Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Boat Grilling
04-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Boat Grilling
For the 4th of July, we will be hosting a get together on our boat and will be putting to use our portable boat grill for the first time.

Does anyone have any simple grill recipes that would minimize mess and prep area/time? I love grilling but I use my huge home grill and am spoiled by all the prep space and grill space.

Any insight would be appreciated.

"Food - Glorious Food!"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2010, 02:09 PM
RE: Boat Grilling
How about shish kebobs, or anything you can skewer?

You can do all the prep at home (marinating, chopping, assembling), then just throw them in a cooler. Combine meat and veggies, and you have the full course on a stick, in bite-sized pieces. They cook quickly and a bunch fit on the grill at once, using all of your small space. We even grill fruit (like pineapple) for dessert.

Hope this helps!
04-23-2010, 02:56 PM
(04-23-2010 02:09 PM)Entre Nous Wrote:  How about shish kebobs, or anything you can skewer?

You can do all the prep at home (marinating, chopping, assembling), then just throw them in a cooler. Combine meat and veggies, and you have the full course on a stick, in bite-sized pieces. They cook quickly and a bunch fit on the grill at once, using all of your small space. We even grill fruit (like pineapple) for dessert.

Hope this helps!

Great thought! I will arrange to have some lamb cut up at the butcher... Perhaps some Shrimp and well... Shish Kebobs... excellent idea!

That will fill the requirement of an interesting entree yet easy to prepare with low amount of mess. Additionally I received a great recipe from our grilling chef at Viking Range for garlic onion potatoes in foil...

Thanks for the idea! I'll post pics...

"Food - Glorious Food!"
04-23-2010, 02:58 PM
I think a bacon wrapped pork tenderloin is in order for boating. It also can be prepped before hand and stored. About 45 minutes on mediumish heat
04-23-2010, 03:00 PM
(04-23-2010 02:58 PM)Bopgun11 Wrote:  I think a bacon wrapped pork tenderloin is in order for boating. It also can be prepped before hand and stored. About 45 minutes on mediumish heat

Mediumish - is that Yiddish for 'not too hot, not too cold'? I can see it now - someone's Uncle Sal "OK - now put it on the grill and cook it 'Meediumish'..."

Thanks for the idea... I'm not much of a pork fan though.

"Food - Glorious Food!"
04-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Quote:Great thought! I will arrange to have some lamb cut up at the butcher... Perhaps some Shrimp and well... Shish Kebobs... excellent idea!

That will fill the requirement of an interesting entree yet easy to prepare with low amount of mess. Additionally I received a great recipe from our grilling chef at Viking Range for garlic onion potatoes in foil...

Happy to help! I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Now, about that potato recipe...can you share? ;-)
04-23-2010, 04:11 PM
(04-23-2010 03:51 PM)Entre Nous Wrote:  
Quote:Great thought! I will arrange to have some lamb cut up at the butcher... Perhaps some Shrimp and well... Shish Kebobs... excellent idea!

Ditto on sharing the potato recipe....Bring it!

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
04-24-2010, 03:59 AM
(04-23-2010 04:11 PM)Brutus Wrote:  

It is rather simple, but he swears it will compliment well:

- 1 12oz bottle beer
- 4 potatoes, cubed
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp Tony Chachere's Creole
- 1/2 tbsp dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Reynolds heavy aluminum foil

1. Measure out 3 squares of aluminum foil large enough to easily wrap the vegetables, and layer one on top of the other. Place some of the potatoes and onion in the center, sprinkle with spices, salt and pepper, and dot with butter. Wet lightly with beer then wrap into a flattened square, and seal the edges.
2. Place aluminum wrapped package over indirect heat, and cover. Cook for approximately 30 minutes, turning once.

"Food - Glorious Food!"
04-24-2010, 08:03 AM
(04-24-2010 03:59 AM)Synthetic Wrote:  
(04-23-2010 04:11 PM)Brutus Wrote:  

It is rather simple, but he swears it will compliment well:

- 1 12oz bottle beer
- 4 potatoes, cubed
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp Tony Chachere's Creole
- 1/2 tbsp dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Reynolds heavy aluminum foil

1. Measure out 3 squares of aluminum foil large enough to easily wrap the vegetables, and layer one on top of the other. Place some of the potatoes and onion in the center, sprinkle with spices, salt and pepper, and dot with butter. Wet lightly with beer then wrap into a flattened square, and seal the edges.
2. Place aluminum wrapped package over indirect heat, and cover. Cook for approximately 30 minutes, turning once.
No Garlic?

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
04-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Very similar recipe to what my wife makes. For garlic and seasoning, she just uses:

Mrs. Dash
Lowry's Seasoned salt
Garlic salt

We tend not to use beer. But, I can see it being an interesting flavour.

May have to try with a fresh clove of garlic instead of the garlic salt.