Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Easy Pie Crust recipe
04-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Easy Pie Crust recipe
The trick with this recipe, as with many other things in life, is adding just the right amount of Vodka. This is something my family's been doing for a while, and even I can manage to get a good pie crust out of it. My sister has a full write-up on it here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Pie-Crust/

(Ever since there was mention of crust problems at the Bar and Grill, I've been wanting to share this. Finally!)

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Pie-Crust.pdf (Size: 226.1 KB / Downloads: 9)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2010, 08:39 PM
RE: Easy Pie Crust recipe
Does anyone have a good pie crust recipe without butter? I'm allergic, and so I've been using Pillsbury crusts, but I'd like to try making my own.

04-23-2010, 05:19 PM
(04-20-2010 05:04 PM)Pete Wrote:  The trick with this recipe, as with many other things in life, is adding just the right amount of Vodka. This is something my family's been doing for a while, and even I can manage to get a good pie crust out of it. My sister has a full write-up on it here:

(Ever since there was mention of crust problems at the Bar and Grill, I've been wanting to share this. Finally!)

I hope this pie crust works for me. I have tried so many and everytime its a complete FAIL. Me + Pie crust = Fail. Making my own pie crust has become an itch that needs to be scratched.
04-23-2010, 05:37 PM
(04-20-2010 05:04 PM)Pete Wrote:  The trick with this recipe, as with many other things in life, is adding just the right amount of Vodka. This is something my family's been doing for a while, and even I can manage to get a good pie crust out of it. My sister has a full write-up on it here:

Vodka? In pie crust? First I thought it was some sort of joke. You know, the more vodka you drink the better you figure your pie crust turned out. Sort of the kitchen equivalent of beer goggles.

Then I actually read the recipe. Whodathunkit? Am going to give it a whirl, as soon as I stock up on grain alcohol. Who knows? I may even use some of it in pie crust.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
04-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Nettiesaur, do you have a Better Homes & Gardens cookbook? In it there is a recipe for an oil pastry, which I made years ago. It does have milk in it (if dairy is an issue)

Uh, Pete, is the Vodka for the pie crust and for the baker? I have never heard of it. I may just have to try it since I am venturing into trying recipes with grain alcohol and wine.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-23-2010, 08:40 PM
(04-23-2010 06:35 PM)Bageleth Wrote:  Nettiesaur, do you have a Better Homes & Gardens cookbook? In it there is a recipe for an oil pastry, which I made years ago. It does have milk in it (if dairy is an issue)

Uh, Pete, is the Vodka for the pie crust and for the baker? I have never heard of it. I may just have to try it since I am venturing into trying recipes with grain alcohol and wine.

I don't have the book, but I went to the website and found this recipe for a single crust. I'm going to try it soon.
single pie crust

04-23-2010, 09:50 PM
(04-23-2010 06:35 PM)Bageleth Wrote:  Nettiesaur, do you have a Better Homes & Gardens cookbook? In it there is a recipe for an oil pastry, which I made years ago. It does have milk in it (if dairy is an issue)

Vodka good for crust, vodka good for baker, vodka good for all, da!

I have totally, totally messed up this recipe and way overblended it, and I still had better-than-store-bought crusts. It makes a much wetter dough, which is easier to work with, and all the vodka burns off when you bake it, so it leaves it light and crispy. The recipe is enough for two pie crusts, but I typically make "open" pies (like meringues (the secret to them is cream of tartar, if you didn't know)), so I'll bake up the other crust with some cinnamon and sugar, and snack on it while I make up the real pie.
04-26-2010, 12:58 PM
[Dr. Nick Riviera] Hi Everybody! [/ Dr. Nick]

Love the vodka crust! I stumbled across it last year and it is AMAZING!!! I've started experimenting with flavoured vodkas in the crusts. It gets interesting!!!
Nettiesaur, try subbing crisco for the butter. Works just as well IMO.
04-26-2010, 01:18 PM
(04-26-2010 12:58 PM)Mystress Aynn Wrote:  [Dr. Nick Riviera] Hi Everybody! [/ Dr. Nick]

Love the vodka crust! I stumbled across it last year and it is AMAZING!!! I've started experimenting with flavoured vodkas in the crusts. It gets interesting!!!
Nettiesaur, try subbing crisco for the butter. Works just as well IMO.

Yeah, I did one with crisco/shortening for the butter, and it was fine. I think I ended up using the "butter flavored" shortening, and although you'd think that would be fine to substitute for butter, I felt that it had too much of a buttery taste at the end, so if I did it again I might try it with half flavored and half unflavored.

I never thought about trying flavored vodkas, that's interesting. I just had some really good cherry vodka over the weekend (Three Olive, I think), and people were saying their chocolate vodka was good too. Time to get back into the kitchen Big Grin
04-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Using flavoured vodkas is tricky! It's all trial and error. I tend to go with a 50% flavoured-50% regular blend, but some it's 75% reg. and 25% flavoured. I love using pepper vodka in a crust for chicken pot pie.... [Homer drool]