Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Anyone else ride?
04-27-2010, 08:42 AM
RE: Anyone else ride?
From the picture by our screen name....... it's a 2009 K1200LT BMW. My husband is the Driver/ Rider and I am the happy 2-up person. We just got it in Dec. as we were on a riding hiatus from Oct. '07. A 1984 Chevy suburban turned left in front of us on our other K1200LT and we slammed into it's rear quarter panel going about 50 miles per hour. Riding gear was a main factor in both of us still being here today. So we are now both back in the saddle( per say) and looking forward to putting lots of miles on the bike around some of Wisconsin's lovely twisty, turning roads.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2010, 12:39 PM
In between "big bikes" at the moment. Just sold my BMW R1150R. But my gyroscopic thirsts don't settle for long. So when there is not a motorcycle to be ridden, I call on any one of my dozen or so bicycles. (No, I don't have a cycling problem, why do you ask?)

Today was a treat: clear blue skies and a view of pilot whales swimming under the Narrows Bridge as I pedalled across. Just downed some lovely homemade tamales from a local who sells them out of the back of her station wagon. Speaking of which...I need to start a tamale thread on another page.

"Let's laugh about this together, shall we?"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-27-2010, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2010 12:59 PM by Brutus.)
I love tamales too. But they take a big chunk out of your day to prepare. Surprisingly I had found a place here in Cowfart that prepared them once a week and I'd be first in line because they went so fast. Last time I was there I was informed that they were not offering them anymore. Apparently they just weren't making enough $$$ to bother. Reminds me of that old Keith Richards' quote when asked why he doesn't play jazz (like Charlie Watts was doing) he replied, "Ain't no money in it Jack." Now it looks like I'll be making them myself. It only makes sense to do them in huge batches and then freeze them I guess. Anyone got a tamale recipe?

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
04-27-2010, 05:56 PM
(04-26-2010 09:11 PM)old honda rider Wrote:  For those outside the Great White North, there's a movie I can suggest which shows many of the highlights going from Toronto to Vancouver Island.

It's called One Week, the story of one man's trek across Canada on an old Norton.

I took an Australian friend to see it when it first opened and she was entranced by the scenery and stops along the way.

Plenty of Canadian musicians show up in the movie too; Emm Gryner, Gord Downie to name just a couple. Sadly, no Neil...

If you've never had the desire to travel by motorcycle across Canada, I can virtually guarantee you will after you see the film.
Thanks for the info about the movie! Love to watch a good movie and this should help me get motivated on taking a long ride Northward!
04-27-2010, 07:53 PM
(04-27-2010 08:42 AM)2Beers Wrote:  From the picture by our screen name....... it's a 2009 K1200LT BMW. My husband is the Driver/ Rider and I am the happy 2-up person. We just got it in Dec. as we were on a riding hiatus from Oct. '07. A 1984 Chevy suburban turned left in front of us on our other K1200LT and we slammed into it's rear quarter panel going about 50 miles per hour. Riding gear was a main factor in both of us still being here today. So we are now both back in the saddle( per say) and looking forward to putting lots of miles on the bike around some of Wisconsin's lovely twisty, turning roads.

How many times have I heard about this, but in your case - AT LEAST YOU LIVED to tell the tale. If I may ask, exactly what riding gear? I am usually in full leathers on most of my longer rides, but am interested in what gear you used, more so I can learn from someone who knows first hand what gear it takes. I do wear a helmet, but am considering switching to a better one than I have now.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
04-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Not to derail too much, but since someone mentioned a movie (that i'm now compelled to watch), did anyone else see The World's Fastest Indian with Anthony Hopkins playing Burt Monro? It's a treat. Now back to your regularly scheduled BiTreadal conversation. Smile
04-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Riding all my life.. current bike is a 2007 Suzuki 1250 Bandit.
New Michhelin pilot tires 2/3rds scrubbed. Big Grin
04-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Welcome aboard "P".

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
04-28-2010, 04:11 PM
I ride a 91 Honda VFR. A great bike. I have over 50k on it, and it still pulls like it came off the show room floor.

I went to a restaurant that serves 'breakfast at any time'. So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance. ~Steven Wright
04-29-2010, 10:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2010 11:04 PM by ePhilosopher9.)
Divulging a friend's dream

he wrote:

Last night, I had one of my more bizarre yet vivid dreams in a while, and worthy of going into my book. It was about 7:50 a.m., and I was on my way to work at First NBC in Harvey, which of course I haven't worked there in over 10 years. There I was in traffic on the Pontchartrain Expressway passing the Superdome and approaching the GNO bridge when suddenly, I realized that I was riding my old bike. What in the world made me decide to ride my bike to work from Laplace to Harvey, and how much longer would that take versus driving my car, and why am I just now discovering that I'm on my bike? Well, no time to lose now, I've already pedaled about 25 miles with just a few miles left to go, so I'd better keep going. Wait a minute, I'm dressed in jeans and a tshirt, not my suit. The boss is not going to let me sign in dressed like this, plus I'm all sweaty from biking for miles. Why on earth did I dress like this for work, and ride my bike instead of drive my car? I'd better call Norma to come pick me up right now on the expressway, and bring my suit to change into. What am I nuts? Norma's gonna think I'm a damn fool, no way she's gonna stop what she's doing so she can drive all the way to the GNO bridge to pick me up on the side of the road, plus what's she gonna think when I tell her I rode my bike to Harvey for work in the morning? Well, to hell with it. I'm just gonna keep on riding my bike over the GNO, and when I get to work I'll just make up some story so they'll let me work there in my jeans for the day. So, I'm riding my bike on the elevated shoulder along the railing, when the shoulder suddenly detours into a tunnel filled with a maze of several sets of stairwells and doors with iron bars, with no signs or directions or doormen to point me in the right direction. My initial instinct was to take one of the stairways that led upward, as I figured the GNO was headed upward. I carried my bike up that stairwell which led to a locked door. Next to that door were three other gated doors, and 2 of those were locked. I opened the last door and behind it was another dark stairwell. I carried my bike up that stairwell and came to an intersection of several stairwells, some going up and some going down. I chose the one in the middle and after getting to the top of this stairwell, there were several more locked doors. After checking all the doors, the last one I found was unlocked, so I went through. At this point, either my frustration is waking me up or Norma is waking me up, because it's time for me to go to work. I was already on my way to work; now I have to get up and go to work!

I thought about this several times today, and I conclude that I'll always have tremendous obstacles in my path, and I cannot ask anyone for help, and I have to just keep on moving forward or I'll be stuck on the side of the road.
you can rest at the side of the road, but nobody geds a free ride...

my friend's dreams are gonna kill me flowing across the heartland
Escher painting
Ask your doctor if restless leg syndrome is right for you
I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like, it's got a basket a bell lavalamp and things to make it look good