Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Grandma's Mashed Potatoes
10-22-2010, 01:56 PM
RE: Grandma's Mashed Potatoes
Sheperds pie - thats like the best food for when you have been out on the bike all day, or like when I go bow hunting been outside chopping firewood for a friend. Great leftover dish for when you dont know quite what to do with some of those leftovers.

We just had some Wednesday night - man my wife is an awesome cook!

For You Steve & Monica - Your Love will forever shine on in our hearts!!!

[Image: monicasteve.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Those kinds of dishes (and soups) are great for fall & winter days!

A party without cake is really just a meeting
10-23-2010, 08:03 AM
Of course, you cannot forget the butter. The REAL stuff not that overboiled molten tub of possum fat I see all over the place.

For You Steve & Monica - Your Love will forever shine on in our hearts!!!

[Image: monicasteve.jpg]
10-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Mmm – Shepard’s Pie – one of the great comfort foods. I make mine with creamed corn – my grandmother from Quebec handed down the recipe. It was always referred to as ‘pâté chinois’ in our house. As a child I always thought it sounded sophisticated – “ooh, look at me eating swanky French food” – although I remember thinking that it was not at all what I had envisioned French cuisine to be.

I agree with Boomer – great way to use leftovers and you can throw it together pretty quick. I made a turkey version last year after Thanksgiving. Yum!

I've made mashed potatoes with sour cream before - never cream cheese. Sounds tasty - I'll have to give that one a try!
Find all posts by this user
10-24-2010, 01:21 PM
I have never tried mashed potatoes with cream cheese. Sounds yummy! My choice is butter, milk, salt and sour cream. I usually eyeball how much I use. Never have measured. My kids always have me make the mashed potatoes when we are visiting my parents. Mom only adds milk. They are a wee bit bland.
08-11-2011, 03:41 PM
These all sound great. Though I'm with RN on the more 'basic' recipe.
I've never tried sour or cream cheeses, and I don't measure either. Spuds, cream, lots of butter, garlic salt and pepper. Just eyeball and make 'to taste'. No machines for me - I hand mash and whip 'em up with a wooden spoon. My Aunt Jessie swears they taste better when beaten with a wooden spoon. Jury's still out on that one. Leftovers (really?) make great potato pancakes the next morning. Sprinkle with parsley flakes and paprika.

Hoobah-doobah
08-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Has anyone ever tried "fauxtatoes?" It's basically Grandma's recipe, 'cept you sub a whole head of steamed cauliflower for the taters. I think the recipe also called for garlic. Anyhoo, when I was really watching my carb intake I tried this (I was skeptical, not being a fan of cauliflower at the time) and it's pretty darn good! Not quite the same "mouthfeel" as potatoes, but still creamy 'n' yummy.....

Hand-mashing taters fer sure. I use a potato ricer (not the metal press kind with the tiny holes, just the plastic one with the big holes you mash down into the pot).

Don't get me started on Shepherd's Pie. Makes me pine for colder weather even more....

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
08-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Hey Burma, I've had that as cold 'potato' salad. You can also substitute plain yogurt for mayo. Totally on board for Shepherd's Pie any time!

Hoobah-doobah