Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Meat alternatives
07-21-2011, 10:48 AM
RE: Meat alternatives
(07-21-2011 09:57 AM)Layllah Wrote:  Curious, I make my own peanut butter so it doesn't contain hydrogenated oil why wouldn't peanut butter be considered vegetarian?

The problem is, Mr. Peanut has a face. Wink

But seriously, I think the above conversation was referring to being allergic to nuts, not that they are not vegan.

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-21-2011, 10:50 AM
If it is animal protein you need to cut back on try these: Bison or Buffalo - the meat is very lean. Even more lean than a Fillet. You can find it in any form you want from a strip, Flat Iron and burgers. There is hardly no fat on the meat. I tried it with my family and they thought it was red meat until I told them afterwards.
07-21-2011, 04:12 PM
(07-21-2011 10:48 AM)Rey Wrote:  
(07-21-2011 09:57 AM)Layllah Wrote:  Curious, I make my own peanut butter so it doesn't contain hydrogenated oil why wouldn't peanut butter be considered vegetarian?

The problem is, Mr. Peanut has a face. Wink

But seriously, I think the above conversation was referring to being allergic to nuts, not that they are not vegan.

Exactly. I'm allergic to all nuts, including peanuts, so it's hard to do vegan stuff when I have to...although I'm eating less meat and more fish these days.

07-21-2011, 04:21 PM
(07-21-2011 10:50 AM)Phillip Wrote:  If it is animal protein you need to cut back on try these: Bison or Buffalo - the meat is very lean. Even more lean than a Fillet. You can find it in any form you want from a strip, Flat Iron and burgers. There is hardly no fat on the meat. I tried it with my family and they thought it was red meat until I told them afterwards.
It's true that Bison/Buffalo meat is very lean which must be taken into account when cooking. A well-marbled steak is wonderfully tender, but since Bison meat is so lean, you'll undoubtedly have to add fat to keep it from turning into shoe leather.

By the way... is it Bison or Buffalo? Or are the names interchangeable?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
09-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Seitan. not Satan! sliced thin... think Phili cheese steak. it's made from wheat gluten, is NOTHING like tofu and a great meat substitute!

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
11-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Beans, beans, and more beans! You wouldn't believe how versatile they are. If we're talking processed meat substitute I'm a huge fan of Morningstar Farms and Quorn.

I'm also keen on plain nonfat Greek yogurt as a thickener in sauces or smoothies, and a healthier substitute for sour cream.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Will you be my new personal trainer, Kelly? I've fallen off the diet wagon...and hard!! Huh

"We build our defenses, a place of safety, and leave the darker places unexplored."
11-25-2011, 11:51 PM
(11-06-2011 06:20 PM)Kelly D Wrote:  Beans, beans, and more beans! You wouldn't believe how versatile they are. If we're talking processed meat substitute I'm a huge fan of Morningstar Farms and Quorn.

I'm also keen on plain nonfat Greek yogurt as a thickener in sauces or smoothies, and a healthier substitute for sour cream.

Morningstar Farms is a daily must-have at hour house. I like the Quorn chicken patties and the "meat"balls too.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-07-2012, 08:06 AM
Morningstar Farms, awesome substitutes for chicken patties (I like those better than fried chicken, actually) and fairly tasty meatless "meatballs", if you serve 'em with some nice sauce.
I have also tried Bocca meatless "burgers" (or whatever they call 'em.. it's been a while!) and I liked that, too.
I've heard of Quorn, but can't find it. Is it a regional thing?

If you want something a little different grilled portobello mushroom caps (I'm talking about the big ones, not the cute little "baby bellas") top with a slice of tomato, some baby spinach leaves, and a light smear of mayo (optional) on a burger bun. (I add cheese to mine, but I know some of y'all can't do the cheese. is yummy, though!)
OK, it doesn't really take care of the whole protein thing, but it's still yummy.Smile

And now a word about... Tofu.
The thing about tofu is, it picks up the flavour of what you cook with it. Done right, it's really quite delicious! Even my husband (who loves meat) loves my stir-fry.
If you heat up some oil and add in onion, garlic and ginger, then toss in the tofu chunks, you're on your way. Add a little teriaki (I hope that's spelled right!) sauce and some vegetables, and you're good!
03-08-2012, 06:40 AM
(03-07-2012 08:06 AM)Jenn Wrote:  I have also tried Bocca meatless "burgers" (or whatever they call 'em.. it's been a while!) and I liked that, too.
I've heard of Quorn, but can't find it. Is it a regional thing?

If you want something a little different grilled portobello mushroom caps (I'm talking about the big ones, not the cute little "baby bellas") top with a slice of tomato, some baby spinach leaves, and a light smear of mayo (optional) on a burger bun. (I add cheese to mine, but I know some of y'all can't do the cheese. is yummy, though!)
OK, it doesn't really take care of the whole protein thing, but it's still yummy.Smile

And now a word about... Tofu.
The thing about tofu is, it picks up the flavour of what you cook with it. Done right, it's really quite delicious! Even my husband (who loves meat) loves my stir-fry.
If you heat up some oil and add in onion, garlic and ginger, then toss in the tofu chunks, you're on your way. Add a little teriaki (I hope that's spelled right!) sauce and some vegetables, and you're good!
Chinese Hot n Sour soup, big chunks of tofu, a mix of Chinese veggies, spicy, good broth, and coincidentally, I made stir fry last night, no tofu though. Big Grin

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"