Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PRIME RIB!!!!!!!
12-18-2010, 08:23 AM
RE: PRIME RIB!!!!!!!
(11-16-2010 09:17 PM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  Yummmm, a great Ham, thats a hard act to beat. Making hams and managing a smokehouse, thats an art form in my opinion.

Well, I have another Prime Rib Rub

6 to 8 cloves Garlic
4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
2T pepper
2T dried rosemary
2T coarse salt
2T paprika

With a sharp paring knife make a series of 1/2" holes every 2" all over the roast, and alternate inserting either a sliver of garlic or a few leaves of rosemary in each hole. Combine the pepper, dried rosemary, salt and paprika and rub over the surface of the meat.

Roast in your chosen method........sigh, heavenly....
(my emphasis added)

This sounds really good! It's not even 10:00 am on Saturday morning and suddenly I'm voraciously hungry for this prime rib!

One question: I've been told not to poke holes in the meat because some of the natural cooking juice runs out those holes. Does this not happen with your prime rib? Are these holes shallow enough so that doesn't happen?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2010, 10:01 AM
How did I miss this thread?

The above recipe is about right. I purchase a complete rub from a trusted local market. (they make their own)
Rosemary is the key. Use plenty. Push some garlic inside, don't worry about the hole, it's a big chunk of meat.
Also be sure to cut the bone mostly off then tie it back on. Some meat markets will do this for you, but you still have to untie it for seasoning then retie.

I eat, therefor I am.

2011 Ironman Lake Placid - Finisher
12-18-2010, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2010 11:18 AM by HardwareGrl.)
(12-18-2010 08:23 AM)old honda rider Wrote:  
(11-16-2010 09:17 PM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  Yummmm, a great Ham, thats a hard act to beat. Making hams and managing a smokehouse, thats an art form in my opinion.

6 to 8 cloves Garlic
2T pepper
2T dried rosemary
2T coarse salt
2T paprika

With a sharp paring knife make a series of 1/2" holes every 2" all over the roast, and alternate inserting either a sliver of garlic or a few leaves of rosemary in each hole. Combine the pepper, dried rosemary, salt and paprika and rub over the surface of the meat.

(my emphasis added)

This sounds really good! It's not even 10:00 am on Saturday morning and suddenly I'm voraciously hungry for this prime rib!

One question: I've been told not to poke holes in the meat because some of the natural cooking juice runs out those holes. Does this not happen with your prime rib? Are these holes shallow enough so that doesn't happen?

In my experence, no, it hasn't made the meat dry. One of the things that I do is pick a prime rib that has a nice thick fat cap on it, that way it adds lot of mousture and flavor. I put the garlic and rosemary slits through the fat cap side, and it seals the slits up nicely.
If your guests object to a fatty cut, well thats why you gave them a knife, wasn't it?Tongue
(12-18-2010 10:01 AM)Detroit Dan Wrote:  How did I miss this thread?

The above recipe is about right. I purchase a complete rub from a trusted local market. (they make their own)
Rosemary is the key. Use plenty. Push some garlic inside, don't worry about the hole, it's a big chunk of meat.
Also be sure to cut the bone mostly off then tie it back on. Some meat markets will do this for you, but you still have to untie it for seasoning then retie.

LOL!Tongue
I was going to say something, but I didn't want to be accused of acting like a moderator, (which can happen, I get a little bossy at times Big Grin).
Dan, do you have any other hints for a great prime rib? What timing do you use?

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
12-22-2010, 11:02 AM
(12-18-2010 11:14 AM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  
(12-18-2010 08:23 AM)old honda rider Wrote:  

6 to 8 cloves Garlic
2T pepper
2T dried rosemary
2T coarse salt
2T paprika

(my emphasis added)

In my experence, no, it hasn't made the meat dry. One of the things that I do is pick a prime rib that has a nice thick fat cap on it, that way it adds lot of mousture and flavor. I put the garlic and rosemary slits through the fat cap side, and it seals the slits up nicely.
If your guests object to a fatty cut, well thats why you gave them a knife, wasn't it?Tongue
(12-18-2010 10:01 AM)Detroit Dan Wrote:  How did I miss this thread?

LOL!Tongue
I was going to say something, but I didn't want to be accused of acting like a moderator, (which can happen, I get a little bossy at times Big Grin).
Dan, do you have any other hints for a great prime rib? What timing do you use?

Timing will vary greatly depending on size, well done, rare... The 2 that I cooked together (pictures in other thread) cooked on the rotisserie for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Then 30 minutes NO HEAT rotation. It will continue to cook even after you take it out of the oven. A standard meat thermometer is handy.

I eat, therefor I am.

2011 Ironman Lake Placid - Finisher
12-22-2010, 09:06 PM
That reminds me, I need to drag the 16 pounder out of the freezer tomorrow to start thawing it in time...
Oh, and the 9 lb Ham.....
and that Turkey Breast, gotta make sure its thawed too....
Crimney, where am I gonna cook with my counters coverd with thawing stuff?Huh

"Life ain't like books.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
~Laura Moncur
12-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Goodness sakes are you expecting the 2nd Armored Division from Fort Lost in the Woods?

I think you have all the meat groups covered!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-22-2010, 09:30 PM
(12-22-2010 09:17 PM)boomer Wrote:  Goodness sakes are you expecting the 2nd Armored Division from Fort Lost in the Woods?

I think you have all the meat groups covered!

I am the youngest of 5 kids.
So, starting in order, my oldest sister is married, and has 2 kids. (4)
Next oldest sis, married, has 4 step kids. (6)
Next, only brother, married, 2 kids. (4)
Next oldest sis, married, 3 kids. (5)
Me, married, no kids. (2)
My Mom. (1)
My In-Laws, Mom, Dad, Brother. (3)
So, thats what, 25?
And then every other stray I pick up during the year that has no where to go for Christmas.
And of course, you Boomer and Mrs. Boomer when you escape the clutches of the evil Flat Lands, right?Big Grin

The bad thing about this kind of a meal is you have no escape from leftovers.
You think to yourself, "I am SO SICK OF TURKEY! I want Beef...oh no, we had Beef too. Well I want Ham, ugh, not Ham, anything but Ham!"
See? No escape!

"Life ain't like books.
~Laura Moncur
12-22-2010, 09:34 PM
You're ON!!!!

But....OMG. You might as well have invited the Air Force while you're at it!!! I'd be afraid to ask about the "strays" 'cause I might end up being on THAT list.

I assume you call the Fire Department in to do all the dishes? You'd drain the Willamette River doing all that dear.

12-22-2010, 09:39 PM
(12-22-2010 09:34 PM)boomer Wrote:  You're ON!!!!

But....OMG. You might as well have invited the Air Force while you're at it!!! I'd be afraid to ask about the "strays" 'cause I might end up being on THAT list.

I assume you call the Fire Department in to do all the dishes? You'd drain the Willamette River doing all that dear.

Well, why do you think I invite so many people?

I COOK.

THEY CLEAN.

(Only problem with that set-up is I have to play find-the-kitchen-gadget after they put everything away for me!)Wink

"Life ain't like books.
~Laura Moncur
12-22-2010, 09:45 PM
We used to have great Christmas parties or even go to some great holiday parties, but almost all of our friends are in their 60's and just dont want to even get together for a wee dram of water. And to boot, my wife does not have many living relatives left and those that are around are just a couple nieces that live out of state. My folks are never around for Christmas, so we do Thanksgiving, so the last 5 years or so we have just done a quiet ham dinner by ourselves.

Find the kitchen gadget....that sounds familiar. Is that like - Hunny-gotowalmartwecannotfindthecanopener???