Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Off to Grandma's
02-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Off to Grandma's
Some of my youths fondest memories was going to Grandma's house. Before I could see over the porch railing, till I towered over it. I remember the the sights, sounds and aroma's coming from my grandparents house. Past the heavy back door into the long dim hallway lit by a lonely pull chain bulb hanging down from the ceiling, at the cross way of my great grandmas apartment to my grandparents. My Grandfather had a bait shop for 70 years down the steep steps into the cellar where the shiners and chubs danced in old wooden troughs. With the old world cooking and the aroma of the bait shop and that special smell only grandparents seem to emit, it was a wonderful atmosphere. My Great Grandmother knew very little English but her sweet bread said it all, love. The best time was the holiday's when the pots and pans came to life. I especially liked the sweet bread, something I will forever miss as it just can't be copied, not exactly. I can make it... however it's just not the same, her love is missing. At any rate here are 2 differnt recipes...

HOLIDAY YEAST CAKE

Šventinis pyragas

1 k (2 lbs) flour

1/2 cup milk

4 teaspoons fresh yeast

2 teaspoons salt

4 tablespoons sugar

6 tablespoons butter

3 eggs; 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Dissolve yeast in sweetened, warm milk, sift in half of the flour, mix well. Sprinkle top of batter with flour and let rest in warm spot for 2-3 hours, until batter has doubled. Add remaining flour, salt and egg yolks beaten with sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Beat egg whites and fold into dough. Add melted butter and knead dough until it is no longer sticky. Cover and set in warm spot for another rising. Place dough into a round, greased baking pan, let rise one more time. Brush top with egg wash and bake in preheated oven at 375F/190C, for about 1 hour.

spot for 2-3 hours, until batter has doubled. Add remaining flour, salt and egg yolks beaten with sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Beat egg whites and fold into dough. Add melted butter and knead dough until it is no longer sticky. Cover and set in warm spot for another rising. Place dough into a round, greased baking pan, let rise one more time. Brush top with egg wash and bake in preheated oven at 375F/190C, for about 1 hour.

I have 4 happy Road Island Red chickens that have been laying 2 dozen eggs a week, so 15 egg yolks no problem. LOL

HOLIDAY BABA
Šventinė boba
15 egg yolks; 1 cup sugar; 2 cups milk
100 g (6 tablespoons) fresh yeast
1 cup butter; 1 cup sour cream
1 cup raisins; 5 cups flour
2 teaspoons vanilla extract; salt
ICING
3 egg whites; 3 cups powdered sugar
juice of 1 lemon; 1 cup butter
1/2 cup chocolate; 1 cup ground filberts
Blend yeast with 1/4 cup sugar and dissolve in warm milk. Add 1 cup flour, beat well and let rest in warm spot for about 30-45 minutes. Beat egg yolks with remaining sugar until yolks are pale yellow. Add remaining flour to eggs and yeast mixture, mix well. Add melted, chilled butter, raisins, sour cream and pinch of salt, blend all until a soft dough is formed. Cover dough and let rise for 1-2 hours. Beat dough again and set in warm spot for another rising. Grease a high sided cake pan, sprinkle with bread crumbs, place dough into baking pan, not more than 1/3 full. Let rise and when doubled bake in preheated oven at 375F/190C, about 1 hour.
To make white icing cream egg whites with powdered sugar and lemon juice. For chocolate icing melt butter, add chocolate and heat on low heat until chocolate melts.
When baba is done, let cool in baking pan. Remove from pan and decorate with white icing, then dribble slightly cooled chocolate on top of white icing, allow chocolate to run down sides. Sprinkle chopped nuts on top.

Have fun

I once asked Mr. Rogers for his autograph
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply