Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cinéma de la Grande Fromage
10-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Cinéma de la Grande Fromage
Given this 'spooky' time of year when ghosts, goblins, zombies and other wee monstrosities come a'knockin' looking for handouts, I was put in mind of all those cheesy horror films (hence the title of this thread) that I grew up with.

My favourites based on my personal 'cheese scale' look like this:
  • Baron Blood - first horror movie I saw at the theatre when I was, oh, about 12. The only reason I wanted to see the movie was to gaze longingly at a young, ripe Elke Sommer bursting through her top.
  • Hellraiser - Watched this many years ago on Halloween with a couple of friends and far too much beer. Made Pinhead famous. Cool story.
  • The Keep - Combines a war story with a horror film. Bad guy gets it in the end. Neato!
  • Lastly, The Amityville Horror - Many a moviegoer has launched their popcorn across the theatre when those red eyes appear outside the little girl's bedroom. Imagine my disappointment when I discovered that a couple of fellows and a publishing company made the whole thing up.
What's your list look like?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-28-2010, 08:38 AM
RE: Cinéma de la Grande Fromage
I remember well staying up late on a Friday night to watch any horror movies that were on, a lot black and white, until the Hammer Horror films came along. Anything from Werewolves, Dracula, Frakenstein, Witches etc.

The absolute scariest one I remember was of a Mother somewhere in the West coast of USA who`s son had drowned. Desperate and loosing her mind with grief she eventually makes a pact with (probably Satan - can`t remember) to have her son restored to her - and returns to the beach front house (where the tragedy took place), and sets up the tallow candles, pentagram, and all things scary like that. After much chanting and all whilst there is an electric storm out at sea, there is a noise, and window shutter slamming. glass breaking etc......

The mother gets up from inside the pentagram where she has been chanting and walks into the hall, at the top of the stairs, facing away from her is her son, wearing all the clothes he had on when he drowned, she is beside herself with joy, tears streaming down her face, she climbs the steps to be re-united with her (returned) son.........

When she is within touching distance of her son, he says, "Tommy didnt want to come back and see you"...........

and turning round, face all dead, dead eyes etc............he says........."So.......he sent me instead"......and lashing out pushes the mother down the stairs where she ends up at the bottom, broken and dead.

It scared the life out of me for years.........
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-28-2010, 09:39 AM
One of mine is the original black and white of "Nosferatu". OMG - I was in 5th grade the first time I saw that and was absolutely scared out of my mind! I still have nightmares to this day from that movie just from that hideous creature coming at me with those buck teeth and gangly arms. YEEEK - Mommy HELP!

Another on is "Bram Stokers Dracula". I took my sister in law to see that, and I thought it was hilarious, but SHE wasn't amused! HARRRRRR!!

Another one is "Hellraiser". Oh goodness where do these people come from? I mean - is there some guy in Hollywood thats so bored he starts putting pins in some mannequin? That pinhead guy scared the !#$%^^!$~!~ out of me, but then I thought it was so funny I started laughing in the theatre. The guy behind me handed me his flask of peppermint schnapps - apparently he was more amused than I was.

[Image: silvdolf.gif]
10-28-2010, 12:02 PM
HUGE Hammer Horror fan! And for years, growing up, watching Captain USA on the USA Network. He had the little cigar pal named Lefty and said "Holy Cats!" a lot. Loved that guy. Oh, and Rhonda Shearers' Up All Night. Played all the great old horror classics. I was an insomniac as a kid, too.

Specific films: The Haunting (1963), The Wicker Man (1973), Burnt Offerings (1976 - the chauffer was the worst!), and Michael Jackson's Thriller Video. All those messed me up as a kid. Hence, the insomnia???
10-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Before my husband and I were married, he took me to see the remake of Night of the Living Dead (I think it was about 1990). I kept laughing throughout the movie, cuz it was so darn stupid and predictable. I think the people around me thought I was nuts, but I couldn't help myself. I was a horrible remake.
10-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Ummm, Army of Darkness? Hello?
I absolutly LOVE Bruce Campell, he is the biggest cheese ball!

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
10-28-2010, 03:38 PM
I saw the original "Night of the Living Dead" at my aunt's house in the wee hours of the morning when I was a teenager. I didn't think that it had an effect on me until I went to spend the night at my grandparents' house.............out in the country..............in front of the woods...............with a cemetery in it!

A party without cake is really just a meeting
10-28-2010, 05:36 PM
(10-28-2010 12:40 PM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  Ummm, Army of Darkness? Hello?
I absolutly LOVE Bruce Campell, he is the biggest cheese ball!

"You said you loved me!"

"Baby - that was just PILLOW TALK"

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
10-28-2010, 09:32 PM
The Exorcist ruined me man. I had to sleep with the light on for months after seeing that. To this day I can not watch that movie. Even now I just get undone thinking about it.
I love zombie movies. Night of the living dead (all versions). Dawn of the dead. Day of the dead. 28 days. 28 days later, etc.
I actually hope that really happens someday. I could survive. I just hope that they don't run!

Don't talk smack about Total!!
10-28-2010, 09:51 PM
I just remembered one that I thought was funny: "Shaun of the Dead"

A party without cake is really just a meeting