Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Birthday Cake
04-23-2010, 01:44 PM
RE: Birthday Cake
(04-23-2010 12:43 PM)RN-PRN Wrote:  Actually it is easy! It was one of my first attempts at cakes and it tastes great to boot!

Pics please and Happy Birthday to your wife!!

Thanks for sharing your recipe! I'll be trying it soon. So many good recipes posted already, it's hard to decide which to try first.

Don't you just love ganache? It's so simple, and looks so elegant. I like to spread it out on an upside down cookie sheet, then scrape it off in curls or flakes for decorating. It's easy to sculpt flowers this way, too.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2010, 07:17 PM
So Brutus, did you attempt the cake?
04-26-2010, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2010 07:30 PM by ePhilosopher9.)
(04-21-2010 02:57 PM)Brutus Wrote:  It's my wife's birthday on Saturday and I'd like to bake her a cake. This would be a first for me but I think it's about time. She's partial to creamy and custardy stuff. She likes fritteroles for example. And Boston Cream Pies...you know what I mean. Don't make it too too difficult please. I'm thinking maybe a layered cake with custard in between and a whipped cream icing...or not.

May I suggest a Doberge Cake?

(is copying and pasting allowed in here?)
description
Adapted from a 17th century creation, these scrumptious cakes are hand crafted from six delicate layers of old-fashioned butter cake, each layer baked individually, filled with a special recipe of creamy, rich, cooked custard and finished with homemade icing. These uniquely elegant doberge cakes are available in Chocolate, Lemon, Caramel or Half & Half of any of the four flavors (now available in Strawberry). This is the perfect solution for party guests with different tastes or even a hostess that just can’t decide!

[Image: popup_image.php?pID=70]

Happy Birthday!
[Image: product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=70]

pardon me, trying to get the image...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-27-2010, 09:45 AM
(04-26-2010 07:17 PM)RN-PRN Wrote:  So Brutus, did you attempt the cake?

We ended up spending the day with my son so the cake is on hold. I told my wife about your recipe and she's given me a rain check. Maybe this coming weekend I'll give it a try.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
04-27-2010, 11:45 AM
a simple tip for the 1st time cake baker is when you add the flour put it in a sieve and give it a good few inches above the bowl as you shake it in, this lets the air get in and makes it lighter, depending on the cake obviously, great for light sponge based cakes especially
04-28-2010, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2010 09:33 AM by AmyBrink.)
Brutus, Make sure you cut parchment paper to place in the bottom of the cake pans. This will keep the cake from sticking when you remove it from the pans.

A really easy and beautiful cake option would be to layer the first layer of a simple yellow cake topped with a layer of vanilla pudding then a layer of fresh sliced strawberries. Top the berries with the other layer of yellow cake and frost all with a whipped cream frosting. Top with strawberry halves.

I'm sure your wife will appreciate the effort regardless of what cake you tackle.

When life hands you lemons throw them back and demand chocolate!
06-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Entenmans! Sarah Lee even better! Never mind....Carvel, now we're talking!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-18-2011, 09:21 AM
(06-17-2011 12:26 PM)VincentUlyssis Wrote:  Entenmans! Sarah Lee even better! Never mind....Carvel, now we're talking!

Oh man...Its been nearly 20 years since I had a Carvel's Ice Cream cake. They're the best. I can't get them here in Iowa, only a Blizzard cake.Sad

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.