Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pumpkins this year
09-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Pumpkins this year
So does anybody know how the pumpkin crop did this year? Will I actually be able to buy canned pumpkin? Cause I STILL haven't been able to find it, and we live 10 minutes from the Pumpkin Capitol of the World.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-2010, 08:52 PM
RE: Pumpkins this year
(09-26-2010 07:31 PM)Laffitupfzbl Wrote:  So does anybody know how the pumpkin crop did this year? Will I actually be able to buy canned pumpkin? Cause I STILL haven't been able to find it, and we live 10 minutes from the Pumpkin Capitol of the World.

Well, I can't speak for everywhere, but my brother's garden is full of them. I live in an ag area, north of Eugene, OR, and the fields seem to be full of them.
Is it maybe your area treats canned pumkin as a seasonal item and doesn't have it on the shelves all year long?Undecided

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
09-27-2010, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2010 05:01 PM by Neilbubbachuck.)
I'm sooo going pumpkin smashing this Year!

Don't talk smack about Total!!
09-27-2010, 09:19 PM
(09-26-2010 07:31 PM)Laffitupfzbl Wrote:  So does anybody know how the pumpkin crop did this year? Will I actually be able to buy canned pumpkin? Cause I STILL haven't been able to find it, and we live 10 minutes from the Pumpkin Capitol of the World.
I have to admit, when I replied to your question the first time, I was very puzzled, because I didn't have a problem getting pumpkin last year. Then I saw MSN's homepage today...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39379122/ns/...sumer_news
So, you should be good.
Just in case, I found how to make your own if you'd like to have a back-up plan. To bake a fresh 6 to 7 pound pumpkin, halve the pumpkin crosswise and scoop out the seeds and strings. Place halves, hollow side down, in a large baking pan covered with aluminum foil and add a little water. Bake, uncovered, at 375

To freeze pumpkin puree. Put 1-2 cups in freezer bags along with spices and use in pies.

To use pumpkin puree for recipes: Line a strainer with a double layer of cheesecloth or a flour sack dish towel and let the pumpkin sit to drain out the extra moisture BEFORE cooking with it. Pumpkin is very moist, so in order for your recipe to come out correctly, you MUST strain it.
Hope that's helpful!

"Life ain't like books.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
~Laura Moncur
11-21-2010, 04:41 AM
Oh, Hardware Girl. How you make me laugh! ME, putting up my own food? Before I could even think about that, I'd have to clean my kitchen. I have a 95 pound dog living just off my kitchen. We eat out a lot...

Actually, I'm good. I guess the crops did pretty well this year, no blight, not too much rain. So my canned pumpkin is back on the shelves! I have to be honest, I only use it to make lowfat cupcakes to take into work. Recipe, you ask?

One box cake mix (Spice cake is yummy, chocolate cake holds up really well, but ANY cake mix works, seriously)
1 can pumpkin (the smaller can, not the double size one. and make sure it's pumpkin, not pie mix)

Mix together, add a little water if needed (should be a really thick mixture) scoop into muffin tins lined with cupcake papers and bake as directed on the box (but keep a sharp eye on them). Will yield these heavy, moist cupcakes which are only two Weight Watchers points, if you need to know that. And pretty good, to boot!
11-21-2010, 11:40 AM
(11-21-2010 04:41 AM)Laffitupfzbl Wrote:  Oh, Hardware Girl. How you make me laugh! ME, putting up my own food? Before I could even think about that, I'd have to clean my kitchen. I have a 95 pound dog living just off my kitchen. We eat out a lot...

I'll see your 95 lb dog, and raise you a Chesapeake, a Lab, a Border Collie, and a Mini Aussie Sheepdog, and 8 cats! Big Grin

But really, the pumpkin roasting was really easy, and then you throw it in the freezer. Not that hard at all.....

"Life ain't like books.
~Laura Moncur
11-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Holy monkeys! Wait, do you have one of those, too?
11-21-2010, 08:32 PM
(11-21-2010 02:49 PM)Laffitupfzbl Wrote:  Holy monkeys! Wait, do you have one of those, too?

Wait....let me look......there might be one here somewhere........Tongue

"Life ain't like books.
~Laura Moncur
11-21-2010, 08:44 PM
I will raise you two dobermans. One that will eat anything he can reach...even razor blades...dumb dog.
11-21-2010, 08:51 PM
(11-21-2010 08:44 PM)RN-PRN Wrote:  I will raise you two dobermans. One that will eat anything he can reach...even razor blades...dumb dog.

Razor blades?!?!?!?
You gotcha' a rocket scientist there, huh?
Dare I ask the story? I bet its good!Big Grin

"Life ain't like books.
~Laura Moncur