Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PRIME RIB!!!!!!!
08-21-2012, 12:36 PM
RE: PRIME RIB!!!!!!!
(08-20-2012 08:55 AM)Peter Ace Wrote:  Prime Rib never gets old! I saw the earlier recipe, and that is dead on to my own that I've been doing for years. I go to a local farm that raises their own beef and they leave a nice layer of fat on top for me. Next, preheat the oven to 450 degrees....yes 450 - two methods to try after that is 1. put meat in (5 pounds or bigger) 450 preheated oven and then immediately turn the heat down to 325, or else 2. leave oven at 450 for about 20 minutes and THEN turn down to about 325. The high heat early puts a very nice crust on the meat, especially with the salt and pepper (as well as some thyme, definitely rosemary (i crush it first) and then I also add a good dusting of onion powder). I usually do about 6 pounds, and it is usually about 2-1/2 hours because at about 2 hours I keep opening and closing the door too often! Smile . I refuse to put a meat thermometer until I am positive it is close. I use an oven thermometer to to be sure of my temps. internal temp of meat for me is 150 when I pull out. Let it sit 20 minutes or so, that really does help the protein break down and continues to tenderize...hence the slower cooking at 325 (some goes as low as 300). Wow - think I just wrote a book here....

I have also used some expresso coffee grinds in the rub along with the others mentioned except the onion powder. I recently bought a charcoal grill and I wonder if I should give it a go on there too.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply