Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Thanksgiving
11-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanksgiving
For those of us in the state, Thanksgiving is rapidly approaching. So, I thought that I would just ask:

1. Are you hosting, or traveling this holiday?
2. Are you cooking? (or are you "mooching"?)
3. Are there any special recipes or dishes that are made for holiday meals?
4. Will you be watching the Macy's parade while someone else cooks?

For my family, we're going to my sister's for our meal. My dad is the main cook for the holidays now. We used to crowd into his tiny duplex for dinner, however my sister's house is easier for her mother to get into (due to using a walker, due to having MS). I usually make a batch of meatless stuffing (as my husby & kids are vegetarians) to take over. The dinner has always been the same: Turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, Bodacious corn, dinner rolls, and both pumpkin and chocolate cream pie (in the past 4 years, those have been made at Marie Callender's).

I will have visited with my relatives, answering the two main questions that my dad always asks: 1. "Have you seen any good movies lately?" and 2. "How's the car running?". My daughter will be chasing her two, toddler-age cousins around, and my son will probably be drawing pictures all afternoon.

We tend to come home with a few leftovers, which we'll snack on for the rest of the evening. Then, we'll just rest while the kids watch a movie (though after only eating and visiting, I have no idea why we're so tired that we need to rest).

So, does anyone have a Thanksgiving routine that is just as, or more (or less) exciting than the one I just described?

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2010, 02:31 PM
RE: Thanksgiving
When I'm home, our family rotates between my brother's house and my sister's. They make the turkey, pototoes, and stuffing, and we all bring a dish or dessert to pass. I make candied sweet potatoes.

But this is my year up north at the boyfriend's family, and his brother and brother in law are chefs! They do a great job of accomodating my and his sister's allergies.
It will be a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I'll either bring something for breakfast the next morning, or a dessert that travels well, like my favorite apple pie.
Then my boyfriend and I get to do the dishes.Smile

Find all posts by this user
11-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Well, Miss Bagel...lets see if this tickles your fancy!

We travel to my folks in Michigan. Its about 350 miles from my house to theirs. All my brothers and sisters are there, along with my moms sister and her husband. We usually take something to 'contribute', but since this is only our second try at it, we are not sure yet exactly what mom wants to do. Fortunately, my mom and pop have about 5000 SF of house to move around in, and it sits on a rather picturesque lake not far from Lake Michigan. Since its going to be 'decent' weather, everyone wants ol Boomy to bring his Harley, so I am loading up the miles to make sure I have everything ready for some cold weather riding. And, usually dad coaxes me into doing something menial, like chopping a couple cords of firewood, or looking over his property lines, or even helping with moving furniture around. AGAIN! We usually leave around Friday or Saturday after, so it gives my wife and I time to recover, go into therapy, take all the pins needles knives and forks out of our backs, and rest up for the coming week.

Like I said this is our second try. Before last year, my folks still lived in Oregon. It was next to impossible to get everyone together, but now we are only a hop skip and a jump from Kalamazoo. Leftover? No.....dad is insistent that they keep all the leftovers, so when we get back Saturday night, my wife and get our own little bird together for Sunday.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
11-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Ummmm? That "dad" guy seems like he's got his own agenda! And by the way...Canadian Thanksgiving wouldn't conflict with those celebrations and I only have 1 cord of wood to split. Maybe move that old freezer to the back shed...And yeah, the eaves are kinda jacked up with leaves. And that leak stain in the kitchen ceiling...You're good at that too right? Oh, by the way...bring your own leftovers....just sayin'!

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
11-20-2010, 06:06 PM
I know he has his own agenda! Last year he "tried" to con me into helping him get lumber so he could start the new garage he built specifically to house the one thing he cherishes more than life itself - his Corvette. Guess he wanted to get an early start away from mom. Sorry - I retired from chores last year....although I did just get off the phone with the momster, and she says the list has already started. Its the Boomer list because Boomer has the 4WD pickup truck to bring stuff home from Lowes.

