Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rice Steamer
01-02-2011, 10:53 PM
RE: Rice Steamer
(01-02-2011 10:36 PM)boomer Wrote:  Thats why I am curious - if a steamer can take a raw uncooked....say white bean and cook THAT in an hour thats pretty strong, and not sure if thats what Holly means. Maybe it depends on how well you cook your beans I guess. Everything else like stir fry stuff and rice yeah I am good with that, but beans?!?!?

Maybe canned beans would heat through in that time... but they also might explode.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2011, 04:29 AM
Quote:Will we see you in Birmingham? I always thought NWoBHM was "North West of BirmingHaM"!

Hi Brutus - chances are very high for a turnout of me and the girls. If you fancy a small cycle trip South West of Brum to Worcester, there is a lovely 13th Century Coaching Inn near to us - which does a good range in Scotch for weary travellers as it has for 800 years or so - I would be happy to buy you a drink! Smile

PS: I talk to another mutual acquaintance of Bubba`s, about the very same thing! Tongue and we have nearly got him to come and see us a couple of times.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2011, 04:22 PM
I have put all kinds of raw beans and also raw yellow and green green peas in there without presoaking and have not had a problem. They cook straight through. Just make sure there is LOTS of water - like make sure there is at least a couple/few inches of water above the beans and whatever else you put in there. You may have to get in there and stir it a little after half hour or so and to check if you added enough water. My rice cooker will just switch to the "warming" mode when it is done cooking. Usually an hour or 1.5 hours. Very simple!
01-03-2011, 06:38 PM
I didn't think a rice cooker would be capable of cooking raw legumes of any type! It usually takes about 3 hours or so after the beans soak all night long. If its that simple thats my ticket. I just dont have time to chase it sometimes, and with another back procedure looming for my wife this would REALLY solve a lot of my cooking woes in the short term.

Thank you Holly!!!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
01-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Boomer, you may want to Google the issue of cooking beans in a rice cooker. I did, and I came up with all kinds of differing opinions on it. I have never had trouble, but according to some, certain beans are harder to cook in a rice cooker than others. I don't know exactly which beans I have cooked in there - I just throw everything in there and so far so good!

Holly

(01-03-2011 06:38 PM)boomer Wrote:  I didn't think a rice cooker would be capable of cooking raw legumes of any type! It usually takes about 3 hours or so after the beans soak all night long. If its that simple thats my ticket. I just dont have time to chase it sometimes, and with another back procedure looming for my wife this would REALLY solve a lot of my cooking woes in the short term.

Thank you Holly!!!
01-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Any suggestions on a rice cooker? I have found traditional, bamboo, and fuzzy logic rice cookers.
01-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Most of the time, a pinto, a northern white, or maybe even a bowl of black eyed peas is what I enjoy. I have four bags of 15 bean "soup" which is just the mix of 15 different varieties of beans. My problem is no one else in the house really eats beans, but I found that beans and rice are really great, or just the beans themselves, especially after shovelling snow for an hour.

I love the attitude though - just toss everything in and go fer it!

01-04-2011, 12:26 PM
I Googled cookers and recipes. Found a couple of actual cook books just for cooking food in a rice cooker, and both of them had one section specifically devoted to cooking beans of different varieties. Black beans was a big favorite - and found a recipe for "frijoles negros" which is a black bean dish with peppers, onion, and cumin. Seasoned to taste.

But - there are several models of cookers out there....and I stink at picking out appliances.

01-04-2011, 03:58 PM
(01-03-2011 04:29 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  
Quote:Will we see you in Birmingham? I always thought NWoBHM was "North West of BirmingHaM"!

Hi Brutus - chances are very high for a turnout of me and the girls. If you fancy a small cycle trip South West of Brum to Worcester, there is a lovely 13th Century Coaching Inn near to us - which does a good range in Scotch for weary travellers as it has for 800 years or so - I would be happy to buy you a drink! Smile

PS: I talk to another mutual acquaintance of Bubba`s, about the very same thing! Tongue and we have nearly got him to come and see us a couple of times.

Does this 13th century coaching inn have rooms? Only 800 years old? Probably has no lift I'm guessing! Need more intel amigo...

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
01-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Quote:Does this 13th century coaching inn have rooms? Only 800 years old? Probably has no lift I'm guessing! Need more intel amigo...

It does indeed. As well as huge fire places usually burning the odd half an oak tree. Food is good, beer is brewed locally at a micro brewery, the beer is called, "this, that and t`other", the whiskey is all sorts, although I dont recall Macallan - (I can make them make amends!!). There is no lift as you suggest - I am sure some of the gun beaters would give you fire mans lift to bed.

Your are very welcome to visit!!!