Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Cooking Light
01-03-2011, 10:16 PM
RE: Cooking Light
I have to give up the propel. It's only 10 calories but it's loaded with sodium. Crystal light is my next choice. I like propel lemon water, but not a fan of lemonaid. To much acid.

Don't talk smack about Total!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2011, 11:53 PM
How about good old water with slice of lemon? Smile
01-04-2011, 08:11 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2011 08:30 AM by 2Beers.)
For recipes that call for eggs....

You can replace 2 egg whites for 1 egg
When I've had recipes for 4 eggs I'll use 1 whole egg and 6 whites. Or 2 eggs and 4 whites.

I've also done when you use box mix of cake or brownies to replace the oil with plain unsweetened applesauce and add 1 to 2 TBSP. extra of flour, plus replacing the eggs for egg whites.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
01-04-2011, 08:21 AM
(01-03-2011 11:53 PM)RN-PRN Wrote:  How about good old water with slice of lemon? Smile

Good idea. Another thing I used to do is get one of those bottles of the concentrated lemon juice. Put just a smidgeon of that at the bottom of your glass and add fresh cold water. Pretty much calorie free and not too bad once you get used to it without all the sweetness. But like someone mentioned, there is still some citric acid. Its pretty diluted but not sure how it could effect the teeth long term.

When eating light, iced tea is one of the best freebie drinks out there. But of course I mean without the sweetened part. I have always preferred it unsweetened, find it very refreshing, and usually at restaurants that is the way it comes. But forget it at the grocery store, it seems like they all come sweetened. I found some marked diet, and thought that must be it, but no it still came with artificial sweeteners. So I mix it myself from the powder to get it unsweetened at home.

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
01-04-2011, 12:58 PM
For fresh iced tea at home, make strong black tea (lipton actually makes an iced tea sized bag...don't care much for lipton but it will do in a pinch for iced tea). Pour over a glass of ice and add a slice of lemon.

I don't care much for the concentrated lemon juice. It has a different flavor than fresh. I always keep a lemon or two on hand for drinks, cooking, etc.
01-08-2011, 05:29 PM
I found Nestea unsweetened tea at the grocery store, so I've been using that(full caffeine!)

01-09-2011, 01:45 PM
How's the 30 pound challange coming? I'm down a big 3 pounds. And I'm frustrated because I've been working pretty hard. I want everything yesterday in regards dieting. And I hate the fact that it's coming off this slow because I must beat Boomski. So I started a new plan today, a secret weapon. I'm gonna be down 40lbs by MSG guarenteed!
I'm drinking the Perrier water instead of propel or soda.

Don't talk smack about Total!!
01-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Hey, 3 pounds down is a good thing! Congratulations!
I've been working on losing weight since April and I'm finally about 2 pounds shy of the 30 pound mark. Much slower than I had hoped, but a loss is a loss.

Keep up the good work NBC!

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm down 3 lbs also.
Remember, safe weight loss is 1 to 2 pounds a week, so we're doing ok.
However, giving up soda is probably going to help you lose more than a pound a week. Good luck with that. It's something I can't seem to do yet.

01-09-2011, 01:59 PM
I have diet soda, that I drink occasionally as a treat, in the evening. The hardest things for me to cut back on are the starches and sugar, and I have to make a conscious effort to get enough produce into my meals.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user