Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pumpkins (and anything else in the squash family)
09-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Pumpkins (and anything else in the squash family)
Pumpkin season is approaching....which for us will mean a trip to the pumpkin patch at a nearby farm.

Does anyone have any special recipes to share? Breads? Cakes? Pies? Cookies? etc.?

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-22-2010, 11:20 AM
RE: Pumpkins (and anything else in the squash family)
Aside from roasted & salted pumpkin seeds, I very rarely eat members of the squash family (which, apparently, are technically fruits. Who knew?)

Too many meals of being forced, as a kid, to sit and finish my squash at dinner time - which tasted, to me, like some sort of turpentine or other mineral spirit - put me off them for good. Cannot even stomach pumpkin pie anymore, no matter how much whipping cream is on it. *gag*

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
09-22-2010, 11:55 AM
(09-22-2010 11:20 AM)old honda rider Wrote:  Aside from roasted & salted pumpkin seeds, I very rarely eat members of the squash family (which, apparently, are technically fruits. Who knew?)

Too many meals of being forced, as a kid, to sit and finish my squash at dinner time - which tasted, to me, like some sort of turpentine or other mineral spirit - put me off them for good. Cannot even stomach pumpkin pie anymore, no matter how much whipping cream is on it. *gag*

No squash? Not even with brown sugar? No pumpkin pie slathered in whipped cream? I'm sorry! It's not one of my absolute favorites to eat in it's natural form, but I do like it in pies, breads and cookies.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
09-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Actually, around these parts we do what we call "autumn loaf". If you have ever had it - wow is it good, especially for those of us with a sweet tooth. We also do up a lot of zuchini bread, banana loaf, even some acorn squash with lots o maple syrup (gotta have the real stuff for that!) and even grill up some butternut squash, although I am still perfecting that. UGH!

I'll post a couple of our recipes later. Right now - its off to troubleshoot a laptop. I think Bubba's curse somehow got mine all whacko!!!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
09-23-2010, 05:47 AM
Take any type of squash and cut into 1" cubes. Throw in a pan with either a bit of oil or water and start cooking through. Meanwhile, add either a diced chilli or two or some grated ginger. When the squash is just tender, add some dried fruit of your choice (my fave is dried white cherries but cranberries work fine). Continue to heat til squash completely cooked and serve as a side.

This is one of those "do what you want" recipes.

I have loads of other pumpkin recipes so will try to post some more when I get chance...

With all of my dietary restrictions, I'm left with lipstick and water
10-04-2010, 10:53 PM
I just had this Afghan pumpkin bolani that was incredible: http://www.bolaniandsauce.com/products.p...=1#Pumpkin Bolani
I had never heard of this but I was at the local "farmer's market" yesterday and this Afghan company was there and I bought some of the pumpkin bread (bolani) and it's my new favorite thing!

I found this recipe online, though I haven't tried it yet: http://blog.streaminggourmet.com/?p=2230

Totally vegan, totally pumpkin, and totally yummy!

Holly
10-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Well, lets see....wife is laid up sick, but I think she located a couple of different recipes for autumn loaf. We also got some acorn squash the other day for dinner some time this week. Must say - that pumpkin bolani sounds great! Been awhile since I had it. Last time was in Conneticut and boy was it ever good, but I dont get it very often.

Has anyone ever used squash in a bread, like a banana type bread? About this time of year there is an awful lot of squash around, and a lot of times we make zuchini bread, but never anything with squash.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
10-06-2010, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2012 09:54 PM by 2Beers.)
Ok, I thought about maybe putting this in the dessert area, but it does contain pumpkin.
This is a fall favorite that we make called : Frozen Pumpkin Torte.

You can either make your own favorite graham cracker crust -- enough to line a 13X9 pan or buy a couple of pre-made 9 or 10 inch pie ones from the cooking section in the grocery store.

Crust--
2 cups of finely crushed graham crackers
1/2 cup melted butter(1 stick)
1 Tablespoon of white sugar
Mix all three together well and put into a 13X9 pan, pat and press to form a crust then set aside.

Filling--
2 cups of canned pumpkin(NOT the pre-ready Pie filling type)
1 cup of dark brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 gallon of vanilla ice cream, softened

Beat pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, extract and spices until well mixed. Then fold in the ice cream and again mix well. Pour over crust and spread evenly. Cover with tin foil and freeze 24 hours or longer. To serve remove from freezer and allow to soften slightly, cut and serve with whipped cream.

It's a nice make ahead dessert and keeps well in the freezer. I've even tried this with a apple ice cream, and it turned out pretty good.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
10-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Anyone for pancakes?

Pumpkin-Oat Pancakes

1/2 c. rolled oats (porrage, quick, or regular, whatever you have)
1c. buttermilk
1 egg white
1 whole egg
1T. vegatable oil
1/2c. pumpkin puree
1/3c. milk
1/2c. whole wheat flour
1/3c. all purpose flour (or just make it all all-purpose, it turns out fine)
2T. wheat germ (or leave it out, if you don't have any)
1T. sugar (or to taste)
1t. baking powder
1/2t. baking soda
1/4t. cinnamon (a little nutmeg and cloves to taste are nice too)

In a large bowl, combine oats and buttermilk, and let the mixture stand for about 15 minutes or longer to soften.
Add the remaining wet ingredients, blending them well.
In a smaller bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Stir them into the wet ingredients, mixing them untill the batter is fairly smooth. Add a little more milk if the batter seems to be too thick.
Fry away! Yummy!

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
10-29-2010, 12:19 AM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2010 01:14 AM by ePhilosopher9.)
sounds like pumpkin batter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0thH3qnHTbI

and sour mash punkin' rigotelli with a side of wasabi and a whiff of that buuby carnacophia alanalagalous dereii
on the side over the mashed potatos
nudged against the rice and beans and the costumes
sounds like pumpkin butter
and sour mash, not squash!
that's what she said

as i slid the sweet potato pone into her unwitting plastic pumpkin

putta corgan it!

dat's what she said
(10-29-2010 12:19 AM)ePhilosopher9 Wrote:  sounds like pumpkin batter

and sour mash punkin' rigotelli with a side of wasabi and a whiff of that buuby carnacophia alanalagalous dereii
on the side over the mashed potatos
nudged against the rice and beans and the costumes
sounds like pumpkin butter
and sour mash, not squash!
that's what she said

as i slid the sweet potato pone into her unwitting plastic pumpkin

putta corgan it!

dat's what she said

Sorry about not labeling the tube-nosed fruit bat picture
as The Rent's Too High Party nominee