Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PRIME RIB!!!!!!!
12-22-2010, 09:49 PM
RE: PRIME RIB!!!!!!!
(12-22-2010 09:45 PM)boomer Wrote:  Find the kitchen gadget....that sounds familiar. Is that like - Hunny-gotowalmartwecannotfindthecanopener???

LOL!

Yep, that about sums it up!

P.S. You and Mrs. Boomer would not be on the strays list, no. Honored Guests, and I wouldn't even make you clean up!Tongue

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Wow! I dont know that I would know what to do with myself if I didnt have to clean up. Mother is ALWAYS crackin the whip when we go over for Thanksgiving Dinner.

Oh wait - thats at dad though. Nevermind.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-22-2010, 10:20 PM
(12-22-2010 09:58 PM)boomer Wrote:  Wow! I dont know that I would know what to do with myself if I didnt have to clean up. Mother is ALWAYS crackin the whip when we go over for Thanksgiving Dinner.

Oh wait - thats at dad though. Nevermind.

Talking about the whip, I need to clean this place up, and there's nobody to boss around but me, so here I go!

"Life ain't like books.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
~Laura Moncur
12-23-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm making the ham this year. My brother said he'd do the rest of the Holiday eats and such since I'm on mend from surgery. So I've got to have my youngest remove the quarter of pig from the freezer. It's about 18 lbs and is a whole ham, so we will be looking at leftovers. Why did we get such a large piece of mammal flesh you may ask? Well...don't take a hungry spouse into the small grocery/meat market. We went into get the flavor of the week brat special and it was in the meat case...need I say more.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
12-23-2010, 05:42 PM
(12-23-2010 10:19 AM)2Beers Wrote:  I'm making the ham this year. My brother said he'd do the rest of the Holiday eats and such since I'm on mend from surgery. So I've got to have my youngest remove the quarter of pig from the freezer. It's about 18 lbs and is a whole ham, so we will be looking at leftovers. Why did we get such a large piece of mammal flesh you may ask? Well...don't take a hungry spouse into the small grocery/meat market. We went into get the flavor of the week brat special and it was in the meat case...need I say more.

Mmmmmmmmm, smoked pig leg.....

The problem with that purchace is, yeah you have the ham, but, aren't you still hungry? 'Cause you have to wait till you get to eat it?Huh

Ah, anticipation......

"Life ain't like books.
~Laura Moncur
12-25-2010, 07:33 PM
The prime rib turned out great! Only a very small piece left. I think my boys and husband will be fighting over it tomorrow.
12-25-2010, 10:11 PM
(12-25-2010 07:33 PM)RN-PRN Wrote:  The prime rib turned out great! Only a very small piece left. I think my boys and husband will be fighting over it tomorrow.

Great! I knew you could do it. Smile
Make it more often. Really. It gets less scarry.

I eat, therefor I am.

2011 Ironman Lake Placid - Finisher
08-14-2012, 03:40 PM
Good info here...especially that whole 18lb pig leg thing.

Thx folks...

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
08-20-2012, 08:55 AM
Prime Rib never gets old! I saw the earlier recipe, and that is dead on to my own that I've been doing for years. I go to a local farm that raises their own beef and they leave a nice layer of fat on top for me. Next, preheat the oven to 450 degrees....yes 450 - two methods to try after that is 1. put meat in (5 pounds or bigger) 450 preheated oven and then immediately turn the heat down to 325, or else 2. leave oven at 450 for about 20 minutes and THEN turn down to about 325. The high heat early puts a very nice crust on the meat, especially with the salt and pepper (as well as some thyme, definitely rosemary (i crush it first) and then I also add a good dusting of onion powder). I usually do about 6 pounds, and it is usually about 2-1/2 hours because at about 2 hours I keep opening and closing the door too often! Smile . I refuse to put a meat thermometer until I am positive it is close. I use an oven thermometer to to be sure of my temps. internal temp of meat for me is 150 when I pull out. Let it sit 20 minutes or so, that really does help the protein break down and continues to tenderize...hence the slower cooking at 325 (some goes as low as 300). Wow - think I just wrote a book here....
08-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Sounds really yummy, PA! We have a prime rib every year for the Pagan Solstice Festival and Ren Man uses a similar method to prepare it, though he sears it on the griddle then bakes it. And you're correct - letting it rest is SO important!

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!