Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Birds and Butterflies
11-07-2014, 08:53 PM
RE: Birds and Butterflies
We're waiting for the black bears to hibernate before the bird feeders go back out. Birds have been getting impatient.

Shifting & Drifting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2014, 03:28 PM
(10-30-2014 09:06 PM)BrianW Wrote:  Heard my first Screech Owl out in the yard at heavy twilight tonight. The books say they're all around, but I've only seen one in the wilds of southern NH. I have better luck finding Great Horned and Barred owls. hoot hoot!

Brian, is that the owl in "My Cousin Vinny" when Joe Pesci comes out of the cabin shooting his gun?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eTGtOQqUkyg

Also, I never knew that black bears liked bird seed. Go figure!
11-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Yes VU, that's a Screech Owl. They typically make a trilling 'pygmy pony' kind of whinny. Adorable.
Also, a piece on NHPR states our bobcat population is doing quite well - up to approximately 1200+.

Shifting & Drifting
11-09-2014, 11:55 AM
(11-07-2014 08:53 PM)BrianW Wrote:  We're waiting for the black bears to hibernate before the bird feeders go back out. Birds have been getting impatient.

Bears, eh? And I thought squirrels were bad, lol.....
11-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Oh - did I mention the mountain lion that's been seen repeatedly in these parts? NH Fish & Game have been categorically denying any existance of the big cats in New England, though they've been seen for years. Perhaps when somebody hits one and brings the body in, they'll believe.

Shifting & Drifting
11-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Hmm. Wolves have been gradually moving into Illinois for a few years now. The state was being pretty low-key about it - which is, I guess, the way it will be until there's some human-wolf tragedy to get people riled up!
11-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Aahhoooooooooooo!
11-12-2014, 08:50 PM
(11-10-2014 06:16 PM)osage59 Wrote:  Hmm. Wolves have been gradually moving into Illinois for a few years now. The state was being pretty low-key about it - which is, I guess, the way it will be until there's some human-wolf tragedy to get people riled up!
Is that in London, Illinois?

Shifting & Drifting
11-12-2014, 09:46 PM
(11-12-2014 08:50 PM)BrianW Wrote:  
(11-10-2014 06:16 PM)osage59 Wrote:  Hmm. Wolves have been gradually moving into Illinois for a few years now. The state was being pretty low-key about it - which is, I guess, the way it will be until there's some human-wolf tragedy to get people riled up!
Is that in London, Illinois?

Would that be a werewolf of London?

Find all posts by this user
11-13-2014, 05:56 AM
Hahaha.....good one!

Speaking of birds, on a more current note - on the local birding websites there have been a couple of reports of Snowy owl sightings in the hinterlands outside the city.

Last year, in fact, I saw my first one perched on a light post outside O'Hare Airport! We probably saw another in flight out by I-80, mid-state too Wink