Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pickled Brussels Sprouts. No, really!
03-28-2011, 08:11 PM
RE: Pickled Brussels Sprouts. No, really!
(01-27-2011 09:11 AM)Lamb Chop Wrote:  Never heard about pickled brussel sprouts... thank you! I will definitely give that a try, as they do well in my garden every year, after a nice frost nothing better. Seems like they'd marry well in certain martinis too.

Have you tried them in a martini yet? I immediately thought of a nice, cold Bombay Sapphire with one of those brussel sprouts! Now I'm gonna have to do brussel sprouts in the garden this year! Doh!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2011, 03:50 AM
RE: Pickled Brussels Sprouts. No, really!
(03-28-2011 08:11 PM)Spacemanspiff Wrote:  
(01-27-2011 09:11 AM)Lamb Chop Wrote:  Never heard about pickled brussel sprouts... thank you! I will definitely give that a try, as they do well in my garden every year, after a nice frost nothing better. Seems like they'd marry well in certain martinis too.

Have you tried them in a martini yet? I immediately thought of a nice, cold Bombay Sapphire with one of those brussel sprouts! Now I'm gonna have to do brussel sprouts in the garden this year! Doh!
Actually no, I don't care for them, but my wife does. I just thought somehow they would go good with gin? Sorry, if I gave the impression that I liked martini's.

I once asked Mr. Rogers for his autograph
04-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Thumbs Up RE: Pickled Brussels Sprouts. No, really!
(12-02-2010 08:48 PM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  Pssss, buddy….yeah….you……come here…..
You want a recipe for a pickle, a pickle that will completely surprise you? Look great on the relish tray?
And, in all likely hoods, if you like sauerkraut, you will find yourself huddled in a corner, polishing off the entire jar?
Well, try this…
Pickled Brussels Sprouts (No, really, I’m serious!)
6 c (about 2 lbs) Brussels Sprouts
2½ c vinegar
2½ c water
3 T salt
1t cayenne pepper (that provides a little kick, if you are more adventurous add more)
4 dill heads or 2 t dill seeds
4 cloves garlic (but my motto is the more the better)
Leave the sprouts whole, but trim ends and peel off old foliage. Blanch until tender, but not soft. AVOID SOFT! Drain and pack into clean jars. Pack garlic cloves into every other open space in the jar (remember I said the more the better). Insert a dill head into each jar, or ½ t of dill seed.
Mix vinegar, water, salt, and cayenne pepper in a heavy saucepan; boil for 5 minutes.
Pour vinegar mixture over the sprouts, leaving ¼ inch headspace.
Cap, seal and process in a water bath canner for 15 minutes.
My nephews ADORE these, and I give them as presents. And now is the time of year to make them, since Brussels sprouts are readily available. Give it a try!

this is brilliant... i have been looking for ways to exapnd the veggie menu for the family and this sounds like one that will get everyone by surprise and hopefully eating more greens! Super cool - thanks for sharing! Crazy - i was just talking about brussel sprouts last weekend at the grocery! Kismet!!!Big Grin