Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"La Villa Strangiato" Oughta Be A Wine Label
03-21-2011, 07:02 PM
"La Villa Strangiato" Oughta Be A Wine Label
Yeah, I know, the risk is you guys might take it too seriously - but - then again, given how much you love your wine, and the fact you live in both California ( Napa ) and Ontario ( Niagara )… it's probably worth taking fairly seriously.

"La Villa Strangiato" - gentlemen, we have a label. ( at least )

The first vintage is guaranteed to be bought just to be tried, and provided it's good ( easier said than done of course ) you've got a cliental.

It would be a labour of love, well ok, a lot of work - no doubt - and you'd have to hire the best talent you could find, both to make the wines and scout the best terroirs/growers, but you guys could easily attract these people - albeit very carefully and prudently. ( admittedly, that part at least isn't very rock 'n roll ).

For what it's worth, the Okanagan is kicking butt these days, with Osoyoos La Rose & the latest monster -> LFNG Portfolio; perhaps another place to start scouting?

Anyway, just an idea, given how you:
  • like your wines
  • live in two big wine making areas
  • "La Villa Strangiato" would make a great label with a first vintage guaranteed to be tried
  • could probably attract some serious talent, while having enough knowledge between yourselves to know who's the real deal and who isn't

Just take your time ...

Hell, if Sammy Hagar can do it Wink

you're never too jaded for irony.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2011, 05:45 PM
RE: "La Villa Strangiato" Oughta Be A Wine Label
Perhaps tequila is a bit less labor intensive with a far quicker payoff?

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
03-23-2011, 09:00 PM
The vocalist from Tool (Maynard James Keenan) has his own wine label (based in Arizona if I remember right)
and how many golfers have their names on wine?
03-23-2011, 09:26 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2011 09:37 PM by OverToasty.)
(03-23-2011 05:45 PM)Mufasa Wrote:  Perhaps tequila is a bit less labor intensive with a far quicker payoff?

Yeah, dear Sammy - the guy's his own living promo department - "Mr Party", with his extremely successful vacation spot at the end of the Baja: a very marketable "lifestyle" vision - the tequila fits right in and frankly, is actually good. Let's face, lightening struck the same place two or three times in Sammy's case: but Sammy seems like a good guy, so I have no qualms about his success.

With the whole Rush wine thing - it would be about guys a key demographic already associates with quality, making something else that demo is interested in of equal quality. The only catch is - trying to make good wine is seriously putting your putter on the table - you have to come thru, and you always risk heartbreak - but I'm guessing the boys are used to that, as they do it every time they make an album Wink

Just a thought.
(03-23-2011 09:00 PM)JrGtr42 Wrote:  The vocalist from Tool (Maynard James Keenan) has his own wine label (based in Arizona if I remember right)
and how many golfers have their names on wine?

There's lots of celebrity wineries out there, Coppola makes good stuff, and I loved his restaurant - Wayne Gretsky's wines are getting good ( he's not even really a big wine fan - but his staff knows what they're doing ) - Dan Aykroyd's wines got off to bad start, but are turning around. Mick Fleetwood was growing Cabernet Franc in California ... the list goes on.

Regardless, it's a big leap, not to be taken frivolously - but if any rock band can pull it off ...

At least they're not competing in the Rum Market Wink

http://www.rondejeremy.com

you're never too jaded for irony.
03-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Yep, Maynard's wines are under the Caduceus brand. Interesting how some things in life just tie together by happenstance, as I'm reading Neal Stephenson's 'Quicksilver' right now, and the symbol and its history have been talked about quite a bit.

Les Claypool of Primus has also made some small run batches as well.

I prefer reds over whites, personally. For some reason, cold wine just isn't appealing to me.
09-05-2011, 06:43 AM
This is an excellent idea. I once saw a great photo of Geddy in his wine cellar. It was the most beautiful I had ever seen.

Hey Bubba, I'd like to oversee that project!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2011, 05:15 AM
Have you seen these wines - hitting the UK stores now. As a fan of AC -DC I will certainly give them a try -

AC/DC “The Wine” will be released in four products: “AC/DC Back in Black Shiraz” (dry red) “AC/DC You Shook Me All Night Long Moscato” (sweet white), “AC/DC Highway to Hell Cabernet Sauvignon” (dry red) and “AC/DC Hells Bells Sauvignon Blanc” (dry white). So, rock fans and wine connoisseurs with a taste for anything from dry reds to sweet whites should find something to please their palates.

[Image: acdc_wine2.jpg]

Living the dream over here in Blighty
09-08-2011, 10:20 AM
I think the one with the guy with the horns on the label will be the one to drink. Every rock band should have a guy with horns. Think how far Caress of Steel would have gone at the time if Ged had worn a set of horns...

(09-08-2011 05:15 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Have you seen these wines - hitting the UK stores now. As a fan of AC -DC I will certainly give them a try -

AC/DC “The Wine” will be released in four products: “AC/DC Back in Black Shiraz” (dry red) “AC/DC You Shook Me All Night Long Moscato” (sweet white), “AC/DC Highway to Hell Cabernet Sauvignon” (dry red) and “AC/DC Hells Bells Sauvignon Blanc” (dry white). So, rock fans and wine connoisseurs with a taste for anything from dry reds to sweet whites should find something to please their palates.

[Image: acdc_wine2.jpg]

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
09-08-2011, 12:07 PM
(09-08-2011 10:20 AM)Rey Wrote:  I think the one with the guy with the horns on the label will be the one to drink. Every rock band should have a guy with horns. Think how far Caress of Steel would have gone at the time if Ged had worn a set of horns...

....Yeah, and ditched the kimonos...Tongue

NWo, feel free to ship over a bottle or four.....I'll take the Highway to Hell Cab Sauv!

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
09-08-2011, 12:22 PM
I think next time I am in London, in The Strand, I might pop into the Savoy Grill (all the concierge blokes where tails and top hats), and order a fillet steak, and a bottle of 2011 AC DC "Highway to Hell" - when the bloke says, "excuse me sir?" I can say, "the one with Angus and his metal horns on the label".

Living the dream over here in Blighty