Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pickled Brussels Sprouts. No, really!
12-25-2010, 10:40 PM
RE: Pickled Brussels Sprouts. No, really!
I bought a jar to take to my Brother's for Christmas and now have my 12 year old nephew liking them. He was told by my Hubby that they would give him (sigh....)the power to clear a room in under 1 minute, to which my Nephew's response was "Sweet!".

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2011, 09:09 PM
I really didn't like the dill, so I made a batch with bread and butter pickle
flavorings...now we'll have to see how they taste. I just made them yesterday. I want to give them a chance to marinate for few days before I try them.

01-02-2011, 09:36 PM
(01-02-2011 09:09 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  I really didn't like the dill, so I made a batch with bread and butter pickle
flavorings...now we'll have to see how they taste. I just made them yesterday. I want to give them a chance to marinate for few days before I try them.

Hmmm, B&B, interesting.......let me know how they turn out!

I'm sad you didn't like the dill, those are a real favorite of mine.
Did I mention my nephews call them pickled monkey brains? Despite the moniker they gobble them up!

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
01-02-2011, 09:40 PM
(01-02-2011 09:36 PM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  
(01-02-2011 09:09 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  I really didn't like the dill, so I made a batch with bread and butter pickle

Did I mention my nephews call them pickled monkey brains? Despite the moniker they gobble them up!

I just don't like dill in general, nothing against the sprouts...I love brussel sprouts!
Monkey brains, that's cute!

01-05-2011, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2011 07:45 PM by Nettie.)
(01-02-2011 09:40 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  
(01-02-2011 09:36 PM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  

I just don't like dill in general, nothing against the sprouts...I love brussel sprouts!
Monkey brains, that's cute!
They have the flavor that I wanted, but were too crunchy, as I just blanched them before I pickled them. Next time I will cook them a bit before they get pickled.

01-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Never heard about pickled brussel sprouts... thank you! I will definitely give that a try, as they do well in my garden every year, after a nice frost nothing better. Seems like they'd marry well in certain martinis too.

I once asked Mr. Rogers for his autograph
01-27-2011, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2011 11:48 PM by Neilbubbachuck.)
Rainbow RE: Pickled Brussels Sprouts. No, really!
Hard G, Everyday that the mailman comes, I sprint to his truck on foot to see if my Christmas cookies have arrived. They must have messed up the address because it's been late over a month now. Anyway, Snuggles (the mailman whom I didn't know until I started making the 6 miles long trips up my rock, ice covered driveway (and it's uphill too), Plus it's full of snow), and I have become friends.
Everyday, I make that 6 mile trip back home in the cold, with empty hands and a crushed spirit and tear filled eyes singing love songs of the way things used to be. It's an awful burden for a plate of cookies G.

Three days ago when I was making "the hike", I took a tumble down one of the steep sections of
the driveway that I call Devils elbow. I nailed my mouth on a huge rock and took out 4 of my
front teeth and now I talk with a vicious lisp. Do you know how hard it is to do my job with no teeth and a huge fat, swollen lip? Plus Snuggles keeps driving by the house in his mailtruck.

Thanks Hard G! Maybe we can forget about cookies and talk about Brussels now like I'm should beSmile lol Wink

Don't talk smack about Total!!
01-27-2011, 02:52 PM
OMG guy! What the heck??

I sure hope yur ok! Thats why we dont have any rocks anywhere near the house. Just the downgrade of the driveway is enough to drive me nuts. Man - hope you have a good dentist!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-27-2011, 11:46 PM
I'll be ok in thime, off fwrom wok. bethides my new job is a weal dwag and I can pway my dwums aw day

Don't talk smack about Total!!
01-28-2011, 02:15 AM
Whoa. This is like my nightmare. Don't like too many things pickled, hate Brussels Sprouts. I found out recently that I am a supertaster. Tongue is so sensitive that it interferes with my ability to enjoy food. I thought I was just picky. But Brussels Sprouts is on the top six that supertasters can't stand: Coffee, grapefruit juice, cabbage, BS, broccoli, and dark chocolate. The only thing I can even eat on that list is dark chocolate, but only some types. Grapefruit juice makes me physically gag. The rest I just hate, no matter how you dress it up. Even those fancy coffees that are more sugar than anything, the coffee taste is so strong I can't drink them.

But speaking of pickling, I made these for my nephew once. They were a huge hit at his school function, he sold 5 gallons of pickles in 20 minutes at a buck each. I hate them, of course.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5044025_make-koo...ckles.html