Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Composing your submissions as attachments
04-26-2010, 04:25 PM
RE: Composing your submissions as attachments
I can see posting attachments for a huge article But for most forum readers it would be a hassle to have to click an attachment to read a post. Now if it's a long one like an update from Bubba then I could see putting it in a PDF or Word. The forum should be able to handle 1000 or so active members at one time without slowing down.

"The computer allows you to make mistakes faster than any other invention, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2010, 08:03 AM
Yeah that seems to be the consensus and I'm good with that. I'm new to driving this bus and need all the advice and help I can get. Thanks for the feedback.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
04-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Big fan of Google Docs myself. Easy to upload, easy to link to. Many of the Word Processing programs we work with at school allow you to save files as PDF's, just change your file type when you click "Save As", if you want to use PDF's...

I tend to skim long posts and forums anyway, so either attaching a Doc or inserting a LONG post is fine with me.

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
04-27-2010, 05:04 PM
(04-23-2010 04:57 PM)Brutus Wrote:  
(04-23-2010 04:42 PM)MacDaddy08 Wrote:  I agree with ForceTen. Scrolling is not a huge issue to me either. Also, I'm on a Mac, so, not overly concerned about getting viruses. But I would not want to pass one on to a PC user either, Just sayin'..........

Yeah, I'm thinking scrollin' is cool too. BUT!!!! If it's a really long submission (check out my Newfoundland Triptik) what would you suggest?

Checked out your Newfoundland Triptik.................awesome reading. Makes me want to cruise my Goldwing on that trip! Scrolling wasn't an issue to me, but I think scrolling on my Mac makes it an easy task, maybe not so easy on PC. Either way, it doesn't really matter to me. I can read basically any document without much hassle. Not a friend of Google Docs though. Only because in recent months I have discovered how much personal info Google likes to keep and use to their benefit. I have gmail account and that's about all I'll give to them. So, whatever works best for the masses will work for me too...........Later and by the way, thanks to all involved for the really cool website!
04-27-2010, 05:35 PM
I tend to be the experimentalist...as in try something, let it run for a little while, see how it works. If it does, yay. If not: wash, rinse, repeat.

Also, every time I read the subject title for this thread, it somehow processes as "Composting you submissions" at first glance. I really don't know why...Huh

"Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm." - JFK
04-28-2010, 08:46 AM
I think if we all stay on point, and don't go too crazy in our postings, we should be fine. Let's all remember this is a golden opportunity afforded to us by the owner and management of this joint, so let's not abuse the privledge.
05-03-2010, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2010 12:51 PM by thestarman.)
(04-22-2010 10:10 AM)Brutus Wrote:  
(04-22-2010 09:35 AM)ForceTen Wrote:  A couple of issues with doing is that way:

1) Not everyone has MS Word so the .doc format isn't universal
2) Chance of spreading viruses
3) Scroll screen usually isn't an issue on lengthy submissions unless you're on a slow connection. It's when it's not broken down into paragraphs that makes it difficult to read.

All in all, I like it here and am curious to see how it grown. I'm not really much of a cook. But, I'm always willing to try something new.
Thanks for the response. I just assumed that MS Word was kind of everywhere but I'm learning it's not. What about PDF files? If anyone is having problems opening my attachments let me know and tell me another way to post them. Is there a way for me to convert my existing Word docs to PDF or perhaps a tiff file? Anything I can do to make it friendlier for the user?

You could always use Google Documents: http://documents.google.com. That way you could post an external link to the composition without anyone even needing a Google account to view it! Plus, it can be exported to Word.
05-03-2010, 08:47 PM
(05-03-2010 12:49 PM)thestarman Wrote:  You could always use Google Documents: http://documents.google.com. That way you could post an external link to the composition without anyone even needing a Google account to view it! Plus, it can be exported to Word.

I would highly recommend reading the Terms of Use for Google Docs before submitting anything to Google docs.
05-04-2010, 01:27 AM
someone said the most important thing the cowfart is missing is the ability to post apicture.

food, my friend, is an aliementary being wafting up. now since smellivision is out of the question, allow me and all the members (mensas) to post a pic of the food that we so dearly love, love.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-04-2010, 04:42 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2010 04:42 AM by ForceTen.)
(05-04-2010 01:27 AM)ePhilosopher9 Wrote:  someone said the most important thing the cowfart is missing is the ability to post apicture.

You can post a picture. Either by using a hosting site such as Photobucket, flickr, or others which provide you with a url to host the picture with. Or, by attaching it. You have to be in the advanced reply screen though. You can't do it via quick reply box.

To attach pictures, simply click on reply, then at the bottom of the screen you'll see "attachments". Click on the browse button and select your picture. When done, click on "Post Reply" button and you're finished.

Be aware though, that we're only given a 250KB limit. So, while you can attach pictures, files, etc. space will run out quickly if you post a lot. While linking pictures from a hosted site such as Photobucket, flickr, etc relies upon another site and may slow down the page load at times, it's generally fairly quick to load. I've had very few issues with posting pictures on photobucket over the years.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)