Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Interesting Old Recipe
01-30-2011, 10:59 AM
RE: Interesting Old Recipe
Good work, HardwareGirl. I think you’ve got it.

I tried looking for Pf and didn’t come up with much. I did find the word “Pfiif”, which is German for “whistle” and is a measurement for a small quantity of beer in Austria. It is traditionally 1/2 of a “seidel” which would be about 5.99 US fluid ounces.

But I didn’t think that was it, and I think you are right. It is a Pfund, a pound.

Now on to the next one, the Crm. I was looking closer at the photo, and on the C notice that little mark on the bottom right? I have the original photo here, which is at a higher resolution than the one posted, and zoomed in on that mark. It isn’t a piece of dirt, it is part of the letter, it is imprinted in the iron.

Maybe this is an old German way of writing the letter G ?

If that is the case, and I’m guessing here, it could really be GRM and maybe stand for grams?

-Rey

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2011, 11:27 AM
One thing I saw when I looked this all up is they used a lot of grains in their cooking....so that may help in the search. Maybe.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-30-2011, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2011 08:07 PM by HardwareGrl.)
(01-30-2011 11:27 AM)boomer Wrote:  One thing I saw when I looked this all up is they used a lot of grains in their cooking....so that may help in the search. Maybe.

GRAINS!
Boomer, you're brilliant, I bet thats it!

UPDATE-
The german word for Grains is Gran!

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
01-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Well whatdya know.....lightning DOES strike twice!

HA!

01-30-2011, 09:21 PM
So who's going to be "game" and whip up a batch and taste test??? Smile

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
01-30-2011, 09:37 PM
(01-30-2011 09:21 PM)2Beers Wrote:  So who's going to be "game" and whip up a batch and taste test??? Smile

I would like to make some, but I'm not so sure about the grains thing yet. There is still the "m" letter, which doesn't fit in with grains. If it were Gr without the m then maybe. All the other measurements have been metric, even the Pfund is a metric measurement that is approx 1 pound (1 Pfund = 500 grams). So I'm still thinking it is grams, unless I get outvoted?

20 grams = .70 of an ounce
20 grains = 1.29 grams (this is not very much at all)

-Rey

01-30-2011, 11:36 PM
(01-30-2011 09:37 PM)Rey Wrote:  
(01-30-2011 09:21 PM)2Beers Wrote:  So who's going to be "game" and whip up a batch and taste test??? Smile

I would like to make some, but I'm not so sure about the grains thing yet. There is still the "m" letter, which doesn't fit in with grains. If it were Gr without the m then maybe. All the other measurements have been metric, even the Pfund is a metric measurement that is approx 1 pound (1 Pfund = 500 grams). So I'm still thinking it is grams, unless I get outvoted?

20 grams = .70 of an ounce
20 grains = 1.29 grams (this is not very much at all)

-Rey

Okay, color me a dork, why was I thinking it was a n?
I think you are right about the grams Rey.
The german word for grams is grampositiv.
And following the 20 grams=.70 oz, and a single envelope of yeast is .75 oz, I think you hit the answer.

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
01-31-2011, 10:34 PM
Okay, if these quantities are in agreement, I can go ahead and make up a batch, I think it would be fun. But, this is going to be a huge portion, so I am going to wait until next week when I can cook for some more people I will be visiting with. So stay tuned.

-Rey

02-01-2011, 06:58 AM
Just remember no lite or low-fat items Smile back then it was whole milk with the cream straight from Bossie.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
02-01-2011, 08:16 AM
i think my arteries are tense just thinking about that!