Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rice Steamer
12-30-2010, 02:16 PM
Rice Steamer
I have been reading about rice steamers recently, are they any good? Do they improve the taste/texture of rice?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2010, 04:21 PM
RE: Rice Steamer
I got one as a wedding present (kept the steamer, jettisoned the wife - best deal I ever made) and use it all the time.

Mine looks like this:

[Image: 2278954553u_1m?1293050472]

I also use it to steam veggies, potatoes, corn and other stuff.

Wouldn't be without it.

Whether it improves the taste/texture is pretty subjective. All I know is that I put in the water, the rice and SHAZAM it's done.

(OK, so maybe it's not SHAZAM but I think you get the point.)

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
12-30-2010, 10:36 PM
I use mine about 3 times per week and it's one of my favorite kitchen appliances. I've never had burned rice while using it, and it's always just right (providing I follow the correct water/rice ratio). Mine is a Black & Decker

A party without cake is really just a meeting
12-30-2010, 10:38 PM
I need one sooooo badly! I love rice when its properly prepared. Especially my stir fry stuff I love for lunches on weekends. Problem is my daughters like to cook it in the microwave...using the "Minute Lice" and that just makes me shrivel up. Its almost like eating plaster...beady lumpy plaster.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
12-30-2010, 10:40 PM
(12-30-2010 10:38 PM)boomer Wrote:  I need one sooooo badly! I love rice when its properly prepared. Especially my stir fry stuff I love for lunches on weekends. Problem is my daughters like to cook it in the microwave...using the "Minute Lice" and that just makes me shrivel up. Its almost like eating plaster...beady lumpy plaster.

Yeah, that Minute Rice just doesn't hold water compared to real rice!Big Grin

12-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Have to keep this one in mind. My hubby is always looking for something new to get me for the kitchen. I always love talking with my friends. What did you get for Christmas/Birthday/etc? I would ask them. Answer...earrings, ring, necklace. What do I get...panini maker, breadmaker, etc. Big Grin
12-30-2010, 11:13 PM
My husband had entered a phase where he was interested in creating his favorite dishes from various restaurants that we had been to, and one night, he brought home a rice cooker. One of the best purchases that he made (I also enjoyed the fruit smoothie phase because he bought a sturdy, high quality blender).

12-31-2010, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the replies - Well, I think that is going ot be on my Birthday wish list!
01-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Already checking them out on Amazon Smile
01-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Quote:Already checking them out on Amazon

Cheers Matey!Wink