Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rice Steamer
01-06-2011, 01:50 PM
RE: Rice Steamer
It was an odd thing - they were on the surface when they did it - apparently loads of islanders woke up to see one of the Royal Navy`s most modern nuclear subs stuck!

Then when a tug pulled it off whatever it was stuck on they did millions (I think) damage to the rudder section. I expect BAE were rubbing their hands with glee!!

They had a load of shots of it on TV - blowing tonnes of smoke through a type of snorkel or exhaust pipe which came out of the conning tower - if I didnt know it was nuclear I would have said the Big End had gone on the crank shaft.

A slight drawback with those islands - Alastair Darling (our former Treasury Minister) has a crofters cottage there.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Hey nobodys perfect. Its a big island. Just steer clear of him.

The snorkel mast - was most likely running an onboard diesel. Sometimes to prevent any kind of reactor damage they will shut the reactor down. Another issue is you do not want a big propeller churning up the mud, because it will cause more problems. The diesel was most likely running for electrical power only.

Actually not surprised to hear it got stuck on the surface. Thats when most groundings occur. If a sub runs aground while submerged, its usually called a sinking not a grounding.

For You Steve & Monica - Your Love will forever shine on in our hearts!!!

[Image: monicasteve.jpg]
01-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Quote:If a sub runs aground while submerged, its usually called a sinking not a grounding.

Or a lost without trace!
01-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Thats true too!

01-06-2011, 03:05 PM
mY mate who was a Navy diver and then SAS bloke told me you could hear the water slooshing and gurgling over the hull and hatchways. That must be very scary indeed.

Did you ever watch Das Boot? A wonderful insight into the U Boats. I read a biography type book on Gunter Prien a U Boat commander - it went into the detail of continual damp and mould on the sailors clothing......not a happy place to be.
01-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Das Boot is one of my all time favorite movies. EVER! That wasnt just a boat, that was a seafarin sailor and a pirate! You had to be HARD core to get on one of those. There is a Uboat on display in Chicago, and after I had served a couple patrols I took another tour on it, and even I was feeling claustrophobic!

01-06-2011, 06:39 PM
So how 'bout them rice cookers Tongue
Find all posts by this user
01-06-2011, 07:23 PM
We musta got off the beaten path huh? Sorry!

01-07-2011, 03:53 AM
Boomer - we needed a Sub Thread..........Get it?????

Funny though how we got lost on this.

Back to Rice Steamers - we have a vegetable steamer - do you reckon that would work? I am give it a go.
01-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Quote:the whiskey is all sorts, although I dont recall Macallan

Was at the Coaching Inn tonight - and it has 10 yeal old Macallan - which I brought for my neighbour.....as well as a lot of other fine single malts....

Gun Beaters were in fine form - end of hunting tomorrow apparently - so they were enjoying themselves.

She looked at me and rolled those big brown eyes and said, "Oh, I would do it all for you, `cos you`re a Rocker"