Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Boy Toys and Girl Toys
04-30-2010, 11:19 AM
RE: Boy Toys and Girl Toys
I LOVE my Kitchen-Aid mixer! With all of the different attachments, you wonder what it can't do. I probably use the grinder attachment the most, since I make my own hamburger, it tastes much better than the store bought stuff.
There is also a sausage attachment too, i've been very curious about trying to make them.
Maybe another forum topic- sausagemaking?

Brutus, I know that blender looks VERY COOL, but how much would you use it, really? I don't mean to sound like a downer, but I have so many kitchen gadgets that I don't use, and they sounded like such a good idea at the time....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-2010, 03:54 PM
I think there will always be differences in the Toys (tools) that males and females opt to use in the kitchen but my hunch is that there is LESS difference in the kitchen than in other hobbies. After all, cooking tools have a more absolute value nature than many hobbies that have "male" or "female" tendencies.

But as far as mixers, I am the odd man out in that I often opt to use my arms and a spatula to mix things instead of a mixer. It seems that electric devices remove one from the essence of cooking sometimes. Even with hard to mix things like cheesecake (see my recipe in the Desserts section), I feel that I obtain a better consistency than with an electric mixer. Mind you, I do not mean a more consistent and blended mixture (THAT is obtained with an electric mixer) but rather, a result that just tastes better and feels better in the mouth. As we know, in some recipes, it is possible to overmix...pancakes and biscuits come to mind. There are times and places for various tools but sometimes it is better to rely on the tools that are best: our own muscles. Want proof? Eschew the mixer, grab the whisk, some sugar, some vanilla and whip some heavy cream by hand next time and tell me if it doesn't taste and/or feel better when hand whipped into a delightful whipped cream topping...there is somehing magical about hand-power.
Ok, that is my 2 cents...keep mixing it up, kids! (Pun inteneded!)

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
04-30-2010, 04:45 PM
I can not only vouch for the KA mixer but the grinder and sausage attachments as well. We have made some dynamite sausage over te years and it is much easierr than with a handcrank model.

I would also add that I LOVE the pasta attachments!! They make kneading the dough for ravioli quite easy not to mention cutting for fettuccini or regular spaghetti.

My favorite attachment though is the food mill! I have gone from making an average tomato sauce to an excellent one, no seeds or skin, just pure tomato goodness! I have even run my garlic through getting just the juice. Quite looking forward to making baby food with it this summer too.

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
05-01-2010, 06:59 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2010 07:00 AM by drmdawg13.)
(04-21-2010 01:25 PM)Brutus Wrote:  I mentioned to my wife that I had to get me one o' these and she remarked that only a boy would want one. Got me to thinkin' that it might make for an interesting discussion on the differences between what a girl would want in her culinary tool kit versus that of the boy.

http://www.blenderblaster.com/blenderblaster/

All I can say is, when you have to wear ear pro to make a milk shake you are the master of your domain.
All I can say is, when you have to wear ear pro to make a milk shake you are the master of your domain.
05-01-2010, 09:46 AM
I think the main difference between girl toys and boy toys (kitchenwise) is that women tend to buy things that multi-task, but guys like 'the right tool for the job' type thing. One thing I have noticed, the older you get, male or female, the more kitchen gadgets you own. My Dad (60) owns an ultimate breadmaker, a countertop oven thingy, several Foremans, and just bought a pizza oven. I said "You already have a pizza oven. It's called an oven." He looked at me like I was crazy and loudly proclaimed that he could never imagine cooking pizza in an ordinary oven again. Too many infomercials, Pops.
05-06-2010, 08:51 PM
"Oh my", I reply while blushing.... I thought this thread was about something else ..... My husband does most of the cooking, so he's my "Girl Toy." HA ! Seriously though....my "Tool" bought ME the Super Duper KA Mixer a few Christmases ago and I've used it once, failing miserably on puffed pastries. However, he upstages me regularly by making the BEST pizza dough I've ever tasted and the best bubbly ciabatta bread EVER !!
05-17-2010, 08:03 AM
I have a mixer that I used once. I think it's a Hamilton Beach, it has to be at least 20 years old. I just do all my mixing the old fashioned way...by hand. It should make a resurrection soon as my daughter will be in culinary school and she will need it for pastries.
05-23-2010, 01:07 AM
boys would want the mirror, girls would paint it ghoul.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-18-2010, 02:13 PM
I should mention that my Dad also has quite possibly the BEST shake maker ever. He - ahem - borrowed it from the restaurant where he worked when he was 18 years old. He is now 60, and this thing cranks out shakes like it was brand new. I think the sin of stealing the thing has been erased by all the joy his shakes have brought to his children and grandchildren, and a host of other kids. He always has shake fixin's on hand and will whip you up whatever you want. In fact, his first great-grandchild just had a 'taste' of shake the other day. All is absolved.
10-09-2010, 10:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/9thWardJukeb...7PCXxKXia0
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user