Christmas!
09-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Christmas!
Tell us your favorite Christmas memory!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-2010, 10:35 PM
RE: Christmas!
Oh man Christmas for me was epic. Dad must have been tight with Santa because he came to my window every year. Then when I was 35, santa quit coming? Why? What did I do?

I'm looking forward to this Christmas, I think I have it off.
But the best was when I got a white 1980 Yamaha MX 100. Brand new!
Christmas' with dad were all the best. And the best dad he was.

Don't talk smack about Total!!
Find all posts by this user
09-19-2010, 11:24 PM
I don't know if I'd call this one a "favorite" memory, but a memorable one.

When I was probably 6 or 7, on Christmas morning, my parents and I were unwrapping gifts, and my dad decided to dispose of the boxes and wrapping paper in the fireplace. He lit the contents, and we soon discovered that he had forgotten to open the flu to the chimney. Black smoke was billowing out of the fireplace and my mom and went outside to the porch, in our pajamas, and waited for the smoke to dissipate and the house to air out. I remember that the morning was really cold, and there might have been snow.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
09-20-2010, 08:37 AM
I don't have many "good" Christmas memories. I was taken from my parents when I was 7 and got bounced around a few times in foster homes. I guess my best Christmas memories are when I got married and had kids of my own. Our first Christmas I was stationed in Charleston, South Carolina. My sub was being dismantled to conform to the SALT II Nuclear Arms Reduction Treaty (say that 4 times real fast!) and South Carolina didn't have what I would call a reall Christmas Tree. Having grown up in Oregon, I was used to finding a Christmas Tree out at the Helvetia Tree Farm. In South Carolina they were selling these Charlie Brown trees for about $50, so rather than spend that kind of cash on a pathetic looking thing, we took some garland and shaped out a tree on the corner wall in the living room. We didnt have much to put under it, but it sure cheered us up.

There are others with our kids, but that first one is one we always talk about when the kids get all bummed out because they only got 4 presents last year instead of 6.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
09-20-2010, 08:22 PM
1974? Not really sure. My parents, my brother Joseph and I driving out to my grandparents on my mother's side on Long Island after being with my paternal uncle in Blauvelt, Rockland County, NY. I remember the food and family, the excitement of all the cousins, getting into the cold car in our pajamas and jackets; seeing the houses and buildings lit up, then driving over the bridges lit up on Christmas Eve. Looking at everything in that I was especially excited to bring gifts for "Mom mom and Pop pop" and their pets, "Tweetie Pie" the rescued sparrow, "Fluffy," the rescued dock Tomcat, and "Ginger" the pure bread collie. Knowing I would wake up there and Santa coming...I was very content and went to bed in my grandparents' house with such a hopeful feeling, warm and secure. It was a simpler time for me.
09-20-2010, 11:29 PM
(09-20-2010 08:22 PM)VincentUlyssis Wrote:  1974? Not really sure. My parents, my brother Joseph and I driving out to my grandparents on my mother's side on Long Island after being with my paternal uncle in Blauvelt, Rockland County, NY. I remember the food and family, the excitement of all the cousins, getting into the cold car in our pajamas and jackets; seeing the houses and buildings lit up, then driving over the bridges lit up on Christmas Eve. Looking at everything in that I was especially excited to bring gifts for "Mom mom and Pop pop" and their pets, "Tweetie Pie" the rescued sparrow, "Fluffy," the rescued dock Tomcat, and "Ginger" the pure bread collie. Knowing I would wake up there and Santa coming...I was very content and went to bed in my grandparents' house with such a hopeful feeling, warm and secure. It was a simpler time for me.

I'd trade almost everything for that feeling again.

