly way out of that situation that does not involv sobbing crying screaming kicking eyes running eardrums on fire etc etc.

But - I did manage to get the peppers ground up, and the result was a wonderful, yet rather potent, powder that I used on omlettes, chili, and tacos! Now I go buy the peppers, and use a wet towel for grinding. Keeps the powder from flying in my face.
10-09-2010, 07:58 PM
The hotter the better! Cool I have to tame down everything I make, not just for the kids but my husband as well. Party poopers. I hate making two different batches, but sometimes you just gotta have the good stuff.
10-10-2010, 09:40 AM
I have the same problem. Nobody in my family likes spicy stuff, so I make blander versions for them, but stand back for mine. My wife is a good sport about it though. When one of my coworkers brought me a small baggie (snort!) of habanero peppers a few weeks ago, she diced up two of them for a breakfast omlette. The funny part, though, was she was wearing rubber gloves while chopping up those peppers!

What I do is go to the mexican grocer here in town and buy up a couple bags of dried peppers of various varieties, grind them up, and use the powder on just about anything from mashed potatoes to pork to chicken to rice!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
10-14-2010, 07:37 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2010 07:51 PM by ePhilosopher9.)
Spicy as Chile?

Brought up from the mine, there must be such a sensational time capsule wind tunnel going on in South America these days.

With all 33 miners brought back up successfully, (all is for the best!)

One miner, who had been in the collapsed mine for 69 days, noticed the hoist mechanism on the machine and saw the big wheel spinning, was heard saying, as he emerged from the capsule,

"any escape might help us through this unattractive truth",

and he just keeps repeating like clockwork...

"the timeless soul attraction,

/watch?v=yAhQYYWXo6A

Just get me to Estadio Nacional on time!"
(knew I should have taken a left at Albuquerque, where's my fliberdygibbet flip flops anyway)