Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Meat alternatives
03-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Meat alternatives
I am a confirmed carnivore, but I know I need to reform my ways.
I know I eat WAY TO MUCH animal protein.
So, I have a question for my vegetarian and Vegan friends.
Which “protein substutes” have you tried, and which do you like?

And I warn you right now, if you say “Tofu”?
I will stop reading.
Tried it, hated it, moving on! Tongue

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2011, 09:26 PM
RE: Meat alternatives
ToeFumungus!

Mmmmmmm.....tastes like chicken.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2011, 09:27 PM
(03-09-2011 09:22 PM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  I am a confirmed carnivore, but I know I need to reform my ways.
I know I eat WAY TO MUCH animal protein.
So, I have a question for my vegetarian and Vegan friends.
Which “protein substutes” have you tried, and which do you like?

And I warn you right now, if you say “Tofu”?
I will stop reading.
Tried it, hated it, moving on! Tongue

I'm not vegan, but it's lent. So red beans and rice, or roasted soy butter(as a peanut butter substitute) are two things I'll eat that are vegetarian.
And I know tofu, yuck. However, mashed up and mixed with a little mustard and mayo, it makes a nice egg salad substitute.

03-09-2011, 09:49 PM
I use the Morningstar Farms meat substitutes. There's another brand that I've been trying out called "Gardein" (I think that's the name), and also another brand that seems to work for us, (though spendier) is Quorn.

TOFU!!!!!!

A party without cake is really just a meeting
03-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Maybe grab a big ol' brick o dat Tillamook, and make yerself a grilled cheese samich!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
03-10-2011, 09:01 AM
There you go! Tillamook grilled cheese, with a hint of sharp cheddar in there and a slice of tomato (which is how my grandma made it)

A party without cake is really just a meeting
03-10-2011, 10:24 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2011 10:52 AM by HardwareGrl.)
(03-10-2011 07:16 AM)boomer Wrote:  Maybe grab a big ol' brick o dat Tillamook, and make yerself a grilled cheese samich!

No reply, simply sitting here laughing.......Big Grin
Oh, and some 'mater soup!

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
03-10-2011, 10:28 AM
(03-09-2011 09:27 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  I'm not vegan, but it's lent. So red beans and rice, or roasted soy butter(as a peanut butter substitute) are two things I'll eat that are vegetarian.
And I know tofu, yuck. However, mashed up and mixed with a little mustard and mayo, it makes a nice egg salad substitute.

Oh its lent again, I almost forgot. Doesn't that make fish not a meat? I forget how all that works, I mean it seems pretty meaty to me, but I guess its not considered a meat. Yesterday, on Ash Wednesday, I had Cream of Wheat for breakfast, and egg sandwich for lunch, and blueberry pancakes for dinner. Is eggs okay? It seems a lot less meaty than fish anyway. But really, it was a coincidence, I'm not very religious, and don't really follow all those rules. But you never know, there may be a place in Heaven for me after all, at least until Friday comes.

Time for McDonalds to ramp up those double fish filet commercials.

-Rey

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
03-10-2011, 09:32 PM
(03-10-2011 10:28 AM)Rey Wrote:  
(03-09-2011 09:27 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  I'm not vegan, but it's lent. So red beans and rice, or roasted soy butter(as a peanut butter substitute) are two things I'll eat that are vegetarian.

Oh its lent again, I almost forgot. Doesn't that make fish not a meat? I forget how all that works, I mean it seems pretty meaty to me, but I guess its not considered a meat. Yesterday, on Ash Wednesday, I had Cream of Wheat for breakfast, and egg sandwich for lunch, and blueberry pancakes for dinner. Is eggs okay? It seems a lot less meaty than fish anyway. But really, it was a coincidence, I'm not very religious, and don't really follow all those rules. But you never know, there may be a place in Heaven for me after all, at least until Friday comes.

Time for McDonalds to ramp up those double fish filet commercials.

-Rey

Depending on your church, eggs, dairy, and seafood are ok. For Catholics, they are ok, and most christian churches.. as far as I know.
Some Orthodox christians don't eat any "animal" products during Lent, except fish. Some don't even do that, and are totally vegan. Does that help?

03-11-2011, 02:05 PM
(03-10-2011 09:32 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  I'm not vegan, but it's lent. So red beans and rice, or roasted soy butter(as a peanut butter substitute) are two things I'll eat that are vegetarian.

Depending on your church, eggs, dairy, and seafood are ok. For Catholics, they are ok, and most christian churches.. as far as I know.
Some Orthodox christians don't eat any "animal" products during Lent, except fish. Some don't even do that, and are totally vegan. Does that help?

Sure! It’s interesting to learn how that works exactly, it describes the culture of a lot of people. Although I still wonder about the seafood. What do you know, on Wednesday I was in full compliance. So far so good today, I had Apple Cream of Wheat for breakfast, and a baked potato for lunch. But I feel I will be doomed later, as there is a Gino’s East sausage pizza in the fridge calling my name. I can learn to resist, anything but…sausage pizza.

You said earlier that you had a peanut butter substitute, is peanut butter verboten too?

-Rey

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..