Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hot Buttered Orange Punch
11-23-2010, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2010 09:36 PM by 2Beers.)
Hot Buttered Orange Punch
Since the weather has a bit of a chill in the air I thought I'd share this...
(it's not for those in a dieting mode)

In a large 8 quart stock pot bring to a boil :
3 cups water
1 1/2 cups brown sugar (packed firm in the measuring cup)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup honey
20 whole cloves *
2 tsp. ground cinnamon*
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg*
6 whole pods of white scandinavian cardamon*
3 TBSP dried crystallized candied ginger --cut up--*
4 whole cinnamon sticks*

Then add to the pot and bring it down to a gentle simmer:
1 quart fresh orange juice
1 cup fresh lemon juice
4 cups apple cider (generally found in the refrigerated produce section)
1/2 cup sweet butter-- cut into chunks--

Stir well and then simmer on low for about 1 hour or longer to allow the flavors to mingle.
Take an extra orange and lemon cut them into thin slices and float on top of the punch.

Keep the heat on low(or a bit above) enough to keep the punch hot.

We use a crock pot on low setting after it is done. So much easier to keep hot and handy for everyone to serve themselves.
Serve ladled into mugs with a cinnamon stick.

I get my spices from http://www.penzeys.com

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2010, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2010 05:57 PM by Mufasa.)
RE: Hot Buttered Orange Punch
Does this come off "buttery", or more spicy? I'm not sure I could stomach it if I kept thinking I was drinking butter.
I know I'm Southern, but I draw the line at drinking it... unless it's going in with lobster!

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
11-28-2010, 05:50 PM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2010 05:51 PM by 2Beers.)
As long as the punch stays nice and hot it blends/ melds well. The acid from the fresh orange juice and fresh lemon juice also help, but if it gets cold then yes little butter globs will form. You can always cut down on the amount of butter to just 2 Tablespoons too.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
12-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Yeah, the idea of butter pieces grosses me out as well. I might try it some Saturday. It's freezing here right now. And who's worried about calories now? It's almost holiday time. Let's stop worrying for five minutes and enjoy ourselves!

Rock on with a funny facebook status.