Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rice Steamer
01-30-2011, 06:06 PM
RE: Rice Steamer
For rice I use my non stick pan with the glass cover. That way I can control the simmer. Double the water to rice after the rice has been rinsed 'till it runs clear. Add a dollop of butter. Bring water to a boil, add the rice, cover and simmer for 16 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. My other method is to throw the rinsed rice into lots of water at a rolling boil. Keep checking the rice until it's the desired firmness and then drain under cool water to stop the cooking. Unlike Bubba, I've never used a rice steamer. I have a small kitchen and with my coffee grinder, coffee dripper, food processor, blender, toaster.....Well I just don't have room for it....not to mention an asparagus steamer, meat slicer etc...However, a good mandolin.....gotta have it.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2011, 04:09 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2011 01:24 PM by NWoBHM.)
RE: Rice Steamer
Quote:Add a dollop of butter

An interesting addition (I always add Olive Oil to pasta when I am cooking it) - well Brutus, I think I am going to give your method a go, as for starters I never bother to rinse the rice, so maybe allowing too much starch through in the process etc.

I am also going to try using our veg steamer and see what happens.

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply