Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night
04-19-2011, 02:38 PM
RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night
(04-17-2011 04:19 PM)boomer Wrote:  Uh oh - a Laphroig dissenter?
Let's say... yet to be convinced. I sampled Laphroaig at the beginning of my foray into Scotch, so my novice pallet was probably beaten to smithereens with what I might consider now, wonderful peatiness. Time for another tasting, methinks.

Oh, the problems I have...

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2011, 03:11 PM

I must say, I do remember quite well my first taste of this intriguing
elixer. At the time, I was newly wed. My beautiful significant other and I
happened to be on our honeymoon in the gorgeous setting of Emerald
Lake, just outside Field,British Columbia. Once settled in, we acquainted
ourselves with the bar (not a bad thing when your on vacation). And I
distinctly remember the waiter asking how I would like that served. I
thought for just a moment and then came my reply, " I'll have it neat if
you will." After hearing so much about this treasured substance, I did not
want to have anything interfere with my first impression. Needless to
say, as I am sure many can atest to, it was marvelous. No need to gulp
this stuff down, just slow, smooth sippin' works fine.
Ever since that first pour, I grab a bottle of "the twelve" when I'm ready
for a treat. Other than that,,,, well,,, you'll have to skip on over to the
beer forum to get the rest of the story.

Peace, Love, and Good Happiness Stuff
04-20-2011, 06:40 AM
Has anyone had Templeton Rye?? One of my faves but hard to get (and I even live in IA!) Great story behind that "dark water" too.
04-20-2011, 08:57 PM
(04-20-2011 06:40 AM)RythymDog Wrote:  Has anyone had Templeton Rye?? One of my faves but hard to get (and I even live in IA!) Great story behind that "dark water" too.

I will have to put that on the list. One of my favorite bourbons, Basil Hayden, is heavy on the Rye side, for a bourbon that is, so that makes me think I could enjoy a pure Rye.

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
04-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Have to chime in here... I'm not a huge Whisky fan but since my Hubby is, I have tasted a few. His favorite is an Irish one; Tullamore Dew. Have tasted Laphroig. When I began reading Bubba's stuff and saw frequent mention of The Macallan, I decided to buy Hubby a bottle so we could try it. I could only afford 10 year. And it was good. A friend gave us a bottle of 15 year and it's even better. It really is the only Whiskey I like.

When we were in Edinburgh, we went through the Whiskey Museum, which included a tasting. I preferred the Highland flavor so it would figure that I enjoy the Macallan. Smile

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
04-21-2011, 06:10 AM
(04-20-2011 11:59 PM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  Have to chime in here... I'm not a huge Whisky fan but since my Hubby is, I have tasted a few. His favorite is an Irish one; Tullamore Dew. Have tasted Laphroig. When I began reading Bubba's stuff and saw frequent mention of The Macallan, I decided to buy Hubby a bottle so we could try it. I could only afford 10 year. And it was good. A friend gave us a bottle of 15 year and it's even better. It really is the only Whiskey I like.

When we were in Edinburgh, we went through the Whiskey Museum, which included a tasting. I preferred the Highland flavor so it would figure that I enjoy the Macallan. Smile

Its not the quantity, its the quality. Always remember that with whisky. Scotch has flavors I learn about with every dram and every tasting. As with you the longer it ages the better it is, as in the Dalwhinnie or the Balvenie - both 15 year malts are considerably smoother and better. Like wine it gets better with time. But - where scotch whisky shines, Irish whiskey is a bit more harsh on the palatte, but I will have to try a sampling of your suggestion.

I was stationed in Scotland for a couple years. I went to a couple of the distilleries and found that the Highlands appealed to me the best, but at 21 my palatte had not "learned" how to really taste, so I will return and try again in a couple years. Just curious - did you ever make it to the military tattoo at the castle in Edinburgh?

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-21-2011, 09:13 PM
I'll probably get lynched around here, but I had a sample of The Macallan 12-year, and I wasn't really impressed. It wasn't bad - in fact it was quite good, but I'm determining I prefer more smokiness, more peatiness in scotch than the 12-year provides.
04-22-2011, 06:18 AM
Nah - we won't lynch ya. Ex lax in your morning coffee perhaps!

Actually I agree with you to some extent. I enjoy the Macallan, very much so. Its an easy smooth whisky to drink, but I prefer a smokier or a more peaty flavor to the malt. Now if you want to have fun - try some cask strength Macallan. Thats got flavor to boot.

I hope to try a Talisker or Oban in the next couple weeks.

04-22-2011, 07:45 AM
(04-20-2011 06:40 AM)RythymDog Wrote:  Has anyone had Templeton Rye?? One of my faves but hard to get (and I even live in IA!) Great story behind that "dark water" too.
Where in IA? I see it here in Des Moines, at Central City Liquors if I remember correctly.

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
04-22-2011, 08:33 AM
I think I have seen it in Benz Beverage Depot here in Cedar Rapids. At least I think I have. I'm so busy perusing the scotches I dont spend much time in that section.