Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Best Coffees??
12-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Best Coffees??
I didn't see this being brought up and was a bit surprised. If someone has posted about coffee, please point me in the right direction (thread.) My favorite is Duncan Donuts brand. Seattle's Best is awesome too. Starbucks is burnt to me. It tastes like French Roast which (sorry) to me, tastes like dirt. Consumer Reports graded the coffees currently on the market and Duncan's came out on top. I haven't tested too many coffees because, once I find a good one, I stick with it and don't try too many others. I also like Brazilian Blend by Folger's. What coffees do you like?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2010, 11:32 AM
RE: Best Coffees??
Oh dear...Folger's is the "F" word in our house Smile My Brother is a roaster for a company here in WISC. called Berre's Brother's Coffee and one of the perks(no pun intended) is that I can get fresh roasted coffee from him. They do unflavored and flavored varieties and were even on the Food Network TV Show Unwrapped last year.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
12-29-2010, 11:38 AM
(12-29-2010 11:32 AM)2Beers Wrote:  Oh dear...Folger's is the "F" word in our house Smile My Brother is a roaster for a company here in WISC. called Berre's Brother's Coffee and one of the perks(no pun intended) is that I can get fresh roasted coffee from him. They do unflavored and flavored varieties and were even on the Food Network TV Show Unwrapped last year.

You don't know if Berre's Brothers is sold in California do ya? I don't like Folger's either, but this one roast (Brazillian) was actually quite good. The rest of their coffee is very bitter.
12-29-2010, 11:43 AM
K4RM4, they do have a web address and that you can order online and have it shipped to you. http://www.berresbrothers.com

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
12-29-2010, 12:04 PM
I was sorta thinking our resident coffee addict Bagel would weigh in on this coffee schtuff.

We don't even UTTER the F word in our house. Its like fingernails on a chalkboard. Yeah we do Starbucks, Seattles Best, and try a lot of "microbrews" that offer their own versions of nirvana. There aren't too many "specialty" coffee artistos around here, but any time I go up to Wisconsin I like to find those coffee shops that make their own.

Speaking of coffee....I'm out! Must get more.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-29-2010, 12:13 PM
There is a little place in DePere, WI downtown called Luna Cafe.

12-29-2010, 12:31 PM
For making coffee at home, I agree the Dunkin Donuts coffee is very good. Another favorite we used to get was a house brand at the local grocery store called PC which I think stands for President's Choice (hey if the President likes it, it has to be good). It is now no longer carried by that store, the whole PC brand being discontinued, which is what usually happens with something that I like.

For that instant quick cup needed at home, I find that Maxwell House instant is not bad, a minute and a half in the microwave and its done.

I still find coffee at restaurants to always taste better that what I can make at home. I inquired at this one place and they told me their coffee came as a liquid concentrate and they only added hot water. Hmmmm, not sure about that, but it tasted great. The places that are coffee houses (like Starbucks) always seem to serve it too strong and bitter for my tastes.

I also think it makes a big difference in the taste depending on what water you use. I always try to use bottled water to make coffee. I can tell right away if it has been made with the local tap water, the chlorine ruins the taste. The better restaurants filter the water so it doesn't have the chlorine taste, and others, (like our local IHOP) don't.

-Rey

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
12-29-2010, 12:32 PM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2010 12:33 PM by Boomer.)
I have heard of Luna's....just havent made it there. Couple I know do a lot of travelling and they always stop there on their way home from the U.P.

12-29-2010, 01:11 PM
WATER IS VERY IMPORTANT!!! I live near Big Bear, California and we dip into the Arrowhead Spring Aquifer. It's soooooo goood. As someone had mentioned, you can taste the difference right away from tap water. What are people's thoughts on coffee makers and "presses". I had a press but I forced it down too hard and it exploded. Next time, when I get one, I won't be so forceful. Wow, a lot of Folger's haters. I had no idea there was such a Folger's backlash. We have Stater Brothers Supermarkets here. They have an OK house brand. What's A&P and Kroger coffee brands like? We don't have either stores in southern California. We have Stater Bros, Albertson's, Vons, Costco, Sam's Club, Pavilions and Trader Joe's. I like Trader Joe's coffees. They have some weird off-brands that are really quite good (Kenyan Sunrise, Morning Jamaican Blend, etc.) I know pure Jamaicans are quite expensive. We have Ross' and Marshall's and at both I've found pure Jamaican coffee's (not the blends) for about $28.00/pound (8 oz. for 12.99 + tax.) Jamaican is soooooo good but it's not cheap. It's also hard to find sometimes.
12-29-2010, 02:31 PM
I have had Trader Joes - thats some good stuff there. That Jamaican Blend is pretty awesome too, but for some reason spendy blends dont appeal to me. I actually used to drink folgers. When I was 19. I think it was a Seattle coffee shop that spoiled me rotten.

Big Bear. Y'all got a chopper shop up thataway. Thats some awful pwetty country up there too.