Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bread Sauce.
02-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Bread Sauce.
OK - I know most people at the Grill will know how to make "real" bread sauce - but until recently, (and I do consider myself an OK cook), I was not one of them. For me Bread Sauce, (actually any sauce, onion, parsley etc) was made by adding milk to a Schwartz mix - always a good result, but not quite the real thing.

I remember as a boy at home and at my Grandmothers seeing the pan with milk infusing with an onion with whole cloves jammed into it - a little like a Sea Mine - in preparation for the sauce.

Recently - I have been reminded that good food as well about being about taste, is about making the most of the limited resources we have, and what better way with bread sauce, of using up the gone past best bread in the house on a Sunday, (as was Bread Pudding).

So anyway - Milk in pan, peel an onion, stick loads of cloves into it, (so it looks like a Sea Mine), add a few whole pepper corns, warm the milk and let it simmer, and let the cloves and pepper infuse the milk for a while. Remove the cloves from the onion, (a choice here to leave the onion in the sauce, or as my Grandmother and Mother used to do, transplant it to make the gravy), add a knob of butter, break in some bread and heat until the sauce thickens - and serve.

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2011, 02:24 PM
RE: Bread Sauce.
I've never heard of bread sauce. When would you eat this, and with what else?

Find all posts by this user
02-13-2011, 03:01 PM
(02-13-2011 02:24 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  I've never heard of bread sauce. When would you eat this, and with what else?

Hi Nettie,

It is one of my favourites, pretty much always served (well at least over here) with Roast Chicken or Turkey, and especially at Christmas.

I suppose, like stuffing, it was a way of using up ingredients which were going past their best etc, but had the advantage of making a meal go further.

It is lovely - give it a go next time you have Chicken.

02-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Its a bit like a cross between gravy and like a cheese fondue sauce. Same principle, but yummy as heck! I had it a number of times while in Edinburgh, and I didnt know what it was until one of the locals sitting next to me dug in, and it didnt take me long to learn. Many Europeans enjoy just a loaf of bread and a similar type of sauce and they can make a meal out of just that.

Trust me....its very good. There are several variations on it as I recall, and yours included onions. In my book the onion alone is a food group! I suggest trying it with a small slice or two of french bread or italian bread. Especially on a colder day this will warm you up!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
02-13-2011, 03:41 PM
(02-13-2011 03:36 PM)boomer Wrote:  Its a bit like a cross between gravy and like a cheese fondue sauce. Same principle, but yummy as heck! I had it a number of times while in Edinburgh, and I didnt know what it was until one of the locals sitting next to me dug in, and it didnt take me long to learn. Many Europeans enjoy just a loaf of bread and a similar type of sauce and they can make a meal out of just that.

Trust me....its very good. There are several variations on it as I recall, and yours included onions. In my book the onion alone is a food group! I suggest trying it with a small slice or two of french bread or italian bread. Especially on a colder day this will warm you up!

It certainly is great tasting - looks a little like horseradish (beware) as at a restaurant one Christmas what I thought was bread sauce was horseradish - by the time I realised I had drowned my plate with it!

02-13-2011, 03:46 PM
OUCHY....all that horsey sauce on a plate!

I remember a couple of the Bed & Breakfast spots I went to had this sauce in a cup with a couple slices of bread. There was one feller though - thought it needed a bit more zest so he dropped some dark beer in it. Tasted ok but I sure had gas the next day!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
02-13-2011, 04:15 PM
ah, it sounds wonderful, but I have a milk allergy.
Thanks for the information.

02-13-2011, 04:34 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2011 05:29 PM by NWoBHM.)
(02-13-2011 04:15 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  ah, it sounds wonderful, but I have a milk allergy.
Thanks for the information.

My youngest daughter (Olivia) was allergic to milk - it went undiagnosed for her first 9 months - she screamed and screamed all that time, terrible skin problems, and only slept when she was too exhausted to be kept awake by the stomach pains - we had no idea and kept up the routine of feeding milk - the Doctors no help at all. Only a nurse on a routine check up said, "that is not normal -have you tried soya milk?" We did and within a few days her skin was cleaning up and she was sleeping - and we moved back from the brink of total nervous and exhaustive breakdown.

She has grown out of her intolerence and drinks milk like no tomorrow nowadays.

I sympathise!Sad

03-13-2011, 03:38 PM
KEWL!!! Me LOVE Bread Sauce!!!

I haven't stumbled upon anyone else that seemed to know about it or has tried it.

It was tradition in my family to have Bread Sauce with Turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. My step father was British and it was passed down in his family. Nobody else but my step father and I liked the bread sauce... so I'd have to say it's probably an acquired taste.

P.S. > Soya milk ROCKS, especially in the Chocolate or Vanilla flavour! Great source of protein.

FAITH is fear and doubt standing in HOPE. Angel
03-13-2011, 04:15 PM
I love it with chicken Kiev - my misses says I have no taste, but it works for me!!

Funny - I assumed that everyone had bread sauce every week, (like most Brits do), but live and learn.