Sounds you need the help more than my dad does. But no leftovers? Thats a little greedy! At least my mom feeds me after doing the Boomer chores.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
11-20-2010, 06:38 PM
I can't remember when it started but, I've been doing the Thanksgiving feasts for awhile. Turkey,stuffing,mashed potatoes,cranberry relish (my Grandma's recipe so I'll post it ),relishes(mini dill pickles, green and black olives,cherry peppers) and buns are the regulars. We mix it up a bit with the hot side dishes of veggies and I like to try a different WISC wine to have with lunch(kids have the sparkling grape juice). Desserts well it depends on who asks for what. This year my Nephew and Niece begged for the frozen pumpkin torte, my Brother requested apple pie or chocolate dipped Oreos and I like pecan pie. The afternoon is spent visiting but, now there is a Wii smack down going on with my youngest and my nephew for 100 pin bowling. Everyone helps out with the cleaning up and sit at the table while we do dishes(although the kids have promised to be the clean up crew this year). Supper is the leftovers and generally some fun new snack to try.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
11-20-2010, 07:14 PM
(11-20-2010 06:06 PM)boomer Wrote:  I know he has his own agenda! Last year he "tried" to con me into helping him get lumber so he could start the new garage he built specifically to house the one thing he cherishes more than life itself - his Corvette. Guess he wanted to get an early start away from mom. Sorry - I retired from chores last year....although I did just get off the phone with the momster, and she says the list has already started. Its the Boomer list because Boomer has the 4WD pickup truck to bring stuff home from Lowes.

Sounds you need the help more than my dad does. But no leftovers? Thats a little greedy! At least my mom feeds me after doing the Boomer chores.

I am so glad that my dad doesn't wait for sons-in-law to show up for chore purposes (my husband is too. It does sound like something that my step-father would do). Actually he's the one that others in the family give the chores to. Boomer, my dad has a Corvette too, however, he's content to keep it under his carport, and covered.

So Nettie, what do you bring for breakfast? I usually serve cinnamon rolls.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
11-20-2010, 08:52 PM
(11-20-2010 07:14 PM)Bageleth Wrote:  
(11-20-2010 06:06 PM)boomer Wrote:  I know he has his own agenda! Last year he "tried" to con me into helping him get lumber so he could start the new garage he built specifically to house the one thing he cherishes more than life itself - his Corvette. Guess he wanted to get an early start away from mom. Sorry - I retired from chores last year....although I did just get off the phone with the momster, and she says the list has already started. Its the Boomer list because Boomer has the 4WD pickup truck to bring stuff home from Lowes.

I am so glad that my dad doesn't wait for sons-in-law to show up for chore purposes (my husband is too. It does sound like something that my step-father would do). Actually he's the one that others in the family give the chores to. Boomer, my dad has a Corvette too, however, he's content to keep it under his carport, and covered.

So Nettie, what do you bring for breakfast? I usually serve cinnamon rolls.

I usually just make sure I have my bread...allergies you know, but this year I thought I'd make that italian breakfast bread that I posted and impress the chefs.

11-20-2010, 11:52 PM
I love cooking a big Thanksgiving feast for my family, but as of the last 6 years it has been for only immediate family. Seven years ago, I invited what family we have close to us for dinner (11 in all). I spent days before preparing and making several desserts (my pumpkin swirled cheesecake is posted). My children were 6, 3, and 1 1/2 at that time. I spent all day cooking and was still preparing when family arrived and plopped down in the other room. I was trying to cook, take care of the kids (chase after is more like it), set the tables and keep all the pots and pans washed prior to dinner. Nobody even asked if I needed any help with anything (or anyone). Some sat in their separate corners (felt like family feud). Needless to say, I got to eat a cold dinner and then cleaned up without help. From that day on I vowed never to have them all over again for dinner. We have been to my mother-in-laws for Thanksgiving dinner, but they always mention when I am going to make it next (It is great that they can open boxes and cans for their side dishes.) I am the only one who cooks from scratch and goes all out to make dinners...or any meals. My sister and her husband have no problem coming to our house for dinner either, yet we have NEVER been there for Thanksgiving dinner...come to think of it we haven't been there in over a year and a half for dinner! Me bitter....NAAAHHHH.
Since I have been back to work (last 6 years), I have tried to work Thanksgiving so I am not obligated to do anything and my husband and kids don't mind waiting a day or two for my turkey dinner. In fact mine will be on Saturday this year. Anyone but my family is invited Smile So Boomer if you make it out to the Detroit area on Saturday you are welcome...I may be a little tired from working the night before, but I am used to staying up of 40 hours at a time Wink
11-21-2010, 04:26 AM
Ergh. Avoiding MAJOR drama by staying away from my own families' feast this year (but missing out on my Dad's mashed potatoes, which are the best I've ever had by a long shot).

Going to my significant whatevers family for a smallish feast Thursday, then a larger one Saturday. And having some of my family over sometime that weekend. And writing a philosophy paper. And cleaning up 300 pounds of dog fur (what animal sheds at the beginning of winter, you ask? A dopey, over-large German Shepherd who STILL cannot tell the difference between my shoes and his chew toys. Maybe I should strap those to my feet this winter.)