Don't talk smack about Total!!
09-20-2010, 11:42 PM
(09-20-2010 08:22 PM)VincentUlyssis Wrote:  1974? Not really sure. My parents, my brother Joseph and I driving out to my grandparents on my mother's side on Long Island after being with my paternal uncle in Blauvelt, Rockland County, NY. I remember the food and family, the excitement of all the cousins, getting into the cold car in our pajamas and jackets; seeing the houses and buildings lit up, then driving over the bridges lit up on Christmas Eve. Looking at everything in that I was especially excited to bring gifts for "Mom mom and Pop pop" and their pets, "Tweetie Pie" the rescued sparrow, "Fluffy," the rescued dock Tomcat, and "Ginger" the pure bread collie. Knowing I would wake up there and Santa coming...I was very content and went to bed in my grandparents' house with such a hopeful feeling, warm and secure. It was a simpler time for me.

That feeling sounds similar to my paternal grandparents' house for holidays! My grandparents were from Oklahoma & Texas and the meals that were served were delicious, and the atmosphere was so warm and welcoming! It was wonderful!

09-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Ahh, I long for those times once in awhile. No bills, no work, no stress. We were just kids playing with our cousins and our toys. I would stay over my grandparents' for at least a week until New Years. My grandfather was a teacher at Aviation High School in Long Island City, Queens, so he was off with us. When my little cousins would leave my brother and I would play with our toys and models (I loved to build model airplanes) later Christmas night. That hour before bedtime, when my grandmother would turn down the lights, Christmas songs from the 40's, 50's and 60's (not the overplayed nonsense they play now) on the stereo, which was it's own piece of furniture-was a peaceful time. I never wanted it to end. It was like that cool late summer day today when you realize tomorrow is autumn and the moment will soon be gone. It's joyful and melancholy all at the same time.
09-21-2010, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2010 07:40 PM by Bageleth.)
(09-20-2010 08:37 AM)boomer Wrote:  I don't have many "good" Christmas memories. I was taken from my parents when I was 7 and got bounced around a few times in foster homes. I guess my best Christmas memories are when I got married and had kids of my own. Our first Christmas I was stationed in Charleston, South Carolina. My sub was being dismantled to conform to the SALT II Nuclear Arms Reduction Treaty (say that 4 times real fast!) and South Carolina didn't have what I would call a reall Christmas Tree. Having grown up in Oregon, I was used to finding a Christmas Tree out at the Helvetia Tree Farm. In South Carolina they were selling these Charlie Brown trees for about $50, so rather than spend that kind of cash on a pathetic looking thing, we took some garland and shaped out a tree on the corner wall in the living room. We didnt have much to put under it, but it sure cheered us up.

There are others with our kids, but that first one is one we always talk about when the kids get all bummed out because they only got 4 presents last year instead of 6.

I'm sorry that your childhood didn't have any good memories for the holidays. It is great though that you've been able to create some with your family and provided your kids with fun ones.
(09-21-2010 06:59 PM)VincentUlyssis Wrote:  Ahh, I long for those times once in awhile. No bills, no work, no stress. We were just kids playing with our cousins and our toys. I would stay over my grandparents' for at least a week until New Years. My grandfather was a teacher at Aviation High School in Long Island City, Queens, so he was off with us. When my little cousins would leave my brother and I would play with our toys and models (I loved to build model airplanes) later Christmas night. That hour before bedtime, when my grandmother would turn down the lights, Christmas songs from the 40's, 50's and 60's (not the overplayed nonsense they play now) on the stereo, which was it's own piece of furniture-was a peaceful time. I never wanted it to end. It was like that cool late summer day today when you realize tomorrow is autumn and the moment will soon be gone. It's joyful and melancholy all at the same time.

I didn't have cousins who came to visit much (and my sister didn't arrive until I was nearly 15), so I had my grandparents all to myself when I would go over there. They lived just outside of a small town, right in front of some woods (which contained an old cemetery, which didn't bother me for years until I saw "Night of the Living Dead"). My granddad would walk through those woods and gather fir branches and make a wreath or a swag for the outside of the house. My grandma would gather small pine cones and fir twigs and simmer those in a pot of water on the stove. There was always a fire in the fireplace. It was so nice!

09-21-2010, 08:34 PM
The amazement I felt upon seeing that Santa truly had eaten the cookies that I had left, and drank the milk in the fridge (with his name on it). No one should EVER be forced to drink WARM MILK! ACCCCKKKK!
Santa agreed with me!

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.