Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tonight's wine pairing...
04-29-2010, 09:48 AM
RE: Tonight's wine pairing...
Oh! And we might want to add "Zinfandel" and "Chablis" to that misunderstood list too.....

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2010, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2010 09:53 AM by Synthetic.)
(04-29-2010 09:43 AM)Brutus Wrote:  If I had to I would vote for Riesling to be the most misunderstood wine by North Americans. I guess it's because they've been indoctrinated into believing that what passes for "Riesling" locally, in any way resembles what's available in Germany and Austria primarily. They are not alike in any way and a good Riesling can cost the farm but deals can be found. But a good Condrieu might put up a good fight for consideration?

Brutus, you make a good point about what North Americans consider a representation of a Riesling. I have had some California and Washington Rieslings that were nice, but none have really matched the full flavor spectrum of a Mosel (Germany) or Alsace (France) regional Riesling.

Condrieu on the other hand doesn't really suit my pallet for a white. I have to be in the mood for it. The peach-like aromatic is a bit of a turn-off for me (although I know there are some varieties that are more flowery). I like that Condrieu is best consumed in the first 4 years, however. Not my favorite, but I can see why you would single it out.
(04-29-2010 09:48 AM)Brutus Wrote:  Oh! And we might want to add "Zinfandel" and "Chablis" to that misunderstood list too.....

Most definitely... People do not understand that there are MARVELOUS Zinfandels that do not come 'in a box' lol. It is unfortunate that there are such heavy negative stereotypes of those 2 wines... We had a marvelous Red Zinfandel last weekend that was splendidly rich!

"Food - Glorious Food!"
04-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Speaking of Riesling (and wines under $25), I first tasted a Riesling at a German restaurant in Wisconsin. I know, not Germany, but there are a lot of areas of southern Wisconsin originally settled by Germans, so there is a lot of heritage there. Really liked the wine, but can't remember exactly which maker it was. Since then my girlfriend and I have been trying different Rieslings looking for one we like. I'm not by any means a wine expert, but I really like one called Origin Riesling, Pfalz Germany. It goes well with...my Roger Waters concert DVD, at least the last bottle I drank. I actually thought the 2008 tasted better than the 2007. I just think its really good, but tell me, have I misunderstood Riesling? Any others I should try?

-Rey

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
04-29-2010, 12:59 PM
There are distinct differences in Rieslings from Alsace and Germany but the Alsatian wines are generally more highly regarded. The following article gives you some good information.

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/regionalgui...sace.shtml

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
04-29-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm going to have to pay attention to this thread a little more as I know extremely little about wine.The extent of my experience is a couple of bottles of Black Opal and some Zinfandel from a box. I like the Zinfandel lights because they aren't so dry. But, occasionally I'll have a little Merlot here and there with the Mrs.

Mother's Day is coming up. Any suggestions for a good wine for a lady who loves moderately dry Merlot?
04-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Brutus, try to find the Crane Family Merlot 2006 if you can. I found it for 24.99, and took it to my aunt's for her birthday party. It was really nice. I also recently had a Cab/Shiraz blend from Australia called Parson's Flat that we had at Trader Joe's for $14.99 a bottle for about 5 minutes before it sold out. I wish I sill had a bottle.

Oh, and speaking of Alsace, I love Alsatian Gew├╝rtztraminers. They are fantastic with spicy or garlicy food as are the Rieslings.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-29-2010, 08:36 PM
(04-29-2010 09:43 AM)Brutus Wrote:  If I had to I would vote for Riesling to be the most misunderstood wine by North Americans. I guess it's because they've been indoctrinated into believing that what passes for "Riesling" locally, in any way resembles what's available in Germany and Austria primarily. They are not alike in any way and a good Riesling can cost the farm but deals can be found. But a good Condrieu might put up a good fight for consideration?

reisling is again my first choice, going white. crisp and sweet, the speed of love is digestion with alacrity.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2010, 10:03 AM
I'm not much for pairings, I just drink what tastes good with food that tastes good. Pretty easy to please. Huge Riesling fan, merlots, but especially champagne or sparklers. And, can we talk lambics? Not wine, but damn good with burgers.

But, alas, time has caught up with the Tiffer, along with inherited blood pressure issues on both sides. So I have to cut back on everything except...WINE! Yep, the doc recommended I drink a glass a day, in particular wine imported from higher elevations in Sardinia. Resveratrol or some such. Time for some research!

Side note to an earlier conversation, Nicholas Cage is the nephew of Francis Ford Coppola, not his son - I'm a huge Cage fan, it's a common mistake.
05-02-2010, 03:52 PM
(05-01-2010 10:03 AM)Laffitupfzbl Wrote:  I'm not much for pairings, I just drink what tastes good with food that tastes good. Pretty easy to please. Huge Riesling fan, merlots, but especially champagne or sparklers. And, can we talk lambics? Not wine, but damn good with burgers.

But, alas, time has caught up with the Tiffer, along with inherited blood pressure issues on both sides. So I have to cut back on everything except...WINE! Yep, the doc recommended I drink a glass a day, in particular wine imported from higher elevations in Sardinia. Resveratrol or some such. Time for some research!

Side note to an earlier conversation, Nicholas Cage is the nephew of Francis Ford Coppola, not his son - I'm a huge Cage fan, it's a common mistake.

Nephew - that's right... I remember now... Thanks for clarifying...

"Food - Glorious Food!"
05-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Tonight's wine and food pairing will be penne pasta with homemade meat sauce, salad with a Balsamic vinaigrette and a bottle on Greendance Barberra.