Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tonight's wine pairing...
05-04-2010, 02:35 PM
RE: Tonight's wine pairing...
(04-29-2010 06:07 PM)ForceTen Wrote:  I'm going to have to pay attention to this thread a little more as I know extremely little about wine.The extent of my experience is a couple of bottles of Black Opal and some Zinfandel from a box. I like the Zinfandel lights because they aren't so dry. But, occasionally I'll have a little Merlot here and there with the Mrs.

Mother's Day is coming up. Any suggestions for a good wine for a lady who loves moderately dry Merlot?

I too was in this same boat about 6 months ago. My job allows me to listen to an mp3 player, so I started listening to wine education podcasts. A good one is Wine For Newbies (available for free on iTunes). The guy is kind of a nerd, but hey, he explains things pretty well and made it easy for me to take the plunge into wine without being overwhelmed.

I'll post this in the recommended blog section also.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks, I'll have to check it out. Smile
05-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Opolo (Central California - Paso Robles) 2007 Zinfandel is our top pick, hands down. $18-20 retail, or $15 if you live near a Costco. warning: '05 & '07 are very good, but '06 bites - watery color and too sharp (I know these aren't good winesnob terms). Wonderful alone, paired with light fare, or with a fat steakie! Beautiful 'bloody' color, yet not too heavy.
05-06-2010, 07:48 PM
(04-29-2010 09:09 AM)Brutus Wrote:  If you had $25 to spend and only one wine to chose...no food to accompany it, just for drinking...what would be your choice?

You have to try this French red called Parallele 45 from Paul Jaboulet Aine. Its from the Cotes Du Rhone region. Down here in NYC its about $27 for 750ml.
I use this wine when I cook coq au vin. Half the bottle for cooking the other half to the crazy cook.
Another wine to try is from the Sand Castle Winery near New Hope, Pennsylvania (New Hope is a great place to visit on the bike too!). The Johannisberg Riesling Late Harvest, 2003, Estate Grown is very good. It's about $20 for 375ml. You can almost consider it an ice wine.
That's my two cents. Wait a minute NYSE market fell 487pts today. Make it 1 cent.
Get me more wine!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Tonite's wine pairing - A bottle of 2 Buck Chuck with .... a second bottle of 2 Buck Chuck ! Ooh, I better wait til a "non-school" night for that combo.
05-08-2010, 02:04 AM
Weezy, I work at TJ's, and we had a guy, Scotty, who came in everyday to buy two bottles of 2 Buck Chuck Sauvignon Blanc. Seven days a week. He was delightful to talk to, but I worried. Scotty doesn't come in anymore. I often wonder what happened to him, and I wonder if I shouldn't put a curse on Fred Franzia who doesn't seem quite as delightful as Scotty. I wonder.
06-26-2011, 08:02 AM
I figured here would be a good spot to place this.... I have such a thoughtful Hubby. He got me this wine and said " Hon, I was thinking of you when I saw this". So I'm thinking maybe some chocolate to pair with thisBig Grin

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
06-26-2011, 10:14 AM
OMG Bar - - thats funny!

I was going to ask how that empty nest was going, but seeing that label tells me I may not wanna know, eh?!? Tongue

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
06-26-2011, 10:25 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2011 10:25 AM by Rey.)
(06-26-2011 08:02 AM)2Beers Wrote:  I figured here would be a good spot to place this.... I have such a thoughtful Hubby. He got me this wine and said " Hon, I was thinking of you when I saw this". So I'm thinking maybe some chocolate to pair with thisBig Grin

Ha! You know what every "Naughty Girl" needs to keep them in line...a spanking. Angel

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
06-26-2011, 08:30 PM
LOL 2Beers!!!