Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Eagle has landed!
03-28-2013, 06:00 AM
RE: The Eagle has landed!
(03-28-2013 12:06 AM)Scooter Britches Wrote:  Kewl!!! Nice shot!

(very punny!)

In all his years as a golfer, (22 years and MI state champ) he's never shot a double eagle. ...Until now!

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2013, 05:44 AM
A quick story that took place a couple years back right after our life changing day. We took a trip down to Florida to spend some time with family. Mrs. MA and I went out for breakfast to a little ham'n'egger and on the way Lorna is looking for her sunglasses and realizes she left them at our sons place. She battles the blinding sun rays and we get to the joint, leaving our windows down and the car unlocked as we have become accustomed to here in the peaceful quiet north. (our kids rib us about that all the time) and have a good breakfast while gazing out the window in suspended disbelief. This was maybe a month after, well, you know. During breakfast a bald eagle flies by and circles around the parking lot a couple times then takes off into the trees. We finish up our vittles and head back out to the car and lo-and-behold lying on the seat are Lornas sunglasses. Now we can say they were there in the first place (which they probably were) and she managed to get in the car sit on them, not knowing it and getting out of the car without dragging them out with her. Or we can say .....Nah! That didn't just happen!

09-12-2013, 10:40 AM
On Skidaway Island, near where I grew up, there is a very affluent area of the island that is inhabited by eagles.
Some residents actually complained to the Fish & Game Comm to do something about the eagles nom-nomming on the local squirrels.
Evidently the residents were a bit shaken by the tree rats screaming when snatched off of their perches by the raptors.

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
09-13-2013, 07:22 AM
Another time we were walking our 6 month old springer around Pickarel Lake in the spring of 2010. We had circumnavigated about 3/4 of the lake when we heard a rustle above us and a monster eagle had took flight from the tree we were standing under. It swooped down towards Lucy (our springer) as if to size her up and Lucy saw it to and started to run towards it. Both realized the other was no match and the eagle flew to the other side while we (including Lucy) all stared up mesmerized at the sight. I could see a hundred of them and still be awed. I've heard of them picking up fawns and carrying them back to there nests and thought for a moment how this bird could have snatched up a Lucy lunch. Scary but magnificent.

03-07-2015, 06:54 PM
Saw two eagles feeding on a carcass today on the way in, one got angry with a crow as I went by. Wow, they are amazing birds up close!

03-08-2015, 07:17 PM
They are indeed impressive creatures. 2 summers ago while Fireman, myself and 2 of our very close friends were driving around the eastern part of the UP we came across a mother and a yearling snacking on a deer carcass. The yearling was quite impressive in size all on its own.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
12-29-2017, 09:16 AM
Last season a member came in to our club and said she saw an eagle circling outside, of course I had to check it out and lo and behold there were a few of them circling to the west of the shop. I have an ancient cell phone and tried to get a decent shot but failed to capture anything worth keeping. They (Eagles) are seen a lot more often up here, hopefully a good sign! On another note we (Lorna and I) visited Peace Wildlife sanctuary in Punta Gorda recently and saw a pair of eagles that were both seriously injured in different accidents. One lost a wing by puncturing an aerosol can at a dump site, the other lost a wing when it's nest fell from a tree killing its sibling. Although sad stories the up side is that these two have permanent residency at this remarkabl place and have been together for decades.