Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
South American drinks?
10-06-2010, 02:49 AM
South American drinks?
Need some advice, folks.

Every year, the family get together just before Christmas for an "international feast". Past years have included Russian, Ethiopian, Moroccan, Italian, French, etc...

This year is South American. I have managed to find a load of recipes (I am slightly scared by the amount of meat involved but have found some good vegan recipes too) but I am struggling with drink ideas. I have found an iced tea with a rather large amount of white rum thrown in but any other ideas?

Any suggestions much appreciated!

With all of my dietary restrictions, I'm left with lipstick and water
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2010, 06:52 AM
RE: South American drinks?
Not sure, but isn't a Mojito (mo-HEE-toe) South American?

Mojito recipe
1.25 oz spiced rum
12 mint leaves
1 tbsp sugar
0.5 oz lime juice
2 oz soda

Place mint leaves in bottom of glass. Add crushed ice, rum, sugar, and lime juice, and muddle. Add soda water and garnish with mint leaves. Drink until he/she's cute.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
10-06-2010, 08:37 AM
I spoke with a friend of mine who has "suggested" that a mojito was originally developed in the Carribean, perhaps Cuba. I don't know that to be fact, however, but given that the main ingredient is rum or spiced rum, its possible.

Unfortunately - no amount of mojitos, margaritas, scotch whiskey, or even Everclear will make me cute. Sorry - but thats just not possible!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
10-06-2010, 10:14 AM
It is my own personal experience that a bottle and a half of bourbon makes any man cute...

I no longer drink bourbon...

I love mojitos! No one else will know any different so I can pretend they are South American... Wink

With all of my dietary restrictions, I'm left with lipstick and water
10-06-2010, 10:33 AM
A bottle and a half? Is that all? I'll tell my wife, then maybe perhaps I can get "lucky" again? Naaaa

I think her best is a half bottle of Cabo Wabo Tequila, and that didn't work at all, but those cinammon rolls were awesome!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"