Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Superbowl Party
01-24-2011, 07:40 AM
RE: Superbowl Party
Not selfish at all - some folks just don't care for sports. Thats ok - as I recall there is another in our midst who is the same way. I enjoy sports, but I dont let it control my every human interaction and emotion. In all honesty - I hardly get a chance to enjoy much of any tv so when I get a chance to watch a football game its rare. I'd much rather be riding my Harley or studying history or even just wrapped up in a good book, but my schedule does not always permit that. While I enjoy watching an occassional game I am not obsessive about it.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-24-2011, 08:57 AM
(01-24-2011 01:08 AM)Laffitupfzbl Wrote:  Is it selfish of me to say that I am thrilled the Bears lost so I don't have to watch any more football? I cannot stand sports. Thought that by getting with a creative musician type I was leaving the sports arena behind. Total shocker came after I was already deeply in love that he is a 'trifecta' guy - basketball, football, AND baseball. He HAS to watch every Illini basketball game, most Bears games, and we do catch Cardinals games on a regular basis.

I was totally scarred on sports by my ex who spent hours every night on his football obsession. It's not that bad here, but I still get highly irritated with the whole sports scene. I guess I don't understand any hobby that takes up that much of a person's time and energy. I also don't like having my schedule dictated to me - we can't do ANYTHING on Sunday at noon because of "X" game being on - MAN I hate hearing that...

Hear, hear! I’m with you Fuzzball, I don’t like to watch sports at all. I remember when I met my significant other*, and I told her I didn’t like to watch sports on TV, she had tears of joy in her eyes. We went to the theater yesterday to see a movie while the “big game” was on, and I expected it to be empty, but what do you know it was quite crowded, with lots of people (men and women), who did not want to watch the game either. So, everybody is not the same, you are not alone.

Even Bubba, our great founder, wrote in 2005: “For me, nearly all games are fun to play, but hardly ever fun to watch. But that’s just me.”

But this is the Superbowl Party thread, and I don’t mean to bring it down, it’s a party that’s supposed to be fun for everyone, so kudos to Brutus for providing “an extra room for those not gridironly inclined” as he mentioned in his post.

-Rey

*whatever?

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
Find all posts by this user
01-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Well then I guess it's safe for me to admit that I'm not a huge sports fan either, and neither is my spouse. If our University's team is playing, we'll keep track of the score on the internet or maybe watch it on TV, if they're doing well. I actually enjoy being in the audience, watching the game live than watching it on tv.

Years ago, we actually hosted a Superbowl party (watching mostly for the great commercials). There were at least 2 husbands there who were really into the game and seemed a bit irritated that the rest of us were talking and visiting during the game. We never hosted that kind of a party again.

However, if I were to host a Superbowl party or go to one, I could probably bring meatball slider sandwiches. Those are really good!

A party without cake is really just a meeting
01-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Its too bad that some folks can't just chill and enjoy the company. Any more we just pull up a chair, with our plate of whatever, and watch, but company demands a different set of protocols, and to be honest, I'd rather have the company over to enjoy the day.

01-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Same, same here. We will watch some Hockey Games on the tele, or my Hubby likes to go with my cousin to watch live World Of Outlaw sprint car races when they come to the area. Otherwise we are happy spend time with company and visit.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
01-25-2011, 07:56 PM
BAHHHHH SAY Huh? Someone else is into WoO? We have YET to go to Knoxville, but I think this year if we can get Mrs. B's back worked out - she might be stomping her foot down for a spot in the stands! Unfortunately thats the only real WoO event in this state - note sure where the other tracks are in WI.....

I smell....I smell......???? Racecar?

01-25-2011, 08:28 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2011 08:35 PM by 2Beers.)
OK!! Just kicked Mrs. 2B out of the chair and now Mr. 2Beers has the Conn.....

I love the smell of Methanol...Smells like victory!!!

I have been a racing fan since I was a kid. Especially the local short tracks. Watched the greats like Ted Musgrave, Dick Trickle, Joe Sheer, Alan Kulwicki, and some brat named Kenseth work up through the ranks. Even tried my hand at it but the guy I was working with had his view of racing and I had mine. They did not match.

Always wanted to go to Knoxville but things (money, time) never worked out. Mrs. 2Beers' Cousin wants to go so maybe this will be the year.

Any car that has as almost as much horsepower as it weighs has got to be cool!!!
The WoO usually stops at the track in Beaver Dam WI and I think they still show up at Wilmot near the WI and IL boarder.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
01-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Dick Trickle? You're serious? I hesitate to quote your, "Smells like victory!!!"

But 2Beers, I thought you might like to hook up with this dude.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/prof...74&sk=wall

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
01-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Brutus,
Why what ever do you mean?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Trickle

Yes, very serious. There was some NASCAR races he was in were the in car camera showed him having a "red apple" break while they were on a caution lap.

In WISC racing he is legend.

01-26-2011, 07:35 AM
I remember those in car shots....hey smoke em if ya got em right? He was such a funny character in and out of the car, but then some idiot as ESPN started poking fun at him, and it kinda got out of control.

He sure could drive those late models though.

I been around racing since I was 5 years old. just a fan never did much on a car, although my uncle did try running a bomber stock in Michigan when I was 10. Went to see him for one race, and during the sprint car feature in those days the sprints ran a gas tank not a fuel cell, and coming off Turn 4 my uncles neighbor hit the wall ruptured the gas tank and it spilled all that racing alcohol all over him. Burned him alive right in front of us all. After that my dad never took us to another race, but we sure watched em on tv. Mrs B and I are "talking" about making a run to Charlotte in May. Right now its talking. Not sure yet though. Lots of logistics to work out.