Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Birds and Butterflies
10-25-2010, 11:11 AM
RE: Birds and Butterflies
I have wanted to visit that since I was 9. My mom always loved those monarchs and the first time we heard about that place we wanted to go. Golly that would be one very powerful and spiritual experience if you ask me.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Wow. Everything around here is dead by now, but I did see a dragonfly yesterday. Fed the birds, but the blasted blackbirds swarm.
10-31-2010, 08:21 PM
(10-25-2010 09:25 AM)Brutus Wrote:  Speaking of butterflies....how about 4,000,000 Monarchs per acre....I've still got the T-Shirt of mine and Bubba's visit to Angangueo, Mexico and words cannot possibly describe the experience. Check out this link:

http://mexicolesstraveled.com/monarch.htm
Thanks for the link. It will be very useful.
I talk about this with my kids when I do the butterfly unit in the spring. A lot of them have been down there to see it the sanctuary.

Find all posts by this user
11-07-2010, 07:42 PM
I saw the season's last bumble bee today. It was as if he was desperately seeking that last nectar for the hive before winter, like he was part of a elite last minute hive winterizers.
11-07-2010, 11:56 PM
(11-07-2010 07:42 PM)VincentUlyssis Wrote:  I saw the season's last bumble bee today. It was as if he was desperately seeking that last nectar for the hive before winter, like he was part of a elite last minute hive winterizers.

Wanna snuggleBlushHeart

Don't talk smack about Total!!
11-21-2010, 06:33 AM
He's dead now, but the hive is safe.
03-06-2011, 03:10 PM
the area of town that I have just moved to, happens to be within a mile of some wetlands. So when I take my husby to work in the mornings, I've been seeing a few new birds that I wouldn't find in my previous back yard. There's a wetlands visitor center nearby, that when the weather is a bit drier, I'll take the kids to.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
03-18-2011, 09:24 PM
I had spring fever today and bought 3 flats pansies which I planted when I got home from work. It felt really nice.
03-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Thinking of Spring and of our feathered friends plus that this is a website all about food and cooking I have a recipe for them. It's a suet/cake type.

1 Cup of Shortening
1 Cup of Peanut Butter
1/4 cup of Sugar
1- 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1- 1/2 Cups Cornmeal
1-1/2 Cups Quick Cooking Oatmeal

In a meduim saucepan melt the shortening and peanut butter. Add in the remaining ingredients one at a time stirring well. Remove mixture from the heat and pour /spread into containers of choice.( I use leftover deli containers or tin/aluminum ones from take out.)
Let it cool overnight. You can store it in a cool dark area and place them in your feeders for your birds. (again I take leftover onion plastic/ cloth weave bags and put them in there and hang outside by my tree). I make this for Christmas gifts for my family members who feed their outdoor friends.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
03-22-2011, 02:35 PM
On sale today for you butterfly lovers:
'Winged Obsession: The Pursuit of the World's Most Notorious Butterfly Smuggler". Illegal wildlife trade is a multi-million dollar global business each year. Here's the story of one good guy.