Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hey Bubba! They found Shackletons cache!
09-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Hey Bubba! They found Shackletons cache!
WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) - A crate of Scotch whisky that was trapped in Antarctic ice for a century was finally opened Friday - but the heritage dram won't be tasted by whisky lovers because it's being preserved for its historic significance.

The crate, recovered from the Antarctic hut of renowned explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton after it was found there in 2006, has been thawed very slowly in recent weeks at the Canterbury Museum in Christchurch on New Zealand's South Island.

The crate was painstakingly opened to reveal 11 bottles of Mackinlay's Scotch whisky, wrapped in paper and straw to protect them from the rigors of a rough trip to Antarctica for Shackleton's 1907 Nimrod expedition.

Though the crate was frozen solid when it was retrieved earlier this year, the whisky inside could be heard sloshing around in the bottles. Antarctica's minus 22 Fahrenheit temperature was not enough to freeze the liquor, dating from 1896 or 1897 and described as being in remarkably good condition.

This Scotch is unlikely ever to be tasted, but master blenders will examine samples of it to see if they can replicate the brew. The original recipe for the Scotch no longer exists.

Once samples have been extracted and sent to Scottish distiller Whyte and Mackay, which took over Mackinlay's distillery many years ago, the 11 bottles will be returned to their home - under the floorboards of Shackleton's hut at Cape Royds on Ross Island, near Antarctica's McMurdo Sound.

Whisky lover Michael Milne, a Scot who runs the Whisky Galore liquor outlet in Christchurch, described the rare event as a great experience.

"I just looked at this (crate) and honestly, my heartbeat went up about three paces. It was amazing," he said. "The box was like a pioneer's box with the wood and nails coming out," he said.

Although Milne said he'd give anything to have a taste of the whisky. "It is not going to happen and I am not going to get excited about it," he said. "But if there was ever an opportunity, it could be a wonderful one to have."

Nigel Watson, executive director of the Antarctic Heritage Trust, which is restoring the explorer's hut, said opening the crate was a delicate process.

The crate will remain in cold storage and each of the 11 bottles will be carefully assessed and conserved over the next few weeks. Some samples will be extracted, possibly using a syringe through the bottles' cork stoppers.

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2010, 08:22 PM
RE: Hey Bubba! They found Shackletons cache!
Holy Single Malt Beverage Guy! Can you even begin to imagine....nevermind. The mere mention of what even one bottle COULD be sold for....boggles the mind, but that has GOT to be some vintage stuff. Grade A hooch!!!!

Sounds like Mr. Milne is certainly tempted to have a snort though!!!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-28-2010, 01:12 AM
Ok, I'm starting to sweat. If I drink a lil scotch in a church, is that technically a relapse. I'm thinking not.

Don't talk smack about Total!!
09-28-2010, 06:15 AM
Oh no - not you too NBC?!?!?

09-28-2010, 12:30 PM
LoL Boom! I love ya man

Don't talk smack about Total!!
09-28-2010, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2010 04:15 PM by Boomer.)
Snickr Snickr.......Big GrinBig Grin Thanks NBC.....back at ya man!

09-30-2010, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2010 05:59 PM by Mufasa.)
Reading up a bit on the single malts. ANyone care to say what it might be that attracts our pal to The Macallan? Which one is his fav and why? (you see what I know about the stuff...)
I'm game to try again if someone has some recommendations and why.

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
09-30-2010, 07:26 PM
I can only venture a "guess" but Macallan is a little more "fruity", probably from the barrels they use. Taste in single malts is critical. Just the wrong set and the whole barrel is ruined. A lot depends on the distillery, too, like what kind of mix they use, some treat the barrel a bit differently. Some use barrels only once, others may use them twice. Some of them "burn" the barrel, giving the malt a more "smoky" flavor. Also, the human palatte makes a difference. Some folks can drink the same single malt from the same barrel and will give a different taste to each. Then you get into aging, and double barrel...there are dozens of different combinations and concoctions. It just depends on your palatte and what YOU like in a single malt. I am trying to learn what I like. I think I have been to 8 different distilleries - when I served - and each stiller had a different method to his madness, no too unlike a brewmaster brewing beer. Course, by the time I had left, I couldnt hardly remember my own name let alone the distillery.

The stuff I have been taking - Balvenie, seems a bit smokier, but I can tell you it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, and sure does put some color in those old cheeks!

10-10-2010, 09:59 AM
I thought maybe I would post something here about my take on The Macallan. I purchased a bottle of 12 yr sherry oak yesterday. I am not totally for certain this is the correct stuff - Brutus may correct me here.

My short version is this is a lot mellower than The Balvenie. Not nearly as smokey so it doesn't have that strong attack on the palette. Some scotches are rather strong, but this was a bit fruity, could definitely taste the sherry oak in it, and a hint of almond. Very very smooth for sure - it better be for 12 year old stuff. The smell is what struck me. It doesnt "burn" the nostrils like some scotches will. This was very aromatic and pleasant.

There is a scotch tasting party at the local spirits shop here in town in a couple weeks. Because all I have tasted are Highlands and Lowlands malts, I want to go to this to try out a couple Islays and maybe even a Speyside. If anyone has a recommended vintage - by all means....ALLOW yourself!!!

01-18-2011, 08:54 AM
This was on the BBC news today. From all accounts they (Makinlays who originally made it), have finished the thawing out at 1 degree at a time to get it back to room temp - and are about to syringe the top for the sample.

Living the dream over here in Blighty