Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Murder on the Capsaicin Express
04-25-2010, 04:48 PM
RE: Murder on the Capsaicin Express
As much as a wonderful cook my hubby is-----he is banned for awhile from making Chili at our house via our two daughters. It all started when at his place of work they would have a chili cook-off contest. He got some jalapenos from my mom( she has a flower pot sized plant that maybe produces a 1/2 a dozen or so pods) some were green and some had gone to a nice rich red in color and then he had me buy him a can of adobe peppers. I had to leave the house to run one of the girls for Pep band at our local school and while I was out, chopped up all the peppers and added the whole can into his pot of simmering experiment.
He added seasonings and the usual chili ingredients :tomatoes, meat, onions, garlic , sweet peppers ie green,yellow,red, orange. When I returned back home about 1/2 hour latter with our daughter the smell that wafted thru the house was fantastic. As I was asking what he had done the girls decided to "Q-t" the product. Both had their air cut off began choking , red faced and tears streaming down their faces etc etc. I raised an eyebrow and thought well it can't be that hot. I do like things with a bit of heat. The girls were correct it was flaming hot and as I doused the heat with some milk asked huh? He did admit that the hot sauce bottles(green and red) did slip a bit and that maybe a bit too much got in. The batch was about 3 quarts in size. I was worried that the pregnant girls at his place of work might not fair well, so he typed up a disclaimer. However one of the guys was of Mexican heritage and when he tasted it said "oh this is like mild stuff my grandma made for the kids". My hubby said that Ben had a plastic container with scotch bonnets chopped up and sprinkled them on top of his bowl. He didn't win the big prize, but an honorable mention. The girls have deemed it "Dad's Deadly Concoction" and have vowed to not eat chili unless they know that their Dad wasn't the cook.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Murder on the Capsaicin Express - Brutus - 04-19-2010, 08:00 PM
RE: Murder on the Capsaicin Express - spudpotatohead - 04-20-2010, 05:18 PM
RE: Murder on the Capsaicin Express - spudpotatohead - 04-20-2010, 07:27 PM
RE: Murder on the Capsaicin Express - Ani - 10-16-2011, 10:17 PM
RE: Murder on the Capsaicin Express - ENTREWHO - 04-21-2010, 06:52 AM
RE: Murder on the Capsaicin Express - 2Beers - 04-25-2010 04:48 PM
RE: Murder on the Capsaicin Express - zenjen - 04-29-2010, 12:04 AM
RE: Murder on the Capsaicin Express - zenjen - 05-01-2010, 09:02 PM
RE: Murder on the Capsaicin Express - Rey - 03-24-2011, 10:50 AM