Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Candy Sushi and sashimi
11-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Candy Sushi and sashimi
My sister made this for our family Halloween party. It takes some work, but everyone loved it.
This recipe is from the Milwaukee Journal, but it's almost exactly the sushi she made and without a recipe.
I loved it!
Gotta do this for my class at the end of the year.

Candy Sushi & Sashimi
Makes about 25 sushi, 10 to 12 sashimi
¼ cup ( ½ stick) butter or margarine, plus more for buttering foil pieces (divided)

1 ½ bags (16 ounces each) marshmallows (about 11 cups)

6 cups crispy rice cereal

5 pieces red licorice

8 to 10 Gummy worms

7 multicolored Fruit Roll-Ups

10 to 12 Gummy fish

Prepare work surface by tearing off three pieces of foil, each about 12 inches long. Generously butter the dull sides.

Melt ¼ cup butter and marshmallows in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over low heat. When mixture is completely melted, remove from heat and stir in rice cereal. Using a well-buttered spatula, divide rice mixture evenly among foil pieces, flattening each into a rough rectangle. You should have two approximately 6 inches by 9 inches each and one about 6 inches by 5 inches. Let cool slightly.

With a sharp knife, trim longer pieces to 5-inch-by-8-inch rectangles and short piece to 5 inches by 4 inches.

To make sushi: Lay one strip of red licorice on top of a rectangle, next to a 5-inch edge. Trim licorice to fit width. Next to it stretch a Gummy worm. Cut another Gummy worm in half and lay it end to end with the first worm to complete the width. Gently roll up the rice mixture, encasing licorice and Gummy worms. Continue rolling into a log, overlapping by about ¼ inch. Don't fold too far or log will be too thick for Fruit Roll-Up. Trim off. Repeat with remaining rice mixture. Each long rectangle will yield two logs; the short piece will yield one log. Use left-over rice mixture from trimmings to make sashimi.

Open up Fruit Roll-Up, being careful not to tear it. Remove paper coating and encase sushi roll in Roll-Up, gently stretching the Roll-Up if necessary, and overlap Roll-Up edges slightly to seal together. Fruit Roll-Up should stick to itself, but if it doesn't, lightly brush an edge with water to seal. Cut each log into five 1-inch pieces.

To make sashimi: Cut leftover strips of rice mixture into rectangles approximately 1-by-2 inches. Lay a Gummy fish on top of each. Cut remaining Fruit Roll-Ups into ¼-inch strips and wrap a strip around each fish and rice square to form sashimi.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2010, 09:32 AM
RE: Candy Sushi and sashimi
Oh Nettie, that seems like such a fun thing to try. Not too mention the teeth aching from the sugar overload.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
11-03-2010, 11:55 AM
(11-03-2010 09:32 AM)2Beers Wrote:  Oh Nettie, that seems like such a fun thing to try. Not too mention the teeth aching from the sugar overload.

The hard part is getting the fruit rollup not to stick to itself, after that it's all fun.
and pretty good tasting too!

11-03-2010, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2010 07:34 PM by Neilbubbachuck.)
Listen, I love ya and all but that sounds like it could be an absolute trainwreck in the stomach.
Maybe I'm just being a baby, I'm sorry. I would try it if you like lived nextdoor or something. Swear!

Don't talk smack about Total!!
11-03-2010, 08:16 PM
(11-03-2010 07:23 PM)Neilbubbachuck Wrote:  Listen, I love ya and all but that sounds like it could be an absolute trainwreck in the stomach.
Maybe I'm just being a baby, I'm sorry. I would try it if you like lived nextdoor or something. Swear!

Actually, it's a decorated rice krispie treat...not overwhelming at all.
Ever stir M&M's into rice krispie treats?
Or put cake sprinkles on them?
(I've spent way too much time with small children with inventive mothers.)
Same effect, just cute.
And the sushi slice is smaller than a regular square, so, it's not sugar overkill.

11-03-2010, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2010 08:28 PM by Boomer.)
(11-03-2010 08:16 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  
(11-03-2010 07:23 PM)Neilbubbachuck Wrote:  Listen, I love ya and all but that sounds like it could be an absolute trainwreck in the stomach.

Actually, it's a decorated rice krispie treat...not overwhelming at all.
Ever stir M&M's into rice krispie treats?
Or put cake sprinkles on them?
(I've spent way too much time with small children with inventive mothers.)
Same effect, just cute.
And the sushi slice is smaller than a regular square, so, it's not sugar overkill.

My mom would always put peanut butter in her rice krispy treats. Good Golly Miss Molly those were good!! Nowadays when my wife and/or I make them we might put chocolate chips, nuts (anything we can find in this dept), raisins, or maybe even toffee. Whatever blows your hair back, I mean we get pretty creative for such a simple snack. The thing is a lot of times I like taking three or four with me on my Harley rides. What an awesome snack for not a whole lot of money, but make sure you put them somewhere that the motorcycle exhaust doesnt COOK them. YUK - what a waste of a good set of gloves.

MAcadamias and Chocolate frosting.......OOOFdah thats a good snack!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Ok sushi is raw fish right? And we want to make a nice little snuggle bunny school treat out of itSmile omgosh that's so morbid. Should be laws for thatWink

11-03-2010, 09:37 PM
(11-03-2010 08:36 PM)Neilbubbachuck Wrote:  Ok sushi is raw fish right? And we want to make a nice little snuggle bunny school treat out of itSmile omgosh that's so morbid. Should be laws for thatWink

You should have seen the kid's faces when we told them it was sushi...and then they tried it and couldn't get enough.
My sushi loving brother didn't know what it was and inhaled... then had that Confused look on his face. It was pretty funny.

11-03-2010, 11:06 PM
(11-03-2010 09:37 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  
(11-03-2010 08:36 PM)Neilbubbachuck Wrote:  Ok sushi is raw fish right? And we want to make a nice little snuggle bunny school treat out of itSmile omgosh that's so morbid. Should be laws for thatWink

You should have seen the kid's faces when we told them it was sushi...and then they tried it and couldn't get enough.
My sushi loving brother didn't know what it was and inhaled... then had that Confused look on his face. It was pretty funny.

Ok you talked me into it. I'll try anything, I trust yaBig Grin
mail me some.

11-04-2010, 06:25 AM
(11-03-2010 11:06 PM)Neilbubbachuck Wrote:  
(11-03-2010 09:37 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  

Ok you talked me into it. I'll try anything, I trust yaBig Grin
mail me some.
Photos will have to do:
Pictures of Sushi