Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PRIME RIB!!!!!!!
11-09-2010, 10:13 AM
PRIME RIB!!!!!!!
As my Christmas hosting duties are fast approaching, it occurred to me that this would be a great place to ask advice on my main dish…….PRIME RIB………(this would be a great place to have a nice echo effect, maybe some glittery stuff, etc).
I love, love, love prime rib, and for the past couple of years I have been presenting my family with a BBQ’ed Prime Rib for Christmas, and I have been doing really good if I do say myself. BUT, resting on laurels is not allowed, there is always room for improvement.
So, does anybody have any advice or rub recipes for bbq’ing large cuts of beef?
For point of reference, I grill on a Weber Summit, and I use the rotisserie. Oh yeah, fun fact for Weber users, (and I had to really dig to find this out) a Weber rotisserie can handle up to 18lbs of your protein of choice.

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2010, 02:09 PM
RE: PRIME RIB!!!!!!!
Yum! Prime Rib sounds great for Christmas this year!! I actually have the 24th and 25th off this year. First time in 6 years!! I don't have a good recipe Sad but will wait for some here!
11-09-2010, 04:04 PM
(11-09-2010 02:09 PM)RN-PRN Wrote:  Yum! Prime Rib sounds great for Christmas this year!! I actually have the 24th and 25th off this year. First time in 6 years!! I don't have a good recipe Sad but will wait for some here!

Well, if nobody else replies I'll share my research, I do have a couple of good crust/rub recipes.

"Life ain't like books.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
~Laura Moncur
11-09-2010, 05:32 PM
I have no tips, but you have my full attention. Nice, rare prime rib. Mmmmm. Recipes would be awesome!
11-10-2010, 07:46 PM
I've got a recipe, but it pretty much takes up all the oven usage. It's unusual but does work.

Let the Prime Rib roast sit (fat side down) for about 3 hours or until room temp before cooking.
PreHeat the oven to 375 degrees
Rub the roast with a equal mix amount of salt, pepper and garlic powder and cover the meat on all sides.
Place the roast (fat side up) in a shallow roasting pan( no water added or covering of meat with tin foil).
Put the roast into the hot oven and cook for 1 hour. Turn OFF the oven(DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR!!).
When ever you are ready to eat ( anywhere from 25 to 40 minutes before serving) Re-Turn on the oven at the temp of 350 degrees and cook for remaining desired time. After final cooking time to take the roast out of the oven and cover it and allow it to stand for 10 minutes before cutting the meat.

20-25 minutes = rare
30-35 minutes = medium rare
35-40 minutes = medium well
40-50 minutes = well done

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
11-11-2010, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2010 04:37 PM by HardwareGrl.)
(11-10-2010 07:46 PM)2Beers Wrote:  I've got a recipe, but it pretty much takes up all the oven usage. It's unusual but does work.

Let the Prime Rib roast sit (fat side down) for about 3 hours or until room temp before cooking.
PreHeat the oven to 375 degrees
Rub the roast with a equal mix amount of salt, pepper and garlic powder and cover the meat on all sides.
Place the roast (fat side up) in a shallow roasting pan( no water added or covering of meat with tin foil).
Put the roast into the hot oven and cook for 1 hour. Turn OFF the oven(DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR!!).
When ever you are ready to eat ( anywhere from 25 to 40 minutes before serving) Re-Turn on the oven at the temp of 350 degrees and cook for remaining desired time. After final cooking time to take the roast out of the oven and cover it and allow it to stand for 10 minutes before cutting the meat.

20-25 minutes = rare
30-35 minutes = medium rare
35-40 minutes = medium well
40-50 minutes = well done

Thanks! I'll have to give that a try!
Last year I did a Horseraddish Crust...
For a 6 lb rib roast-
5 cloves of Garlic
1/4 prepared horseraddish
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves stripped
2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped
1/2c kosher salt
1/4c pepper
1/2c olive oil

Combine all ingredients into a paste. Rub all over rhe roast.
Roast in your desired method.

Last year my desired method was the barbeque, and it turned out really good.
Its is suprisingly tricky barbequing outside in December. Keeping the heat at a consistant tempature when you have cold breezes blowing at an inconsistant rate can mess you up, so be aware of that if you are going to give it a try.

"Life ain't like books.
~Laura Moncur
11-12-2010, 10:36 AM
I'll be right over! Man that sounds divine. We don't usually do prime rib. Not really sure why. Maybe its because around these parts the Amish folks have their smokehouses going with leg of PORK, so its a little cheaper to put the smoked ham out. That way you can save the bone for bean soup later on.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-16-2010, 09:17 PM
(11-12-2010 10:36 AM)boomer Wrote:  I'll be right over! Man that sounds divine. We don't usually do prime rib. Not really sure why. Maybe its because around these parts the Amish folks have their smokehouses going with leg of PORK, so its a little cheaper to put the smoked ham out. That way you can save the bone for bean soup later on.

Yummmm, a great Ham, thats a hard act to beat. Making hams and managing a smokehouse, thats an art form in my opinion.

Well, I have another Prime Rib Rub

6 to 8 cloves Garlic
4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
2T pepper
2T dried rosemary
2T coarse salt
2T paprika

With a sharp paring knife make a series of 1/2" holes every 2" all over the roast, and alternate inserting either a sliver of garlic or a few leaves of rosemary in each hole. Combine the pepper, dried rosemary, salt and paprika and rub over the surface of the meat.

Roast in your chosen method........sigh, heavenly....

"Life ain't like books.
~Laura Moncur
11-23-2010, 08:25 PM
(11-16-2010 09:17 PM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  
(11-12-2010 10:36 AM)boomer Wrote:  I'll be right over! Man that sounds divine. We don't usually do prime rib. Not really sure why. Maybe its because around these parts the Amish folks have their smokehouses going with leg of PORK, so its a little cheaper to put the smoked ham out. That way you can save the bone for bean soup later on.

Yummmm, a great Ham, thats a hard act to beat. Making hams and managing a smokehouse, thats an art form in my opinion.

Well, I have another Prime Rib Rub

6 to 8 cloves Garlic
4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
2T pepper
2T dried rosemary
2T coarse salt
2T paprika

With a sharp paring knife make a series of 1/2" holes every 2" all over the roast, and alternate inserting either a sliver of garlic or a few leaves of rosemary in each hole. Combine the pepper, dried rosemary, salt and paprika and rub over the surface of the meat.

Roast in your chosen method........sigh, heavenly....

I'm replying to myself.....thats odd on so many levels.

So, just to guild the lilly, if you happen to be lucky enough to have a rosemary growing in your yard, I would gather up some of the dead, dying, or just ugly branches of of it and throw them into the smoker box while you are roasting your prime rib. That flavored smoke just pushes the whole thing over the top.
Sigh... I can't wait for Christmas....

"Life ain't like books.
~Laura Moncur
12-18-2010, 12:07 AM
I will be making prime rib for Christmas this year. A few of the kids want ham, but I will make a small one for Christmas Eve and they can have the leftovers for lunches. I have never made one, but I am soooooo tired of ham. I need to figure out what else to make with it, but I don't really think that will be a problem. I will let you know how it works out.