Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Birthday Cake
04-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Birthday Cake
It's my wife's birthday on Saturday and I'd like to bake her a cake. This would be a first for me but I think it's about time. She's partial to creamy and custardy stuff. She likes fritteroles for example. And Boston Cream Pies...you know what I mean. Don't make it too too difficult please. I'm thinking maybe a layered cake with custard in between and a whipped cream icing...or not.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2010, 03:06 PM
RE: Birthday Cake
Two thumbs up for the whipped cream icing.
04-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Regardless of the recipe I have some advice. A propane or charcoal grill is not the way to bake it. Believe it or not, I tried it once. An extremely stupid experiment to say the least. Although it does work well with frozen pies?
04-22-2010, 12:24 PM
I have a Creme de Cacao Torte recipe that is delish!! Not that difficult. Interested?
04-22-2010, 01:24 PM
(04-22-2010 12:24 PM)RN-PRN Wrote:  I have a Creme de Cacao Torte recipe that is delish!! Not that difficult. Interested?
Sure am. Bring it!

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
04-22-2010, 05:54 PM
One thing I can tell you for sure is to make sure your cakes are thoroughly cooled before frosting. Good on ya for givin' it a go. My wife loves it when I try to surprise her with something I've made.
04-23-2010, 06:27 AM
Sorry I couldn't get back to you yesterday. Exhaustion took over...worked 12 hour midnights on wed. night and slept 2 hours out of 36. Smile

Creme de Cacao Torte

2/3 C butter
1 2/3 C sugar
3 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 C unsifted all-purpose flour
2/3 C unsweetened cocoa
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/3 C milk
2 Tbsp creme de cacao

Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder. Add alternately with milk to creamed mixture, blending until just combined.
Pour into 2 greased/floured 9-inch layer pans. Bake 350 degrees for 30-35 min. or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans. Sprinkle each layer with 1 Tbsp creme de cacao. Cool completely.

Filling
1 C heavy or whipping cream
2 Tbsp creme de cacao
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa

Beat until stiff, cover and chill

Split each layer horizontally into 2 layers. Place one layer on serving plate; spread with 1/3 of filling. Repeat with remaining layers; ending with cake layer. Cover tightly; chill at least 8 hours.

Chocolate Ganache Glaze
8 ounces dark chocolate (candy) bar (any brand you like- Hershey's, Ghirardelli, etc.), broken into pieces
1/4 C heavy or whipping cream
1 Tbsp butter
1 1/ tsp creme de cacao

Combine chocolate, cream and butter in medium saucepan. Cook over low hear, stirring constantly, until mixture is melted and smooth. Stir in creme de cacao. Cool to lukewarm (will be slightly thickened).

Spoon over top of chilled cake, allowing to drizzle down sides. Chill. Just before serving, garnish with chocolate leaves or however you would like.

Enjoy!
04-23-2010, 11:09 AM
(04-23-2010 06:27 AM)RN-PRN Wrote:  Sorry I couldn't get back to you yesterday. Exhaustion took over...worked 12 hour midnights on wed. night and slept 2 hours out of 36. Smile

Creme de Cacao Torte

2/3 C butter
1 2/3 C sugar
3 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 C unsifted all-purpose flour
2/3 C unsweetened cocoa
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/3 C milk
2 Tbsp creme de cacao

Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder. Add alternately with milk to creamed mixture, blending until just combined.
Pour into 2 greased/floured 9-inch layer pans. Bake 350 degrees for 30-35 min. or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans. Sprinkle each layer with 1 Tbsp creme de cacao. Cool completely.

Filling
1 C heavy or whipping cream
2 Tbsp creme de cacao
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa

Beat until stiff, cover and chill

Split each layer horizontally into 2 layers. Place one layer on serving plate; spread with 1/3 of filling. Repeat with remaining layers; ending with cake layer. Cover tightly; chill at least 8 hours.

Chocolate Ganache Glaze
8 ounces dark chocolate (candy) bar (any brand you like- Hershey's, Ghirardelli, etc.), broken into pieces
1/4 C heavy or whipping cream
1 Tbsp butter
1 1/ tsp creme de cacao

Combine chocolate, cream and butter in medium saucepan. Cook over low hear, stirring constantly, until mixture is melted and smooth. Stir in creme de cacao. Cool to lukewarm (will be slightly thickened).

Spoon over top of chilled cake, allowing to drizzle down sides. Chill. Just before serving, garnish with chocolate leaves or however you would like.

Enjoy!
This would be my first attempt to bake anything. Do you think I'm ready for this or is it something I need to grow into. I really appreciate you taking the time though. Oh what the heck...I'll go for it!

04-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Looks pretty easy, Brutus. You can do it!

Pictures, please, and Happy Birthday to your wife!
04-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Actually it is easy! It was one of my first attempts at cakes and it tastes great to boot!

Pics please and Happy Birthday to your wife!!