Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Meat alternatives
03-11-2011, 05:26 PM
RE: Meat alternatives
(03-11-2011 02:05 PM)Rey Wrote:  
(03-10-2011 09:32 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  I'm not vegan, but it's lent. So red beans and rice, or roasted soy butter(as a peanut butter substitute) are two things I'll eat that are vegetarian.

Depending on your church, eggs, dairy, and seafood are ok. For Catholics, they are ok, and most christian churches.. as far as I know.
Some Orthodox christians don't eat any "animal" products during Lent, except fish. Some don't even do that, and are totally vegan. Does that help?

Sure! It’s interesting to learn how that works exactly, it describes the culture of a lot of people. Although I still wonder about the seafood. What do you know, on Wednesday I was in full compliance. So far so good today, I had Apple Cream of Wheat for breakfast, and a baked potato for lunch. But I feel I will be doomed later, as there is a Gino’s East sausage pizza in the fridge calling my name. I can learn to resist, anything but…sausage pizza.

You said earlier that you had a peanut butter substitute, is peanut butter verboten too?

-Rey

Peanut butter is allowed, but I'm allergic to it.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Almondbutter works pretty well as a peanutbutter substitute.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
03-13-2011, 06:31 PM
(03-13-2011 05:10 PM)2Beers Wrote:  Almondbutter works pretty well as a peanutbutter substitute.

lol, I'm allergic to nuts too.
so, soy it is.

03-14-2011, 08:50 PM
I've tried a product called 'Crumbles' and I believe the brand was Morningstar Farms. It worked very well in stuffed peppers and Spanish rice. I'm not a vegan but I do like going meatless every once in a while. I often use pasta - sort of a baked Ziti type of recipe, but I toss in veggies like zucchini, peppers, onions, fire roasted tomatoes, etc. You could add beans for some extra protein and then top with cheese.
My new favorite sandwhich is meatless - roasted veggies (eggplant, zucchini, peppers and onions) on a crusty roll with a lemon and garlic mayonnaise -- OUTSTANDING!!
03-14-2011, 10:36 PM
The "Crumbles" are good! I use them in chili and to make taco filling, and anything else that calls for crumbled meat.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-28-2011, 08:14 PM
I don't want to spoil the conversation with this thought but I always wondered how a vegan would approach insects?

From what I understand some are predicting that insects will make up a large part of our diet in the next 10-20 years. Human population growth and a drive towards environmentally friendly farming practices makes this a possibility. Last I heard a 5th of the worlds population regularly consume insects as part of their diet.

I've also heard of a new type of fungus that is packed with protein, shares similar properties to the taste and texture of tofu and can be fed organic waste.
03-29-2011, 06:11 PM
(03-28-2011 08:14 PM)Vitruvian Man Wrote:  I don't want to spoil the conversation with this thought but I always wondered how a vegan would approach insects?

From what I understand some are predicting that insects will make up a large part of our diet in the next 10-20 years. Human population growth and a drive towards environmentally friendly farming practices makes this a possibility. Last I heard a 5th of the worlds population regularly consume insects as part of their diet.

I've also heard of a new type of fungus that is packed with protein, shares similar properties to the taste and texture of tofu and can be fed organic waste.
Most vegans that I know won't eat anything with a face, so insects are out.

07-13-2011, 07:26 AM
I am no Vegan either but made a choice to no longer eat meat other than the occasional shellfish or fish.
I am a HUGE Indian food fan (Meaning I like it a lot)
I cook mung beans, and daal's in a heavy yellow curry.
In a separate crock type container I heat the dry beans in the curry powder, until they get to temperature, there is something about heating the dry beans in the curry powder that makes a difference, my local Indian restauranteur explained that to me. and when they have started to heat evenly and are stirred add in twice their volume in warm water. Simmer for two hours or until they soften up.
Then, I saute at least 2 different large onions (Vidalia and Red Bermuda work well together) in a little extra virgin olive oil with HUNGARIAN paprika.I add assorted other vege's like Carrot (Sliced, graded, chopped, whatever works for you) Celery, at LEAST 2 cloves of Garlic fresh peeled and chopped fine,cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and pretty much anything that fits.
After that is added into the curry beans I clean the skillet and oil it again, I add in some cubed Extra Firm Tofu, the Extra Firm texture holds the cubes together. I add another 2 chopped cloves of fresh Garlic and some butter (About 4 pats) and let it brown and soak in the garlic. When the bean mix with veges is ready i simply add some fried tofu on top. Makes for a great lunch at the office for a few days.

The answer is....is....42
07-13-2011, 08:37 AM
(07-13-2011 07:26 AM)roaster Wrote:  I am no Vegan either but made a choice to no longer eat meat other than the occasional shellfish or fish.
I am a HUGE Indian food fan (Meaning I like it a lot)
I cook mung beans, and daal's in a heavy yellow curry.
In a separate crock type container I heat the dry beans in the curry powder, until they get to temperature, there is something about heating the dry beans in the curry powder that makes a difference, my local Indian restauranteur explained that to me. and when they have started to heat evenly and are stirred add in twice their volume in warm water. Simmer for two hours or until they soften up.
Then, I saute at least 2 different large onions (Vidalia and Red Bermuda work well together) in a little extra virgin olive oil with HUNGARIAN paprika.I add assorted other vege's like Carrot (Sliced, graded, chopped, whatever works for you) Celery, at LEAST 2 cloves of Garlic fresh peeled and chopped fine,cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and pretty much anything that fits.
After that is added into the curry beans I clean the skillet and oil it again, I add in some cubed Extra Firm Tofu, the Extra Firm texture holds the cubes together. I add another 2 chopped cloves of fresh Garlic and some butter (About 4 pats) and let it brown and soak in the garlic. When the bean mix with veges is ready i simply add some fried tofu on top. Makes for a great lunch at the office for a few days.

WOW that sounds really...really really good!! **tummy rumblin'**

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
07-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Curious, I make my own peanut butter so it doesn't contain hydrogenated oil why wouldn't peanut butter be considered vegetarian?

"An Oasis of Solid Ground in an Endless Sea of Confusion"