Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Easy Pie Crust recipe
04-28-2010, 09:34 AM
RE: Easy Pie Crust recipe
I must try this. I love to cook, and baking has somehow eluded me. This site is awesome. Thanks to everyone here. I'll let you know how it goes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2010, 04:34 PM
(04-26-2010 01:18 PM)Pete Wrote:  
(04-26-2010 12:58 PM)Mystress Aynn Wrote:  [Dr. Nick Riviera] Hi Everybody! [/ Dr. Nick]

Love the vodka crust! I stumbled across it last year and it is AMAZING!!! I've started experimenting with flavoured vodkas in the crusts. It gets interesting!!!
Nettiesaur, try subbing crisco for the butter. Works just as well IMO.

Yeah, I did one with crisco/shortening for the butter, and it was fine. I think I ended up using the "butter flavored" shortening, and although you'd think that would be fine to substitute for butter, I felt that it had too much of a buttery taste at the end, so if I did it again I might try it with half flavored and half unflavored.

I never thought about trying flavored vodkas, that's interesting. I just had some really good cherry vodka over the weekend (Three Olive, I think), and people were saying their chocolate vodka was good too. Time to get back into the kitchen Big Grin

I used butter "flavored" shortening before in a cookie recipe. I really don't care for it. I just rather use butter. As for pie crust, I've heard of using vinegar to make a tender crust, but never vodka. That's something I'll have to try.
Find all posts by this user
04-30-2010, 03:30 PM
(04-20-2010 05:04 PM)Pete Wrote:  The trick with this recipe, as with many other things in life, is adding just the right amount of Vodka. This is something my family's been doing for a while, and even I can manage to get a good pie crust out of it. My sister has a full write-up on it here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Pie-Crust/

(Ever since there was mention of crust problems at the Bar and Grill, I've been wanting to share this. Finally!)

Nice! I have been struggleing with this for a long time, my crusts have tasted good but not the flaky quality that I have been trying for, thanks again.

To be a firefighter, one can be a lot of things…except a coward.
04-30-2010, 05:10 PM
(04-29-2010 04:34 PM)kolacky girl Wrote:  
(04-26-2010 01:18 PM)Pete Wrote:  
(04-26-2010 12:58 PM)Mystress Aynn Wrote:  [Dr. Nick Riviera] Hi Everybody! [/ Dr. Nick]

Love the vodka crust! I stumbled across it last year and it is AMAZING!!! I've started experimenting with flavoured vodkas in the crusts. It gets interesting!!!
Nettiesaur, try subbing crisco for the butter. Works just as well IMO.

Yeah, I did one with crisco/shortening for the butter, and it was fine. I think I ended up using the "butter flavored" shortening, and although you'd think that would be fine to substitute for butter, I felt that it had too much of a buttery taste at the end, so if I did it again I might try it with half flavored and half unflavored.

I never thought about trying flavored vodkas, that's interesting. I just had some really good cherry vodka over the weekend (Three Olive, I think), and people were saying their chocolate vodka was good too. Time to get back into the kitchen Big Grin

I used butter "flavored" shortening before in a cookie recipe. I really don't care for it. I just rather use butter. As for pie crust, I've heard of using vinegar to make a tender crust, but never vodka. That's something I'll have to try.

I use the butter flavor stuff in cookies, but for pie(or pasties), I would probably just use the regular Crisco. I think that too much artificial butter flavor would overpower the whole recipe.

10-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Bumping this up, because someone mentioned it in the pumpkin stuff thread.

10-18-2011, 06:48 PM
(10-18-2011 06:24 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  Bumping this up, because someone mentioned it in the pumpkin stuff thread.

Thanks, Nettie! This I will try!!!!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
10-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Yep, this is the one. Thanks Nettie!

"I will quietly resist."
11-28-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned the pie crust recipe on the box of Tenderflake Lard. (Those of us who grew up in Canada and who are near the same age as Bubba may well remember Madame Jeanne Benoit and her adverts for Amana microwave ovens and "tan-der-FLAKE lahrd".... haha.... Dates me!).

It's the one my mum, who was an extraordinary baker of pies, always used: makes up a whole lot, as you use the entire pound of lahrd, but you can split it up into pie-shell sized portions, wrap well in plastic, and toss 'em into the freezer, where they keep for months. Just pull one out and let thaw in your fridge overnight, and it's ready to use.

The main trick to remember is to not overwork it, otherwise it gets tough.
07-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Well, I finally did it. I made a pie crust from scratch.

and now I'm spoiled. I don't think I'll ever go back to Pillsbury.

07-19-2012, 12:02 PM
(07-19-2012 11:58 AM)nettiesaur Wrote:  Well, I finally did it. I made a pie crust from scratch.

and now I'm spoiled. I don't think I'll ever go back to Pillsbury.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm happy enough to buy frozen puff pastry and phyllo though....

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....